Going To Tick Country - Which Preventatives

Hi all

Just a quick question, I'm taking my dog through tick country - Adelaide to QLD via Canberra, Sydney and Newcastle and maybe a few other places.

Last time - I fed her proban tablets - and we didn't get any ticks but I think that may have been luck more than anything. Either that or ticks don't like being immersed in water much - cos we did a lot of swimming too.

This time - I still have some proban left. I was thinking of buying some permoxin spray - that says it covers for about 2 weeks - tho I suppose need to reapply if dog gets wet? Or not? And using advantix.

But I'm currently using revolution - for heartworm and fleas and etc.

would revolution + permoxin be enough? Or would putting all the other stuff on too - be overkill eg advantix and proban?

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

I live smack bang in tick country (mid north coast of NSW) and I use Advantix regularly. Just can't afford not to, I hear about too many death stories or near misses at work.

I also have Permoxin in the cupboard which I will use for added protection if walking through the bush or anything. But usually I feel Advantix is enough (applied fortnightly-3 weekly in summer).

Im not sure if Permoxin is waterproof, hence why I only use it if walking thru the bush (we live near the beach). Proban is out of production.

I lived in a very bad tick area. The dogs occasionally got ticks with tick collars and Advantage. I changed to Permoxin .... no ticks. The vets use Permoxin when they have a tick dog, and can't find the tick. I used it once a week.

What is Permoxin that everyone keeps talking about?

here is a link that may help Ellis

http://www.vetshopaustralia.com.au/permoxin-C98.aspx

Permoxin is a concentrated permethrin based insecticidal spray and rinse for the control of fleas and ticks on dogs, and flies and biting insects on horses. Dilute the concentrate in water and then spray, dip or apply the solution to the coat ensuring that the solution wets down to the skin. Apply as often as necessary. Permoxin is not to be used on cats.

Re: Permoxin I've been hearing to apply it as necessary but not for what duration. Is it fortnightly like Advantix or more frequently?

Also, it's obviously toxic to cats too but is if the same as Advantix in that once dry is fine? I'm looking into alternatives/extra protection to Advantix so thought I'd ask. Have looked into Frontline Spray but apparently it's daily application for ticks :(