Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
~Anne~

Boofy's Ongoing Cancer Battle.

257 posts in this topic

~Anne~   

Boof had a fine needle aspiration on Friday afternoon and sadly he looks to have another MCT. His first was 3.5 years ago and was also on his back leg. This time he has one on one leg that has the appearance of the last one (wart like in appearance) and a second one under the dermis on the other leg. Both show cells and do not appear to be simple lipomas.

Both came up very quickly. In August he had another lump (not path tested as it seemed to be a fatty lump) removed from one leg and several removed from the rim of his eyes (not tested either). Now I am worried that we should have tested the others. The delay, if they were MCTs might be lethal. :(

He is booked in for tomorrow for both of the new growths to be removed. I hope I can come back here and say 'sorry, we don't belong in these threads' but I have a horrible scary feeling this time.

Edited by ~Anne~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Boof is back home. They've had to take a fair amount from both legs in order to ensure they got it all. He's in pain but resting. At 10 years of age now surgery affects him more and this is his third operation in 2 years.

Now we wait for the results. Here's hoping 2013 is a good year for the Boofter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gwp4me   

Anne, best wishes for your Boof, hope he lives a long life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bindo   

Good luck for the results, hope the margins are clear and he recovers well from the surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boof had a fine needle aspiration on Friday afternoon and sadly he looks to have another MCT. His first was 3.5 years ago and was also on his back leg. This time he has one on one leg that has the appearance of the last one (wart like in appearance) and a second one under the dermis on the other leg. Both show cells and do not appear to be simple lipomas.

Both came up very quickly. In August he had another lump (not path tested as it seemed to be a fatty lump) removed from one leg and several removed from the rim of his eyes (not tested either). Now I am worried that we should have tested the others. The delay, if they were MCTs might be lethal. :(

He is booked in for tomorrow for both of the new growths to be removed. I hope I can come back here and say 'sorry, we don't belong in these threads' but I have a horrible scary feeling this time.

I am so sorry - I hate MCT..

Ollie's first round of tumours were all tested. Then 2 days later they had to go back in on the one on his rump as they didn't get clear margins. So the second time they took a lymph node as well and there were issues with that.

He had multiple tumour sites.

The next lot were found on his rump on the other side (3 years after the first lot were removed) and the needle aspirate showed Mast Cells - I decided he had had enough surgery and we left it alone. It went up and down as they do for 3 years before it eventually caught up with him.

Grade 2 MCT, multiple sites, no clear margins on the first round of operations. No clear margins on the second op..

We treated with chemo (vinblastin and lomustein sp??) for 6 months.

He was also treated holistically with 5 mushroom drops, lymphodran, Oxi something (it is in his thread), vit C (loads of it), fish oil and some other herbs..

The chemo damaged his thyroid and he had to have thyroxine for the rest of his life.

He also ended up on carafate for his stomach (due to the chemo or the cancer, we don't know)..

But he lived a pretty good life for over 6 years from his original diagnosis.

Lots have changed since he was dxd.. There are so many new treatments available.

Dogs can live with MCT these days even better than Ollie did..

Find a good holistic vet (we used Vets All Natural in Sydney) and a good oncologist is really important.

Good luck for you and Boof, I hope it all goes well for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
k9angel   

Keeping you and your boy in my thoughts Anne and wishing you both all the best. :crossfingers::hug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Thanks everyone. Still no results. He has recovered well and bounced back again which is great. The results are expected tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

We have mixed results. The left is grade one with clear margins. The right is grade two without clear margins. In the new gradings they are both low. We have to go back in for the grade two and take more to try and get clear margins. If we can't we are looking at follow up treatment and therapy.

Staffyluv - when you said above that you decided not to operate anymore, can you expand on that. I can't see any other way but to go back in to ensure they get it all if they can.

I realise at 10, and with an average lifespan of 13-14 for his breed, he only has a limited time left in his life anyway. Of course, he might also live to 18 or more if he is lucky but how do you know.

Thoughts and advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anne, when we decided not to operate anymore, he was left with an MCT grade 2 tumour - we never had it removed. We had done chemo and all the other stuff so decided to just go with a wait and see approach.. This last tumour went up and down - some days it was a prominent bump and other days you had to feel for it..

It felt like a ball bearing below his skin - it was really hard and a needle aspirate confirmed it was MCT, as all his other tumours had been grade 2, it was assumed this one was as well.

The vet used to keep a check on it as he had regular visits for his thyroid and stomach problems..

We continued holistic treatment through chemo and further on.

He took polarimine every day to reduce the histamine of the MCTs.

Ollie was 12 at his last operation to remove a toe that had an aggressive round cell tumour - this was his last operation. He bounced back OK from this op but we made sure he had all the necessary tests, fluids and pain meds he needed.. This was done because the vet said he would be OK if it was removed or if it stayed he probably had 6 months because it was an aggressive type of cancer..

He lived to 14 years, 4 and a half months.. He had a good innings and we bought him much more time than he probably would have had otherwise.

He still had that last MCT when he was given his wings.

I think it is an individual decision - talk to your vet and oncologist (and holistic vet if you use one) and find out what they think his chances are, then weigh up what you believe his chances are because honestly, if we had gone with what the vet said - Ollie would have only lived until he was about 9 and a half..

It has been a long time since Ollie was dxd and treatments have changed so much.

But one thing I do honestly believe is that the holistic vet in Sydney helped me keep him as well as possible (through all the other treatment) for as long as possible. We liaised through phone, email and our vet (he used to email and fax her all of Ollie's results, so she could tailor a program for him)..

Wishing you and Boof all the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Thanks Staffyluv. I'd love the name of the holistic Vet if that's ok?

He is booked in again for surgery on Monday to remove more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have mixed results. The left is grade one with clear margins. The right is grade two without clear margins. In the new gradings they are both low. We have to go back in for the grade two and take more to try and get clear margins. If we can't we are looking at follow up treatment and therapy.

Staffyluv - when you said above that you decided not to operate anymore, can you expand on that. I can't see any other way but to go back in to ensure they get it all if they can.

I realise at 10, and with an average lifespan of 13-14 for his breed, he only has a limited time left in his life anyway. Of course, he might also live to 18 or more if he is lucky but how do you know.

Thoughts and advice?

Good luck for the 2nd round of surgery. I agree wholeheartedly with staffyluv.....I have just had a phone consult with Dr Barbara Fugere from All Natural Vet Care for my boys inoperable rectal Adenocarcinoma which has spread to the lymph and she was brilliant. Very honest in terms of the realities and prognosis for my boy (which isn't good), practical, concise, easy to relate to and understand and her knowledge and experience is second to none. She has put together a treatment plan for him, combining holistic and traditional veterinary treatments. The treatment plan has been built around reports provided from my vet, the specialist in Melbourne who did the scans etc and then a general discussion with me on his current symptoms and from a TCM perspective his constitution and personality.

Our aim at this point in time is to provide him with the best quality of life, whilst at the same time, just maybe....maybe.....keeping him well and holding the growth, spread of the cancer at bay. If we can do that and it doesn't spread any further then I'm hopeful my boy will be able to live, manage longer than the original prognosis.

Dr Fugere has already been in touch with my vet and we have started Kobe on her recommended drug treatments and in addition I expect to receive on Monday the balance of the treatment program (herbs in capsule form as my boy will not tolerate or take the liquid variety). Throughout our discussion the over riding factor has been Kobe's quality of life and from which angle is going to provide the most effective outcome.

I only had the phone consult with her yesterday and I just wish I had done it sooner..... The two changes we made yesterday on her advice have already made a difference as he is happier and brighter in himself...... We have another consult booked in two weeks as a follow up to see how he is going on the treatment plan. She has also provided advice to my vet on what things to look out for, what bloods to run and when etc etc.

I'm not sure if you are in Sydney so you can actually visit the clinic, but if not, don't be put off by being interstate, especially if you have a supportive open minded vet (as I'm lucky to have) that is prepared to work with Barbara that has the experience in this area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boof had a fine needle aspiration on Friday afternoon and sadly he looks to have another MCT. His first was 3.5 years ago and was also on his back leg. This time he has one on one leg that has the appearance of the last one (wart like in appearance) and a second one under the dermis on the other leg. Both show cells and do not appear to be simple lipomas.

Both came up very quickly. In August he had another lump (not path tested as it seemed to be a fatty lump) removed from one leg and several removed from the rim of his eyes (not tested either). Now I am worried that we should have tested the others. The delay, if they were MCTs might be lethal. :(

He is booked in for tomorrow for both of the new growths to be removed. I hope I can come back here and say 'sorry, we don't belong in these threads' but I have a horrible scary feeling this time.

I am so sorry - I hate MCT..

Ollie's first round of tumours were all tested. Then 2 days later they had to go back in on the one on his rump as they didn't get clear margins. So the second time they took a lymph node as well and there were issues with that.

He had multiple tumour sites.

The next lot were found on his rump on the other side (3 years after the first lot were removed) and the needle aspirate showed Mast Cells - I decided he had had enough surgery and we left it alone. It went up and down as they do for 3 years before it eventually caught up with him.

Grade 2 MCT, multiple sites, no clear margins on the first round of operations. No clear margins on the second op..

We treated with chemo (vinblastin and lomustein sp??) for 6 months.

He was also treated holistically with 5 mushroom drops, lymphodran, Oxi something (it is in his thread), vit C (loads of it), fish oil and some other herbs..

The chemo damaged his thyroid and he had to have thyroxine for the rest of his life.

He also ended up on carafate for his stomach (due to the chemo or the cancer, we don't know)..

But he lived a pretty good life for over 6 years from his original diagnosis.

Lots have changed since he was dxd.. There are so many new treatments available.

Dogs can live with MCT these days even better than Ollie did..

Find a good holistic vet (we used Vets All Natural in Sydney) and a good oncologist is really important.

Good luck for you and Boof, I hope it all goes well for you.

Hi staffy luv and my apologies Anne for slightly hijacking your thread, I noticed you mentioned Ollie had lots of vitamin c....was it IV or administered orally? If it was IV, How much and how often and for how long did you do that for and what noticeable benefit did it provide?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Thanks shepherds. I'm not in Sydney anymore but travel to Sydney is pretty easy and I do it fairly regularly. I have another pug who has epilepsy and his neurologist works out of Sydney uni and one of the specialist clinics and we travel for this with him.

Sorry about your boy's prognosis. It sounds like youre in good hands thoghh. Thankfully with Boof it seems it will be treatable particularly if we can get clear margins. This won't be entirely easy due to the area it is in (just above his hock where it is all bone and gristle and not much else).

As for thread hijacking - hijack away. It's great to see, read and learn about all areas of cancer in our dogs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boof had a fine needle aspiration on Friday afternoon and sadly he looks to have another MCT. His first was 3.5 years ago and was also on his back leg. This time he has one on one leg that has the appearance of the last one (wart like in appearance) and a second one under the dermis on the other leg. Both show cells and do not appear to be simple lipomas.

Both came up very quickly. In August he had another lump (not path tested as it seemed to be a fatty lump) removed from one leg and several removed from the rim of his eyes (not tested either). Now I am worried that we should have tested the others. The delay, if they were MCTs might be lethal. :(

He is booked in for tomorrow for both of the new growths to be removed. I hope I can come back here and say 'sorry, we don't belong in these threads' but I have a horrible scary feeling this time.

I am so sorry - I hate MCT..

Ollie's first round of tumours were all tested. Then 2 days later they had to go back in on the one on his rump as they didn't get clear margins. So the second time they took a lymph node as well and there were issues with that.

He had multiple tumour sites.

The next lot were found on his rump on the other side (3 years after the first lot were removed) and the needle aspirate showed Mast Cells - I decided he had had enough surgery and we left it alone. It went up and down as they do for 3 years before it eventually caught up with him.

Grade 2 MCT, multiple sites, no clear margins on the first round of operations. No clear margins on the second op..

We treated with chemo (vinblastin and lomustein sp??) for 6 months.

He was also treated holistically with 5 mushroom drops, lymphodran, Oxi something (it is in his thread), vit C (loads of it), fish oil and some other herbs..

The chemo damaged his thyroid and he had to have thyroxine for the rest of his life.

He also ended up on carafate for his stomach (due to the chemo or the cancer, we don't know)..

But he lived a pretty good life for over 6 years from his original diagnosis.

Lots have changed since he was dxd.. There are so many new treatments available.

Dogs can live with MCT these days even better than Ollie did..

Find a good holistic vet (we used Vets All Natural in Sydney) and a good oncologist is really important.

Good luck for you and Boof, I hope it all goes well for you.

Hi staffy luv and my apologies Anne for slightly hijacking your thread, I noticed you mentioned Ollie had lots of vitamin c....was it IV or administered orally? If it was IV, How much and how often and for how long did you do that for and what noticeable benefit did it provide?

Thanks

Both, he had 1000mg a day orally all the time and when he got flat he went to the vets for a while and had it via IV.

From memory we did this about 4 or 5 times over the course of a couple of years (so not that often really).

Huge difference. I would take him up, honestly expecting the vet to call with bad news, and pick him up as a completely new dog.

It seemed to be the pick me up he needed and it lasted until the next time he was flat.

When I say flat, you just know when the dog isn't themselves. He became lethargic, not eating, not really interested in much but a cuddle. So a call to the vet and an IV later he would be back to 'normal'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×