Grain Free Dry Food... Which Do You Think Is Best Value For Money?

westiemum

Hi All,

Apologies all - I know I've asked about grain free before - but with a major building project (hopefully) about to get underway, and money being tight, I'm wondering which of the grain free dry foods people prefer from a cost perspective? How good are the cheaper grain free brands? Is there one you would recommend?

I only use it as a back-up but with life in chaos here (working full-time, packing, moving to a house sit, etc etc) I want to have a bag on hand... Sarah has done well on TOTW salmon grain free - but it is expensive. But I do need a grain free - so what do people consider good value for money/cheaper (relatively - I know grain free is expensive overall)?

Its really interesting - Sarah found a big piece of pizza crust on the ground at a party on Saturday night and wolfed it before I could get to her to grab it off her and she was madly scratching soon after, yet the boys (who of course joined in!) showed no reaction... so I'm sure its yeast and wheat that she is allergic to... so I'm very keen to keep her on a doggie and yeast free 'gluten free' diet - and that includes 'emergency' meals.

Appreciate your comments and recommendations. TIA :)

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Labradork

I have used Artemis, Canidae and Taste of the Wild...

The brand that is the most value for money is the one with the highest metabolic energy per cup (usually measured as M/E). I don't feed grain-free at the moment but, from memory, Canidae is the highest.

eta

I think Artemis Maximal is also pretty high.

Edited by Labradork

I'd be interested in grain free alternatives. My girl gets yeasty ears but since being on Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Grain Free, touch wood we haven't had a flare up. It costs me $90 for 12kg though, a bit pricey :( Even though that is already at a discount! Want to keep her on grain free but interested to see what alternatives are out there :)

Guest Labradork

I'd be interested in grain free alternatives. My girl gets yeasty ears but since being on Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Grain Free, touch wood we haven't had a flare up. It costs me $90 for 12kg though, a bit pricey :( Even though that is already at a discount! Want to keep her on grain free but interested to see what alternatives are out there :)

Holistic Select have a grain-free version of their Salmon, Sardine & Anchovy formula, which became available in the US last November...

I'm not sure when it becomes available in Australia, though... I think it takes two years to get here/to go through our strict AQIS requirements (that's what they told me at TOTW).

I'm waiting for that one :)

Edited by Labradork

Holistic Select have a grain-free version of their Salmon, Sardine & Anchovy formula, which became available in the US last November...

I'm not sure when it becomes available in Australia, though... I think it takes two years to get here/to go through our strict AQIS requirements (that's what they told me at TOTW).

Due any day now apparently. A pet store owner I spoke to was expecting it before Xmas.

I have been feeding VIP grain free from the supermarket. shock horror. No complaints so far. Poppy's coat has improved and she was getting super premium before.

The brand that is the most value for money is the one with the highest metabolic energy per cup (usually measured as M/E). I don't feed grain-free at the moment but, from memory, Canidae is the highest.

eta

Ah! Thanks for that LD. Didn't think of it in those terms - was thinking more subjectively. That's useful - thanks. :)

Due any day now apparently. A pet store owner I spoke to was expecting it before Xmas.

I have been feeding VIP grain free from the supermarket. shock horror. No complaints so far. Poppy's coat has improved and she was getting super premium before.

Thanks Jules - will have a look when i'm next at the supermarket. Who stocks VIP? Is it usually only Woolies or Coles do you know? :)

Thanks Jules - will have a look when i'm next at the supermarket. Who stocks VIP? Is it usually only Woolies or Coles do you know? :)

I shop at Woolies so definitely in there. Not sure about Coles. There was a thread in the health section about it.

My two greyhounds have been on the VIP grain free for a couple of months and I'm very happy with it. Shiny coats and Stan is doing firm poos for the first time in the 2 and a half years I've had him. You can only buy it at Woolies at the moment.

Edited by stans mum

Yep same here RS. My old boy westie occasionally gets a bit of a yeasty smelling ear (he only has one) yet since I went grain free I haven't noticed it since - and he's not scratching his ear. My girl westie seems to do much better on grain free as well. Just a matter of finding a good one that's affordable long term. Interested in the holistic select grain free as well and have just emailed an online supplier to see when it might be available. :)

Thanks Jules and Stans Mum - will have a look at the Woolies around the corner this afternoon. :)

I really desperately need something that is more affordable/better value to tide me over - the money is just pouring out at the moment - and its going to be like this for the next 4-6 weeks.

Guest Labradork

Cool, thanks :)

Edited by Labradork

Guest Labradork

eta

Ah! Thanks for that LD. Didn't think of it in those terms - was thinking more subjectively. That's useful - thanks. :)

No worries :)

I recently ordered some of the new Artemis grain free, but even at the introductory price it's still around the same price as TOTW and Earthborn for a large bag.

It will be interesting to see the price for Holistic Select grain free, given that the current anchovy and duck varieties with grain are more expensive than TOTW and Earthborn. I try to buy up in advance when they come on sale. I also like California Natural herring and sweet potato, but that's a bit more expensive too.

The VIP would work out cheaper, even with the smaller bags.

I recently ordered some of the new Artemis grain free, but even at the introductory price it's still around the same price as TOTW and Earthborn for a large bag.

It will be interesting to see the price for Holistic Select grain free, given that the current anchovy and duck varieties with grain are more expensive than TOTW and Earthborn. I try to buy up in advance when they come on sale. I also like California Natural herring and sweet potato, but that's a bit more expensive too.

The VIP would work out cheaper, even with the smaller bags.

Yep I'll double check the VIP bag in the supermarket this afternoon and then give that a go I think - at least in the interim.

kayla where did you order the Artemis just out of interest?

Guest Labradork

Do you really need grain free or just a gluten free food?

That's a good point. People might also want to keep in mind that Barley, Rye Oats and Wheat contain gluten.

B.R.O.W... That's how naturopaths get you to remember it :)

I've tried various grain-free for my itchy boy for some time now and come to the conclusion it really does not make a difference at all - and he has trouble with his anal glands so I think I will source something with a bit of bulk.

I looked at the new VIP grain free kibble but think they are a bit vague about the meat source.