Dog Bitten While In Boarding Kennel

Bisart Dobes

Thank you Espinay2 - really appreciate you posting this I will forward it to his owners. I hope they report it, its just not good enough but I have privately now heard alot worse stories from this kennel.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only kennels I will trust our tibbies with (& before that, our shelties) has a vet on staff who keeps an eye on the cat & dog guests. They also have a Pet Space where you can get up- to -date online reports on your pet during its stay. Like how its eating or settling...or how any ongoing treatment needs are being monitored.

That sounds a very good kennel - care to share the name? As someone who has a dog needing regular grooming and occasional kennel care I agree these threads raise some very worrying aspects. How do you trust anyone?

Samford Pet Resort in Brisbane. Owned by same family for decades. I see you're in NSW. Maybe the SPR people could tell you about a similar one in your state. There's a section on their website where you can ask questions:

http://www.samfordpetresort.com.au/

Back O/T. Strikes me that anyone presently in charge of our dogs, whether groomer or kennels, is subject to the same animal welfare laws as anyone else. For example, under Q'ld law, it's required that the person get proper treatment for their injured pet. So why not kennels?

Edited by mita

Back O/T. Strikes me that anyone presently in charge of our dogs, whether groomer or kennels, is subject to the same animal welfare laws as anyone else. For example, under Q'ld law, it's required that the person get proper treatment for their injured pet. So why not kennels?

They are required to seek proper treatment and there are penalties wich can be applied if they don't. For NSW VIC this is in the legislation in the links I posted above.

Edited by espinay2

They are required to seek proper treatment and there are penalties wich can be applied if they don't. For NSW this is in the legislation in the links I posted above.

Thanks for that. I'm not surprised the law would be the same on that point. Now to get it applied in cases like the OT's.

I know you have been inundated with PMs requests for the name of this kennel, but as I'm in Melbourne I too would appreciate a PM with the details. I've just recently boarded my three kiddies and they seemed to have a great experience. Looked great when I picked them up, relaxed, got their respective bags back - knew exactly what was theirs, etc.

As it was apparent in my queries about kennels, I'm paranoid about leaving my babies. Mind you, I've had bad experiences with babysitters (really bad - and they were vetted, interviewed, etc), and wouldn't leave them with my family. Only person I reckon I would trust is Mama Moocher (aka Danny's Darling), but then I reckon I would be lucky to get Kisho twice! (I suspect she may find an excuse to keep him!!).

Yes - this is a great link. Thanks for posting Espinay2. Very handy now that I'm living in Melbourne. Also interesting that it covers 'home boarding' as this seems to be more popular and could be more of a cottage industry, less controlled.

It's clear from this Code of Practice that the owners have recourse. However, it could also get he said-she said sort of stuff. Very hard to prove once they have left the premises. This really needs to be identified before the dog / animal departs otherwise the kennels could easily say that it didn't happen on their premises. Did they take photos immediately after getting the dog back? This would also be necessary to indicated the weight loss.

I know you have been inundated with PMs requests for the name of this kennel, but as I'm in Melbourne I too would appreciate a PM with the details. I've just recently boarded my three kiddies and they seemed to have a great experience. Looked great when I picked them up, relaxed, got their respective bags back - knew exactly what was theirs, etc.

As it was apparent in my queries about kennels, I'm paranoid about leaving my babies. Mind you, I've had bad experiences with babysitters (really bad - and they were vetted, interviewed, etc), and wouldn't leave them with my family. Only person I reckon I would trust is Mama Moocher (aka Danny's Darling), but then I reckon I would be lucky to get Kisho twice! (I suspect she may find an excuse to keep him!!).

Lol! Wonderful little dog!