Good Foundation Agility Information?

Are there any books/DVDs/Websites/Online Programs for agility foundations anyone would recommend? I'd like to get into agility eventually, but while we're doing other things and focusing on obedience, I'm wondering if there are any materials I can draw foundation activities from, just to change things up every now and then and play some games with.

Any recommendations?

There are lots of foundation games you can play for agility!

Here are some of them:

* Build your reward system/engagement/relationship building

* Circle work/shadow handling

* Body awareness/rear end awareness - walk backwards, walk through a ladder, perchwork, balance discs, all paws in a box

* Wobble board

* Send to a toy or food reward

* Shaping skills - can be done in a lot of the above

* Recalls, especially restrained recalls and other speed work

Some useful DVDs:

Agility Foundation Training - Greg Derrett

Success With One Jump - Susan Garrett

Crate Games - Susan Garrett

Also Greg Derrett and Susan Garrett often run online training programs. I have done two of Susan Garrett's - Recallers and Contact Success - they are awesome and there is a huge amount of material covered, not just what the title suggests. Susan should be running another Recallers soon I think - I know she said she was going to, but I haven't heard it announced yet.

The book 'Agility Right from the Start' is the best foundation resource I have seen - Oz Pet Shop have it at a reasonable price.

You can log onto website www.agilityrightfromthestart.com and have a look at some of it for free plus also see a couple of movies of some of the exercises. It pretty much includes everything that is on most of the foundation dvd's so if finances are tight and you can only afford a handful of resources I would go for this one first.

I am happy to loan you some dvds and some of the SG Foundation Stuff. I am not sure whereabouts in SA you are but they are of no use to me for the moment as my agility dog has been retired so of little use to me for the moment.

Thank you all for the references! I'll definitely check them out.

If you're sure you're happy to borrow them ness, that would be excellent! I'm down South, but am happy to travel. I'm sorry about your girl though. Hopefully you'll get some more information and solutions for her soon. Let me know if you want/need anything in return!

Im also looking at getting into agility even just for something extra to do. Will be adding those dvds and book to my growing list :D Are there any other good books/dvds that others can recommend?

Kavik how do you find out about these online trianing programs?

Edited by whitka

I have several of Susan Garratt's books and DVDs which I love. I have to say the boom Agility Right From The Start looks good. Have just done a search and the cheapest place to get this is the UK Book Depository. $35 including postage. :thumbsup: Some places want $55 plus delivery.