Dog Bitten While In Boarding Kennel

Bisart Dobes

For those of you wondering about whether to use a kennel, a few notes.

1. No kennel is perfect, but some are excellent...and some are to be avoided totally.

2. In really bad kennels, worse things happen than wounds. I've been told that one of the neighborhood kennels where I used to live in WA overbooked at Xmas and was keeping some of the extra dogs outside at night. The kennel owner doesn't live on premises. Some dogs dug under the fence on Christmas Eve. Three were killed by cars on a busy road, and one was seriously hurt.

3. If something bad is going to happen in a kennel it will happen at Xmas. Kennels are fully booked for three weeks in a row and its the hardest time to find staff. This is worse for larger kennels who can't rely on family and friends to fill in for shifts.

4. Read the contract before you book in. Some kennels use contracts carefully written by lawyers to absolve them from all responsibility.

5. No kennel is better than its staff. Good staff leave bad kennels. Look for places who have had their workers for years, and avoid places where the manager and or owner doesn't sleep within earshot of the kennel.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm leaving my two pugs for one night with my mum this weekend. It will be her first time with them both overnight and although I trust her, I'm still terrified :laugh:

I don't know how people leave them in kennels!!!

Edited by minimax

Not all kennels are bad. I recently boarded my dogs for 14 days during the busy Christmas time. The kennel took care of all our instructions, applied all the meds, and going by the condition they were returned in, they looked very fit and happy. However, I would avoid any kennels that board strange dogs together or allow strange dogs to play together.

Does the DPI in Victoria govern the running of Boarding Kennels? They do in NSW, and may be another avenue to look into.

As well as Fair Trading or the ACCC - if the owners have contracted and paid for a service they clearly haven't received (ie single accommodation).

I'm leaving my two pugs for one night with my mum this weekend. It will be her first time with them both overnight and although I trust her, I'm still terrified :laugh:

I don't know how people leave them in kennels!!!

I'm lucky, I have a couple of friends who house sit my 3, and another who will take them at her place. I also had a cat and birds until fairly recently and they were all cared for on different occasions for up to 4 weeks at a time..

2 of the 3 friends own pugs as well (in fact they were rescues they had adopted from me a few years ago) and one of them brings his two pugs down with him for a holiday. He finds it difficult to find people to look after his 2 as he hasn't any family in Aus and there aren't a lot of places he can holiday and take his dogs, so he holidays at my house while I am on holiday. The arrangement works really well for all of us.

If I boarded my 3 it would cost me an arm and a leg as one of them is an epileptic which is considered 'critical care' and he isn't suited to being left in a run on his own as his seizures can be very regular. I also do not vaccinate my dogs so this causes issues.

Just spoke to his owner. The owner of the kennel said to her "I can offer you no explanation". The kennel said to his owner that they have no record of any incident, no-one has recorded any injuries or fights etc etc

Thats it.

Just fantastic - a short single coated dog is bitten and not one person that owns it or works there noticed the punture wounds or blood or anything. They are in a place that he cannot get to so he couldn't have licked it clean either. I could see them from the fence 5 mtrs away when I first saw him. The worst thing is that he didn't receive any veterinary care for at least 5 days and the deepest one is now infected - and if no-one noticed then it didn't even get cleaned or have anything applied to it.

I am quite frankly - disgusted.

Just spoke to his owner. The owner of the kennel said to her "I can offer you no explanation".

It's not good, but at least they didnt try to make something up to cover themselves.

Agree with Clyde, at least they didn't make excuses. It is still disgraceful though :mad . Will they at least be paying the vet bill?

Just spoke to his owner. The owner of the kennel said to her "I can offer you no explanation". The kennel said to his owner that they have no record of any incident, no-one has recorded any injuries or fights etc etc

Thats it.

Just fantastic - a short single coated dog is bitten and not one person that owns it or works there noticed the punture wounds or blood or anything. They are in a place that he cannot get to so he couldn't have licked it clean either. I could see them from the fence 5 mtrs away when I first saw him. The worst thing is that he didn't receive any veterinary care for at least 5 days and the deepest one is now infected - and if no-one noticed then it didn't even get cleaned or have anything applied to it.

Totally. Absolute garbage on the part of the owner. He/she should be moving heaven and earth to find out what happened. Someone is not coming forward.

I hope your friends take this further. Five days without treatment. Was the dog even fed????

Just spoke to his owner. The owner of the kennel said to her "I can offer you no explanation".

It's not good, but at least they didnt try to make something up to cover themselves.

Huh. Not good even comes close. The owner should have added, "But, I will not rest until I find out what happened."

Agree with Clyde, at least they didn't make excuses. It is still disgraceful though :mad . Will they at least be paying the vet bill?

They wouldn't even acknowledge responsibility for it happening - so there was no appology, no offer to pay the vet bill - no nothing.

Thats it.

Totally. Absolute garbage on the part of the owner. He/she should be moving heaven and earth to find out what happened. Someone is not coming forward.

I hope your friends take this further. Five days without treatment. Was the dog even fed????

No mention of trying to find out what happened at all. I am not sure what his owners are going to do - we bred the dog, I wouldn't be letting it rest at that and I certainly will be doing the opposite of recommending anyone to this kennel.

At least 5 days without treatment :mad - if I did this as a breeder I would be charged with cruelty - the same with them as owners - I can't believe that someone doesn't know what happened. Their vet is a very well known influential vet and they are disgusted as well.

And the dog weighed 7 kilo's less when he came out of the kennel than when he went in. The vet wasn't impressed with that either - thats a big weight loss over a week.

Word of mouth is a powerful tool.

And the dog weighed 7 kilo's less when he came out of the kennel than when he went in. The vet wasn't impressed with that either - thats a big weight loss over a week.

:mad

That would be enough for me to stop using the kennels anyway.

I'm sorry to hear about the injuries to the Dobe and hope he recovers quickly.

Another sad story regarding inappropriate business practices and poor standards of care when entrusted with our beloved companions. There are issues surrounding identifying these businesses, however, when we do find the holy grail and experience exceptional service maybe we should all ensure we recommend that business in a thread or section for the benefit of like-minded DOLers with similar values and standards. I don't know if a rating system where members can vote would cause angst for Troy and those who advertise here however.

Just a thought.

S

Thats it.

No mention of trying to find out what happened at all. I am not sure what his owners are going to do - we bred the dog, I wouldn't be letting it rest at that and I certainly will be doing the opposite of recommending anyone to this kennel.

At least 5 days without treatment :mad - if I did this as a breeder I would be charged with cruelty - the same with them as owners - I can't believe that someone doesn't know what happened. Their vet is a very well known influential vet and they are disgusted as well.

Word of mouth is a powerful tool.

7 kilos in a week and they didn't notice a bite mark.

No one has looked at/feed glanced at this dog its entire stay. I'd be going to the RSPCA