Catahoulax? In Btp

Does this guy look Catahoula mix? He's marked as a CattleX. He looks ridgy as well.

1300037_zpsfe2d8eed.jpg

The genetic coat pattern in a catahoula is merle not ticking as in a cattle dog. This dog coat pattern is ticking and a could be cattle dog or even BC cross as they can be so heavily ticked the look like cattle dog crosses.

I do wish people would apply a little genetics to breed identification a you often see a dog identified as something it genetically can't be.

ETA you can also get this coat patterning in dalmatian crosses.

Edited by Janba

I was looking at his ears, they look merle. Also blue eyes are common in merle genetics.

ETA. There are breeders of Catahoulas in Australia. Mainly for hunting.

That is more likely to be white hairs inbetween heavy ticking.

This is a dally x basset

post-13563-0-05585900-1357213106_thumb.jpg

ETA If I was choosing a merle breed for a cross I would pick koolie as the most obvious in rural areas in the country.

Edited by Janba

I dunno, they look merle to me. Not saying that he is a catahoula just saying that his ears and eyes indicate merle. Can he be both ticked and merled?

Merle is a dominant gene as is ticking. Ticking occurs on white parts and merle on solid. When you blow the ears up they look more like very heavy ticking with white hairs through them than merle.

This dog is white factored every where except may be his ears which could be patched or just heavily ticked.

Blue eyes do occur in many breeds.

Edited by Janba

OK. So blue eyes are present in non-merles? *merle genetics dummy*

Yes and are considered a fault in most breeds but not all. Breeds like sibes often have the most amazing blue eyes. Blue eyes are also genetically linked to deafness.

Have a look at dotdashdot's avatar picture of her dally. Her ears are very like the ones in your dogs.