Pet Insurance Non Rant

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

I am STILL trying to get my claim for Lucy's bout of Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis over a month ago, even more. I thought Real Insurance were okay but they have done nothing but try to get out of paying out the measly $380 for an illness she's never had and i've never made a claim.

They now want me to provide her consult notes from her breeder from 0 - 3 months (I got her at 3 months old). The only thing she has ever had is vaccinations and desexing, I have no consult notes to give them.

How do people insure rescue dogs with no history if this is what its like trying to claim for a dog you've had since 12 weeks old? She was insured a few days after I got her and up until now (she's 20 months old) she's never claimed or had an illness.

What a joke.

Edited by donatella

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was warned off pet insurance unless the dog is worth mega money as all the people I've spoken to have gone through similar things. I have a separate "pet account" connected to my normal account and try to keep it topped up so i can pay vaccinations or emergency stuff, my horse is so accident prone and always hurts herself on holidays or long weekends.

Guest donatella

I said to them on the phone today that all she had from 0 - 12 weeks was vaccinations and i'm happy to fax them a copy of this although it makes no difference to my claim as she had an illness not linked to any vacc she may or may not have had.

They are just making excuses, not replying to my emails unless I phone them. Quick to take your money but when it comes time to actually pay up they fuss you around in the hope you give up I reckon.

I am going to fight them for this as I believe I am entitled to it then I will just keep a savings acct for them or get a credit card for anything major should it happen at the time.

Robbing sons a bleeps

Is there an ombudsman you can contact (or threaten to contact)?

I do the same as MUP. I figure if I have a bank account with the same amount in it as what I would pay for pet insurance, then if there are never any illnesses etc the insurance company doesn't have my money and if there are illnesses I have some money saved up. The risk is if something really really bad was to happen there might not be enough saved up.

I hate having to fight insurance companies for payouts as well, they just try to make it as difficult as possible so you will give up and not claim IMO. So in one way I have more peace of mind without paying for the insurance because at least I will never be in the position where I have paid heaps of money to be covered and then end up having to pay the bills anyway.

I have a rescue dog and petplan has paid put all the claims. They only wanted the history from when I got her. They have even paid for blood tests to be sent to Jean dodds in the US (they're about the same price as Aussie ones$. The downside is that they are a bit more expensive and take ages to pay.

If your dog gets sick on a weekend you're looking at about $1000 to stay overnight - and that I'd before they do anything. OCD had over $6000 paid - worth it. I wish it wasn't!

I am STILL trying to get my claim for Lucy's bout of Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis over a month ago, even more. I thought Real Insurance were okay but they have done nothing but try to get out of paying out the measly $380 for an illness she's never had and i've never made a claim.

They now want me to provide her consult notes from her breeder from 0 - 3 months (I got her at 3 months old). The only thing she has ever had is vaccinations and desexing, I have no consult notes to give them.

How do people insure rescue dogs with no history if this is what its like trying to claim for a dog you've had since 12 weeks old? She was insured a few days after I got her and up until now (she's 20 months old) she's never claimed or had an illness.

What a joke.

Pet insurance can be strain to get them to pay up. Petplan is awful for getting money out of - they assess your claim (which can take forever) and then it takes them up to 2 weeks to print and mail the cheque (insert rolly eyed man here).

Lucy must have had her initial vaccination and check up with her breeder's vet so contact them and ask them for a stat dec.

Guest donatella

Pet insurance would be wonderful if they cooperated but if they're like this about a $380 bill I'd hate to see them swine out one in the thousands.

threaten them with the ombudsman, that's ridiculous and this is coming from someone who works with these insurance companies all the time sending off histories. We had one declined because a vet mentioned 'possible ringworm' it was successfully argued that there was no diagnosis so it should be covered. Ask your vet if they can write them a letter as well. I would be looking into other companies and let real know your dissatisfaction and that you know many pet owners.

Have had pet insurance for around 6 years - over 2 dogs and a cat - with RSPCA (Hollard is behind it) and never have had an issue getting claims processed and paid promptly. This included with a chronically ill dog with numerous claims over an extended period.

It has certainly paid for itself many times over.

Just browsed through the PDS for Woolworths Pet insurance. It has so many exclusions and limits that it is completely useless. Nothing that has ever happened to my dogs is covered and they do not cover ongoing chronic conditions after the first year when they are diagnosed.

I have never found any policy that covers anything I am likely to claim for.

Petplan covers ongoing conditions after the first year with the limit being reset annually. The savings account is great as long as you don't have to claim, and even then it only works out if you don't have something expensive happen

Its Bow Wow Meow for me .All of my puppy buyers are advised to go with them for at lest the first 12 months as this is the primary risk time - if something like a reaction to a vaccine etc shows its usually in the first year .If I had a breed prone to HD Id probably advise the first 2 years and they get the first few weeks free. But all of my puppies go out with a health care card with every thing in them from time and weights at birth and every little thing that happens between birth and when they go home .They also have a vet certificate giving them an all clear or if something shows up such as an umbilical hernia etc there is a notice in writing from the vet about what that is and how or if it may affect the dog through out its life. If the insurance company wanted anything its easily accessible.