Advertising

Waggy

Have just been reading some Dog mags my sister has lent to me . Noticed all the big dog ads of the big winning dogs. Some dogs have a full page spread every month. Lovely to see but why do these people pay big money for these ads always with the handler in. Would judges really be influenced by these ads? What do others think? I personally cannot afford such ads. Does this put me and others at a disadvantage?

I think many people think so. And I'm sure some judges who lack faith in their own abilities, or think they are playing swapsies games with other exhibitor/judges could be influenced by them. People are just people after all and all are different.

But I still like to hope that would be a minority, and that many judges have personal standards and judge dogs and not people.

Maybe I'm naive? Or hopelessly optimistic? :laugh: I could never afford such ads either. :eek: Showing is an expensive enough hobby!!

Often the purpose of an ad is not just to influence judges but to intimidate or otherwise get up the nose of the competition. So don't allow the ads to intimidate you.

Sometimes you will come up against someone with an advertising assisted profile in dog world and the judge will opt for the "safe" choice but it's not a single ad that produces that result, but a long campaign, sometimes of years, building up a kennel's profile. Often (not always) those people have the better dog anyway.

Also bear in mind that a significant proportion of ads have crap photos that show problems with the dog, and otherwise insult the intelligence of judges. Money helps, but it isn't a magic route to success. Pat Hastings based her whole lecture series on dog construction here in Australia on pictures of dogs she had taken from show ads. Some of them were gobsmackingly awful.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

The packages to advertise are very cheap in the scheme of things.

Yes many do it in the hopes to win more ,many others do it because its one of the options to get your kennel name out there world wide as the mags area world wide thing.

But as already mentioned chossing the right picture & then putting together a out there but simple ad seems a bigger issue.

So many have all the fancy crap,way to much wording & photo's that aren't the best

I have taken ads out & also been lucky to win half/full pages as dogshow prizes .

On the flip side...I imported an Aus Grand Champion in my breed. Different colour to what was normally seen and he couldn't win to save his life...he was far superior than some of the examples I'd shown in the past (as you always wish to improve) and yet, he couldn't be found in the group line up to save his soul....In Canada, to obtain a title, I had to win in the group for points. Not an easy feat but I had done pretty good up til then.

I was very well known as a handler of other dogs, and breeder/handler of my own breed and yet, couldn't place in a weak group with low numbers.

Normally I would wait and have a good photo taken of a decent win, and have that printed in the national mag...this time, I took just a good selection of photos taken on a local beach by a good friend with a talent for the right camera angle....and put a well worded ad in place....

He wasn't even pointed in Canada, but he was a Grand Champion here, so I used that in BIG letters. The weekend after the mag was in the hands of the judges....he placed group 2 and group 1.....he went on to finish his title in a couple more weekends, with more group wins. I campaigned him that year to top in the breed with about six months of showing after the ad came out.

Coincidence between not winning and then suddenly winning big after publication? No, I don't think so.....

Very true angelsun :D

Many years ago someone put a double-page spread in a magazine with several photos of the dog, lots of over-enthusiastic wording about it's virtues.

Same advert appeared the following month with a little photo of the handler inserted.

Never understood why........... :laugh: :laugh:

Yes some judges will be influenced by advertising - people are influenced by advertising, that's why so many companies spend so many millions of dollars trying to convince you to buy their toothpaste.

Yes I find it amusing the awful photos sometimes chosen - especially the movement photos showing a dog with three feet off the ground at a trot :eek:

Personally I think some also do it just to satisfy their own egos. Like the ads about the dog that mention the owner/handler is "all breeds judge" or similar. Like that really has anything to do with the dog in the ad. If the ad was about the dog then the owner/handler doesn't need to be mentioned. Or where they state "BIS, RUBIS, BISS, or RUBISS" as if it is some official title. I was under the impression it was against ANKC rules to use unofficial titles such as these on a dog registered with a state canine council. Could be wrong about that one though.

Also worth noticing that one of the mags that has quite a lot of these ads is sent to all judges free of charge.

I don't even buy these mags anymore as I am feed up with all the ads in them. Many of them have more ads than actual article content, and the ads are so blatant in their intention.

On the flip side...I imported an Aus Grand Champion in my breed. Different colour to what was normally seen and he couldn't win to save his life...he was far superior than some of the examples I'd shown in the past (as you always wish to improve) and yet, he couldn't be found in the group line up to save his soul....In Canada, to obtain a title, I had to win in the group for points. Not an easy feat but I had done pretty good up til then.

I was very well known as a handler of other dogs, and breeder/handler of my own breed and yet, couldn't place in a weak group with low numbers.

Normally I would wait and have a good photo taken of a decent win, and have that printed in the national mag...this time, I took just a good selection of photos taken on a local beach by a good friend with a talent for the right camera angle....and put a well worded ad in place....

He wasn't even pointed in Canada, but he was a Grand Champion here, so I used that in BIG letters. The weekend after the mag was in the hands of the judges....he placed group 2 and group 1.....he went on to finish his title in a couple more weekends, with more group wins. I campaigned him that year to top in the breed with about six months of showing after the ad came out.

Coincidence between not winning and then suddenly winning big after publication? No, I don't think so.....

Agree with your last statement! :laugh:

If I was rolling in money, I would use advertising. Heck FB is free advertising these days. I have been called three times by friends to "comment" on old win photos the weekend before shows to bump photos, (which I refused to do btw.)

I have personally spent any spare cash in my breeding though, after all at the end of the day advertising an average dog might make it win (ok many are lovely but there are few meh dogs doing big winning because of flashy adds) but where would your breeding program be? I guess I am a long term thinker?

Each to their own I guess, I love looking at the creative adds and gorgeous photos though :).

Quote yarracully "Also worth noticing that one of the mags that has quite a lot of these ads is sent to all judges free of charge. ". I don't think this is doing good things to the dog world in general though..at all.

Edited for iPad...(roll eyes!)

Edited by Missymoo

I love reading peoples show brags and seeing photo's on facebook .... soon AFTER the show ....

What I find annoying are the ones that post pics regularly on the Friday BEFORE showing.

Do they think people are that stupid ???

It's been know to happen and yes those that post such things have come unstuck a number of times.