Pets And Strata

dougal

For some time now I have been looking at purchasing an investment property, with an option to use at a later date. I have been looking for over 12 months and have found the response of strata bodies to be disgraceful. The latest response I have received when enquiring is "in relation to pets.....no dogs. No noisy pets."

I understand different landlords may not want pets and thus it is difficult to rent, but I have been quite shocked at the response on the purchase side as well. A number of agents have suggested challenging the position, but for me, it's not a good way to start out a neighbourly relationship. Has anybody else had a similar experience? challenged their strata body? I am looking at villas and townhouses, with yards etc, ie suitable for my dogs, not even trying to have a dog in an apartment. :(

For some time now I have been looking at purchasing an investment property, with an option to use at a later date. I have been looking for over 12 months and have found the response of strata bodies to be disgraceful. The latest response I have received when enquiring is "in relation to pets.....no dogs. No noisy pets."

I understand different landlords may not want pets and thus it is difficult to rent, but I have been quite shocked at the response on the purchase side as well. A number of agents have suggested challenging the position, but for me, it's not a good way to start out a neighbourly relationship. Has anybody else had a similar experience? challenged their strata body? I am looking at villas and townhouses, with yards etc, ie suitable for my dogs, not even trying to have a dog in an apartment. :(

Not personally, but have known people who have been successful and people who have been unsuccessful in getting approval for a pet from the strata committee.

There is another forum where people talk about their experiences about this, and there are a few experts who give advice to people. It might be worth you looking in there. Flat Chat

Please let us all know how you go, and good luck. :)

I wouldn't risk it.

Strata bodies can change too over a period of time. A strata might allow a pet (one dog say) at one stage when you purchase, and then, over time, the committee changes, new people move in and don't want pets anywhere and manage to get it put to a vote and then pets are no longer allowed at all - except where they are already there. So no new pets. If you managed to find a strata that allowed pets today, it is no guarantee that by the time you might want to move in that it will still allow them.

I've heard of it happening.

Torrens title..... way to go. (Which I know isn't an option very often for investment)

Thanks Greytmate I'll check it out.

Interestingly dogs have been allowed in a couple of ground floor apartments (generally recently built), although on reflection I didn't want to be constantly worried about the dogs being distracted ie barking at, neighbours above, or worse still, if anybody above objected, throwing food etc into their yard. Probably over thinking this, but planning for a peaceful existence in retirement :D

Thanks jr_inoz, I did wonder how I would stand, in time, if there was a change, even if I had it in writing from the Body Corporate on purchase.

Really frustrating and sad that people are so restricted in how they want to live.

I don't know what state you're in (I'm on my phone!)...

But, buy my place!!! It's about to go on the market soon!

Really though, I specifically bought this place because I would be able to have the animals. I'm one of 6 units, but we have no common land, all have street frontage, no strata at all! It's great! So I have the size/maintenance of a townhouse/unit but it's treated like an independent house.

There will be a few around there with established pets allowed rules, you just need to be patient and Maybe compromise on a few other things. You know, upper north shore grannies love their little lap dogs :laugh:

I wouldn't risk it.

Strata bodies can change too over a period of time. A strata might allow a pet (one dog say) at one stage when you purchase, and then, over time, the committee changes, new people move in and don't want pets anywhere and manage to get it put to a vote and then pets are no longer

allowed at all - except where they are already there. So no new pets. If you managed to find a strata that allowed pets today, it is no guarantee that by the time you might want to move in that it will still allow them.

I've heard of it happening.

Torrens title..... way to go. (Which I know isn't an option very often for investment)

What does Torrens title mean? We don't have that term here.

Dougal, my house is a dual occupancy, I own mine and the other is rented. They are strata titled as we share water and sewerage supply and a bit of common driveway but there is only me and one other owner so makes negotiation easier. Also, our strata is divided 52/48% because of land size so if you got a larger share you would technically have more say than the other owner in a disagreement. I dont know if there are any around where you are looking but just a thought.

We live in a ground floor unit with 2 dogs, a turtle, a lizard and a toddler....and we used to have a cat as well. Our strata is unusually good and we had no issue with having doof when we bought-I got written permission before we signed anything. We had to get special permission as the by-law states that dogs must be carried on common areas but he weighs 27kg, so no way. We got written permission before we got kodiak too. But we are lucky that it isn't a fussy group, I hear horror stories of strata's that don't let you hang washing on your balcony, no-one here could care less about that stuff.

We did have some issues with things being dropped from units above which caused doof to go nuts with fear barking. So my husband took matters into his own hands and built a huge pergola so people can't do that anymore :laugh:

When I had my unit in WA, I got my Kenny, after all I'm paying the mortgage & the expensive monthly strata fees. The Body Corp said I had to get rid of him, as there was a no pets clause in the strata. When I asked how come 3 people had cats, they said, OH, they had the cats before we changed the rules, so they are allowed to keep them.

I naturally refused to get rid of Kenny, then I was served a writ, saying they were taking me to court & were going to sue me for as much as they could.

Needless to say I moved out & sold my unit, bloody ridiculous, you can't have a pet on your own property. :o

Would love to see a 27kg pup being carried through the common areas :laugh: . One of the units I looked at had the same rule, although they were prepared to allow 2 dogs in a 1 bed apartment. Wasn't sure how I was going to carry my two across the threshhold.

Pergola is a good idea - did you have to get strata permission?

dougal years ago I put in an offer on a townhouse in Coffs Harbour with a clause in the contract that a letter from the strata approving my two cats be available at settlement - no letter of approval = no settlement. This took the emotion out of it and the owners agent worked hard to get the approval. I made it very clear it was a deal breaker and was prepared to move on if needs be. My animals were not negotiable (and I was under pressure as an old friend was babysitting them for me while I purchased).

I got my approval. The interesting thing is they became much loved community cats in the complex, known by name and well looked after while I was at work by the elderley couple in the front unit where they made themselves right at home during the day! And missed when I moved out... (They even got Christmas cards! :laugh:)

Good luck!

Would love to see a 27kg pup being carried through the common areas :laugh: . One of the units I looked at had the same rule, although they were prepared to allow 2 dogs in a 1 bed apartment. Wasn't sure how I was going to carry my two across the threshhold.

Pergola is a good idea - did you have to get strata permission?

Yes we needed permission but it would appear to be a LOT bigger than folks imagined :laugh: we submitted the plans to the exec committee and they said it was fine subject to council. The council has exemptions and it is just within those guidelines so we are all good :D

It's funny but a lot of people here actually don't realise we have dogs. We don't walk them locally - tend to drive somewhere then walk, and if I'm chatting to a neighbour and mention them they usually express shock that we have them here at all :laugh:

:cry: wrong State unfortunately. Looking for Upper North Shore in Sydney.

Dougal buy off plan in Waterloo/ Zetland where I have...a dog loving area and pets allowed in most buildings as an expected norm...a great feeling! Off leash parks everywhere :thumbsup:

Pyrmont too. Pricey but pet friendly buildings!

It's great that newer developments are accommodating. It seems to be the established villas/townhouses (or older apartment blocks) that haven't got with the program :(

If it was purely investment I'd look at inner city, but want to try to avoid the city when I start to reduce work days (and my kids are based on the North Shore).

As Kirsty & Phil say.....got to find the compromise :D

As Kirsty & Phil say.....got to find the compromise :D

Yes...K and P very wise!! You may have to be a pioneer in that case as I was in my current Bondi building... I think the North Shore however may be more conservative and frankly in older buildings with owners who have held in the building for decades the problems arise. Newer, younger owners tend to be pretty liberal on this subject :thumbsup:

Edited by FlyingFurball