Nikon Owners Pls....

pesh

The 40mm looks good and a reasonable price, remembering you will have to be pretty close to your subjects if you want good close ups.

40mm at DWI

I think Snook has the 105mm HERE she might chime in, I know she was super pleased with it.

There is a few with Tamron macros too, I think CC has a Tamron?

There is also a 60mm micro in Nikon as well. HERE

You probly need to work out how much you have to spend and how much distance you want to be from your subject and take it from there. Macro is a lot of fun!

Thx Tic and Piper. Appreciate all the input.

I'm glad I asked, and the price would fit into my budget with the one you're using Piper.

Birthday present I think....if I can wait that long. :laugh:

Edited by pesh

Thx Tic and Piper. Appreciate all the input.

I'm glad I asked, and the price would fit into my budget with the one you're using Piper.

Birthday present I think....if I can wait that long. :laugh:

Not using it yet, but hoping for it for a birthday present :) I think someone on here does use it though.

Here is a gallery fo shots taken with it My link

Love our D50.

The Tamron 90mm macro is a well-regarded lens, gives an excellent result and no-where near the cost of a Nikon lens. Also check the Sigma macros - I have the Tamron 90 for our Sony cameras, but a lovely Sigma 150mm macro for the Nikons. It was a bit dearer than the Tamron plus heavier, I generally need to use a tripod or support for it, so it is better (for me) in set-up shots, whereas the Tamron is lighter so I can hand-hold for longer.

If you take your camera into a decent store, they should allow you to try a few different lenses on it in store to get an idea of how they feel to focus and hold.

Thx Snook. I had seen the extension tubes, and wondered.

I'm finding all the reading very frustrating, as the dyslexia does throw me. So I think it's going to be more hands on, make the mistakes and ask questions.

Extension tubes - yes I have a set that got a bit of use a few years ago, but to be honest I couldn't be bothered with all the changing, extras to clean, all that. Same reason I wouldn't use extensions with a perfectly good lens, would prefer to work with that lens to get what I want rather than mess about with "inserts". Same with inverting a 50mm or whatever, still need an extra connection piece and the less changing I have to do, the happier. The less lens changes the better for the cleanliness of sensor/camera/lens (or call it laziness) - I prefer to have two bodies set up than need to keep changing lenses, let alone some extra bits in between.

But the ext. tubes give a good result and it would take more expertise and pixel peeping than most of us have to really see a difference. Or Persephone's neat p&s macros - challenge most people to say they were or weren't taken with a DSLR and macro lens if they weren't told.