First Ever Season, For Both Of Us!

Simply Grand

I posted in the Aussie thread but I feel weirdly excited about it so I'm posting here as well. What was that question about what dog people get excited about... :o

As of this evening Quinn is swollen and bleeding with her first season, 2 days short of 14 months old :) As per the title, this is the first bitch I've ever had, let alone the first season I've dealt with.

It happened so quickly, on Wednesday she looked normal, I didn't check yesterday as I wasn't well and mid-arvo today I noticed she was looking a little swollen but still normal colour. I thought ok, she'll probably start bleeding in the next couple of days. By 7:30 this evening, her vulva was pink and there was blood. Does it normally happen that quickly? (I'm sure it does, I was just expecting the swelling to build up gradually to bleeding for some reason).

I was actually at the the dog park when I noticed it had changed to pink, we were the only ones there so I let her keep running around with my other two. An entire male SBT then turned up He had a good sniff and she was happy to play with him but kept flipping around if he got near her back end so I let them go for a minute or so, warning the other owners that we'd have to grab them if there was any sign of mounting, but they were fine. Other than that the only other dog who came in was a 5 month old bitch who we know and they played fine for a while. I wanted to give Quinn a last play as I guess now I can't take her back to the park for a while!

Interestingly I had them down there for a little while this morning and Quinn had a (very minor) scuffle with a two year old Samoyed bitch - they eyed each other, each growled and both stood up and did front paw contact (all in maybe 2 seconds) the other owner and I both said hey girls what's going on and called them away from each other and all was fine, but Quinn has never growled at another dog before. I guess this explains why she did that!

So, I'm excited and relieved to know she seems to be fertile! Now to manage my first ever bitch in season! Is there anything special I should be doing for her?

The yard is pretty secure and I will leave her shut inside when I go out just in case. She is shut inside at night. I assume I shouldn't take her out off lead and should keep her away from other off lead dogs as well while she's in season.

How do I tell when the season is over? Will she be swollen the whole time? I know the discharge changes colour for about the second week, does it stop for the third?

She seems to be a bit bothered about the bleeding, although it doesn't seem to heavy yet, she just keeps licking, licking, licking. Should I be doing anything to soothe her or just let her be, or will she get used to it?

Thanks everyone!

Oh, and I will be emailing her breeder to let him know she has come in and asking him for any tips, but the more advice I can get the better :)

Edited by Simply Grand

Just do NOT walk her anywhere from your house ..she will be leaving a trail !!

also..walks - ON LEAD only for the next few weeks will need to be somewhere there are NO other dogs , or bitches... it is very unfair to have an in season bitch around other entire dogs not your own.

The swelling should increase ..then decrease over that third week ...

check your yard .. sometimes an in season bitches' hormones will tell her to go find a mate ..and give her the energy and skills needed to leap tall buildings with a single bound!!!

Ok cool, so I'll have to drive her somewhere for her exercise, which is fine. Will she leave smells around that will rile up other dogs if I take her somewhere early/late/when other dogs aren't around? Like can I walk her on tracks where I know other dogs go, but at quiet times? There will also need to be lots of mental training I think to tire her out more, new tricks to be learnt!

I am slightly worried about one side of the fences, which is timber. The rest is tall colourbond but I may need to head to Bunnings tomorrow to get fence extenders for the wooden bit. It was already concerning me that a determined male could get in.

Each bitch is different, some bleed for the whole season, some stop within a day or two and others are textbook :D

With walking, I still walked her around the area not very far though I do try to take her to ovals mostly.....my reasoning is dogs have incredible smell and they will be able to smell her in the backyard regardless of whether you walk her around there or not :)

I would be more inclined to take her to an oval so you can see in all directions and put her on a long line so she can have a run.

Just keep an eye on her when she is outside, otherwise leave her inside.

Oh my goodness, Tollers thank you for explaining in the other thread that yep, it is boom and they are in.

I was going to say that my boys (both desexed) seem to be acting normal, is that likely to continue, but for the last 30 minutes Saxon has been trying to hump her! 1. He was desexed at 6 mths, he's now 3.5 yrs. 2. He has never humped Quinn before, she's been here for 1 year 3. He doesn't particularly like her, and 4. He was not at all interested until 30 minutes ago.

Quinn is encouraging him. Ahhh hormones.

desexed males CAN mate AND tie with a bitch ...and for a maiden bitch ..this could be a very upsetting experience , as well as teaching the boy a habit you may regret later on :(

be careful..keep her separated ....

Edited by persephone

Just be careful, desexed males can still mate and tie a bitch. I have a desexed boy who has never looked sideways at her and she ignores him (apart from the occasional hump LOL) so he is left with her to keep her company.

The hormones do wonderful things to the boys :rofl:

I was going to say that my boys (both desexed) seem to be acting normal, is that likely to continue, but for the last 30 minutes Saxon has been trying to hump her! 1. He was desexed at 6 mths, he's now 3.5 yrs. 2. He has never humped Quinn before, she's been here for 1 year 3. He doesn't particularly like her, and 4. He was not at all interested until 30 minutes ago.

Quinn is encouraging him. Ahhh hormones.

desexed dogs still are males!!!

You will need to keep them seperated otherwise if they should actually tie there could be damage done and also being the bitches first season you definately do not want any type of trauma associated as if you intend to breed this could create problems with behaviour later down the track.

You can get bitches britches (little bikini pants) to use which you place on the bitch with little liner inside to help with soiling around house bedding etc, and stop the licking which can cause localised irritation. These pants will not stop dogs mating they are purely to use as an aid and you have to remove for dogs to go toilet etc. I have baby gates set up with a full high one on one side of a hallway and a 2nd one further down so no way can my desexed male dog get within cooee of my girl and I can let her out to go outside to toilet and keep him in and vice versa and also when I am away there is no way either can get near the other they both have plenty of freedom and yet sepearation for safety. I put all these things in place and have gotten her use to wearing the pants etc now so when time comes it will be accepted just like banding her hair and clipping has been.

There is also a dog cologne product you can get to spray on bitch around tail and back legs to help with off setting the doggy phermones. and if you give chlorophyll tablets this also helps with decreasing scent.

Oh god, I am definitely glad I asked!

I will get her some pants as she will definitely still be inside alot during her season.

I will watch them and keep them separate when I'm not watching for now. So far Riley doesn't seem to care, but it's only day 1. Luckily I'm not working FT right now so am spending alot of time with them. The house is already set up to keep them apart if need be, and the yard can be, that was already a consideration in getting Quinn (third dog,

bigger, female).

Watching .... Hmmm it's not really fair to let the boy/s get all eager and try mounting in the first place , IMO . if it were my household , they would be separated ..

I know they are desexed, but also be aware , she ,and they , could well urine mark, too!!

*thank goodness for secure runs , and also for desexing!!*

:)

No perse, I know what you mean for sure. When I say watching, as in now, I'm still up watching tv, all three dogs are in different spots in the lounge room sleeping and have been for a while now. My plan for bed tonight is that Quinn will be in my room as normal as I don't want her to stress with her hormone changes. The boys will sleep out of the room.

Bunning's tomorrow to fix the fences and divide the house properly, boys up one end, Quinn the other, and the cat in the bedroom and porch!

This is exactly why I chose to pour every cent into owning my house, so I can drill, screw, adjust etc to suit my pets :)

Oh yep Pers know all about the territory marking my usually fantastic controlled desexed boy went to visit somewhere recently which had multiple bitch's in varying stages of season and he ran around like maniac squirt here squirt there, and even went in persons house totally embarrassed as never ever done this in his life.

One of mine has decided this week in season she can easily climb six foot fences. :eek: Only to get to the back of the house as we have a secure bitch pen - but still not safe (we have males in the other part of the yard). So the bitch pen fence has gone up to 8 foot with a soft wire top to reduce grip and climbability. :eek:

She has before turned into a rampant trying to escape monster around her seasons, and is very peaceful and placid normally. They really can do strange and surprising things and seem very different to their normal personalities sometimes!

Some idiot has been biringing his in heat bitch to our dog park! I noticed my desexed boy sniffing and mounting her yesterday and quickly pulled him off today he was back and it was a nightmare bitch kept running up and trying to stand for him and I had to put my boy on the lead and even then he was frantic. Guy is an idiot just stands on opposite side of the oval and let's it happen. So yes neutered males can become crazy even 10 year olds!!

In some council areas it is against the by laws to take an in season bitch out. Not saying I know anyone who's ever been prosecuted, but something to consider!

Mine don't leave the property either - just too much danger of them picking up a stray bug.