Article Extinct Show Dog Breeders

Steve

Attempt to copy

The Humane Society's TV campaign to adopt shelter dogs, combined with the hidden profit behind spay and neuter is castrating show breeders.

January 2013 - Barbara J. Andrews, Editor-In-Chief,

TheDogPress.com

Forced into hiding by animal control, handcuffed by zoning regulations, local and state laws, most of which are lobbied into fruition by animal rights groups, "responsible dog breeders" are facing extinction..

As with any product, from sofas to shoes, when someone else makes it cheaper, quality merchandise disappears from the shelves. Mass distribution through local outlets further secures the buyer market. Premium wine, cheese, and tobacco specialty shops have all but disappeared, giving way to Wal-Mart, Target, and warehouse outlets.

So it is with well-bred purebred dogs. Show breeders study genetics. You breed sound, healthy, mentally stable, well-reared, wonderfully socialized family companions and show dogs. You don't do it for the money even though the quality of your product is proven in test markets across the country. Creating a canine masterpiece is your life and holding the newborn in your hands and dreaming of his future enriches your life. At that precious moment, you are not thinking about how and to whom you will sell him.

12 weeks later, reality sets in. He is still with you instead of his own loving family. So are several of his littermates! A decade ago he would have been reserved months in advance.

This article will pinpoint how show and hobby dog breeders got into this untenable situation and invite you to help explore solutions. We are not the family farm or brewery but we are faced with the same mass marketing and retail outlet reality. Do we sell out to the wholesalers? Not an option! Do we just give up? We may have no choice.

How do YOU see this? A Working Dog breeder said "I think part of the problem is that responsible breeders have been driven underground by the animal rights crazies. People don't buy puppies from us because they can't FIND us. We don't openly advertise because we're afraid of being targeted. Some have websites and may be listed on the parent club website's breeder referral listing, but that is as far as we'll go to put ourselves out there. I'm sure the dog-buying public would prefer to purchase their canine companions from the responsible breeder you've described, but we have to be willing to widely market ourselves and our puppies. In the current climate, that's a very scary thing to do, especially when AKC does not have our backs. And if you don't mind, I'd prefer to remain anonymous since I don't know who is reading your site. I don't want to be the next target on an animal rights group's list." She hit upon two very important issues confronting breeders today.

Her observations were underscored by a long time breeder-judge who said "It is nearly impossible to sell a quality puppy because most pure-breeds can be found in a shelter."

The breeder-judge explained "HSUS has won the battle. People have been conditioned to go to a shelter to adopt a dog, for which they will pay several hundred dollars and if it has health or behavioral problems, which is likely, that 'free' dog will be even more costly in the long run." As I agreed, she continued "and of course it will be

spayed or neutered, so statistically it is doomed to serious health risks." {1}

In the brief silence that followed, her thoughts went in one direction and mine in another but ironically, they arrived at the same place. "So the veterinary profession has been sold the concept of adoption because consciously or not, shelter dogs increase the vet's bottom line?" She patiently replied "Of course. Shelter dogs are all sterilized and the veterinary literature is full of articles on the higher incidence of health problems encountered by sexually neutered dogs."

"But wait" said I. "Spaying and neutering can't be good business practice because eventually the vets wouldn't have any animals to treat!" She didn't even let me complete that thought. "But BJ, there will always be USDA licensed puppy mills to provide grist for the shelters and sustain the practice of veterinary medicine." Oh.

I called four other show breeders. At first I got denials, "no way can shelters hurt me" and "I don't compete with puppy millers" and "I always have deposits for my show puppies…" pause, "well okay, I don't have any pet homes for this litter."

A well-known breeder identified a huge problem in surviving the animal rights onslaught, "One important point that gets overlooked in favor of the animal rights discussion is that breeders who widely advertise are often quietly but harshly judged by their peers for doing it. In some ways, we 'responsible' breeders are our own worst enemy...."

One Toy dog breeder mused "I used to do very well with Dog World but I heard the online 'puppies for sale' sites put them out of business." I knew the answer but I asked anyway. "Well then Tom, why don't you use those puppy listing sites?" "What?" he shrieked, "Never! Never! Never! BJ, I am a show breeder. Whatever are you suggesting?" When he calmed down, I asked what he would suggest to reach good homes. "I tried the AKC breeder listing but it didn't work for me. I use the glossy mags and my show homes sometimes refer pet people to me. My litters are small but I have two friends in Hounds, they have huge litters you know, and they've been forced to run on pet puppies." I murmured sympathetically and after a quiet moment he replied, "I get it now. Actually, they've just about quit breeding. What can we do?"

That is the question. Three years ago TheDogPress proposed

TUBA, The United Breeders Association. {2} We need LEADERS but traditionally, show dog breeders do their own thing. We all have close friends we work with but basically, we're a competitive and independent lot.

If we are to survive, show breeders must work together, come up with a plan, and adapt to the current environment or follow the platypus into obscurity.

SEND US YOUR IDEAS on how Show Breeders can survive AND Preserve The Well-bred Purebred.

Edited by sandgrubber

My comments are from the outside looking in, so could be way off the mark...

I’m working on the presumption the gist of this message is regarding what type of dog the general public is buying – namely not purebreds.

I definitely think good registered breeders need to stick together and work out a way to combat the changes which are happening. Anyone who has read the book ‘who moved my cheese’ would recognise if you don’t adapt to change, you’ll be left behind.

I don’t think complaining on websites (to others who think the same) is going to get the message out to the general public that purebreds are a good choice to make.

From what I’ve read on DOL the biggest negativity about backyard breeders is they mix breeds and don’t health test, yet a large percentage of registered breeders don’t health test when they probably should. It also seems not all breed for temperament or functionality, rather conformation is a high priority for the show ring.

The catch phrase is always ‘buy through a registered breeder’, or ‘buy predictability’ yet what’s the difference buying from a registered breeder who doesn’t health tested or breed for temperament , than buying from a BYBer? Yes, some breeds may not require certain health tests but some should be doing more than they are considering the ethics they’re bound to as a registered breeder. How are the 'good' registered breeders selling themselves?

I’ve heard of registered breeders having ‘test’ litters or litters where all pups are sold for monetary reasons. How can the term registered breeder be the be all and end all when not all are alike? Who monitors if registered breeders keep a puppy from every litter or if all are sold?

Continuing with the theme of why are less purebred dogs being sold, to me it seems a nice temperament is a huge factor in what the general public want in a pet. Most are not going to put a huge effort into their pet and as some purebreds are quite high maintenance they're not for everyone. An easy to care for dog will probably become more popular. In this world of larger houses and smaller yards, smaller breeds are probably also going to become more popular. Frenchies (to me) are the perfect small dog but how many people can afford $3,500 for a puppy?

Is saying buy a purebred over a mixed breed enough of a selling point for someone who just wants a nice pet? It seems a large percentage of the population don’t think so or oddles wouldn't have become so popular over the years. Considering the number of them sold it’s probably a fairly small portion which make their way to the pound.

Word of mouth and examples definitely plays a huge part in popular dog breeds or crossbreeds. My sister sought out ‘oodles’ as she had a lot of friends with them who spoke of their wonderful nature with kids and other dogs. Could be total coincidence but if people hear enough positive talk about a ‘breed’ they’re bound to become popular.

When I asked her why she didn’t choose a purebred she said she didn’t know much about different breeds but had heard about oodles. I have to admit the two she has have fabulous natures and are easy to care for dogs. How are breeders getting the good points of their breed out there?

I sometimes imagine if everyone on DOL put one dollar toward advertising you could really get some good information out there! Somehow the positive things about buying a purebred have to become more known to over-ride the crossbred is better theory. Even if general advetising raised the issue that saving a pound dog is potentially encouraging more backyard breeders to pump out puppies because they don’t care if the pups new home is appropriate. (Sorry to the rescuers out there).

Sorry for the essay, just things I’ve thought of after talking to family and friends.

Attacking shelter dogs to push their own cause, nice :(

Up until that point, I was totally in agreement but sh*t like this..

People have been conditioned to go to a shelter to adopt a dog, for which they will pay several hundred dollars and if it has health or behavioral problems, which is likely, that 'free' dog will be even more costly in the long run."

And..

"and of course it will be spayed or neutered, so statistically it is doomed to serious health risks."

Destroys all the credibility of the article.

I think the people who wrote this article should probably be made aware of how it makes them look (crazy and very elitist) and that they are very likely doing damage to their own cause with misinformation- the general public aren't quite as stupid as some groups like to believe.

Firstly this article is written by someone re the situation in the states.

I dont believe show breeders or registered purebred breeders who dont show in Australia have any difficulty what ever in selling their puppies.

I dont believe the sort of person looking for the dogs I breed are the same people who will buy a cheap un papered dog of the same breed, a rescue dog of the same breed or a cross bred dog.

However, I do believe in Australia that many of the best breeders are frightened to be too much out in the open and draw attention to themselves or their dogs, that they are too frightened to stand up and say out loud what they feel about laws and legislation and fight for their rights .

Animal rights have been able to agitate to have laws and regs and codes introduced but they couldnt have done that as easily if we had been more proactive and were more prepared to have a go and defend ourselves. Theoretically its sounds like a good idea for all breeders to stand together but scratch around a bit and its a really difficult ask. The MDBA was invited a while back to be involved in a group which were aiming to provide a governing body which was promoted as being better than having government involved etc. Sounded feasible until I asked who would be in this group , lots of different representatives from a wide area of thiose involved in dogs - it worked out that purebred breeders ,ANKC and MDBA were in a vast minority. So as the offer was being pressed I began to feel like purebred breeders would be a bit like a couple of sheep sitting at a table with a heap of wolves to vote on what was for dinner but the clincher was when the president of the group instigating the inception of a new group said "and the first thing we will do is cut out line breeding and closed gene pools. Considering this is what we do - because we are purebred breeders we said we werent going to play with them. One argument was but its better to be involved in the decision making than have them make the decisions for you but Ive played this game before and the only difference is that they get to say they consulted with you and do what ever they want anyway and if you are part of it you cant fight it. Id rather fight it. Needless to say if everyone who is likely to be adversely affected is too frightened and more inclined to keep their camp fires low the end result will be about the same anyway.

And its not just animal rights who have been instrumental in this. For various reasons some purebred breeders will use any means they can to go after another purebred breeder who they don't like or don't agree with or compete with .The majority of complaints and attacks on registered breeders come from other registered breeders. In every breed there are those who will stick the boot in. Many will say they dont want any more of their breed being bred.

There may be one or two breeds which breeders may have a bit more difficulty in finding homes for because there area bunch of cowboys such as staffy's at the moment but in Australia if the purebred puppies were available for sale few breeders would have a problem in finding them new homes in 99% of breeds regardless of how many mutts are being bred.

People have been conditioned to go to a shelter to adopt a dog, for which they will pay several hundred dollars and if it has health or behavioral problems, which is likely, that 'free' dog will be even more costly in the long run."

And..

"and of course it will be spayed or neutered, so statistically it is doomed to serious health risks."

I think the people who wrote this article should probably be made aware of how it makes them look (crazy and very elitist) and that they are very likely doing damage to their own cause with misinformation- the general public aren't quite as stupid as some groups like to believe.

Agreed - its all well and good to have a certain philosophy on what is best but cross the line and sound like a bunch of fanatics who cant see the whole picture and everyone stops listening and know you to be as much loonies as the other side.

You see it every day here on this forum and often realise that show breeders are often their own worst enemy.

And..

Agreed - its all well and good to have a certain philosophy on what is best but cross the line and sound like a bunch of fanatics who cant see the whole picture and everyone stops listening and know you to be as much loonies as the other side.

You see it every day here on this forum and often realise that show breeders are often their own worst enemy.

It's not too different to the animal rights people, yeah. Quite ironic.

They'd be better served in pointing out to the general public the reasons we don't want to lose good purebred dogs- and there are heaps of very valid reasons- rather than stoop to the "shelter pets are always inferior" bit.

And..

They'd be better served in pointing out to the general public the reasons we don't want to lose good purebred dogs- and there are heaps of very valid reasons- rather than stoop to the "shelter pets are always inferior" bit.

Except you have to also understand that to most people who breed registered purebred dogs, who put so much work into trying to get it right its understandable that they would see shelter pets as being an inferior product. We all choose the dogs we do because we think our reasons and our choices are best. I wont take a shelter pet over a purebred puppy because I think they are inferior but I understand that some people think they are not and choose differently to me so Id like to think if they were intending on taking a shelter pet that they were able to source them from reputable rescue. However, people taking shelter pets or cross bred dogs in Australia isnt in my opinion placing purebred breeders in a position where they cant find homes for their puppies.The people who buy Rescue and cross bred dogs are not the same people who buy our puppies.

Guest crickets

And..

Except you have to also understand that to most people who breed registered purebred dogs, who put so much work into trying to get it right its understandable that they would see shelter pets as being an inferior product. We all choose the dogs we do because we think our reasons and our choices are best. I wont take a shelter pet over a purebred puppy because I think they are inferior but I understand that some people think they are not and choose differently to me so Id like to think if they were intending on taking a shelter pet that they were able to source them from reputable rescue. However, people taking shelter pets or cross bred dogs in Australia isnt in my opinion placing purebred breeders in a position where they cant find homes for their puppies.The people who buy Rescue and cross bred dogs are not the same people who buy our puppies.

Some people have a mix of both. I surely do! I have an Aust.Ch purebreed and a shelter/rescue dog that happens to clearly be a purebreed. I can't be the only one?

I kind of get where you're coming from but to say/imply all shelter pets are of inferior breeding or that people who have/buy/show/breed purebreed dogs would not choose a shelter/rescue pet is false.

And..

Some people have a mix of both. I surely do! I have an Aust.Ch purebreed and a shelter/rescue dog that happens to clearly be a purebreed. I can't be the only one?

I kind of get where you're coming from but to say/imply all shelter pets are of inferior breeding or that people who have/buy/show/breed purebreed dogs would not choose a shelter/rescue pet is false.

Then there is the fact that some shelter pets are purebred dogs.

Judging an entire group of dogs based on where they end up is no different to judging an entire group of dogs on where they started out (for example, being against purebred dogs only because those dogs were purposely bred and the breeder possibly making money from them).

While I can understand breeders might feel as if they're under attack, they need to put on their big girl pants and respond with facts and reason, instead of trying to throw others under the bus. Throwing rescues under the bus loses them even more support and does their cause no good- the general public have enough experience with shelter pets to know that they're not all disease-ridden Cujos just waiting for someone to maul while also shredding the house in a massive fit of separation anxiety and toileting inappropriately indoors.

Yes O.K. Of course some people have both but this article is written by someone in the states about what they see as the situation in the states and they clearly feel the push for rescue dogs and cross bred dogs has affected show dog breeder's ability to sell their puppies. They see them as competition. In Australia I dont believe that the fact that their are shelter dogs and cross bred dogs

available equals show dog breeders not being able to sell their puppies.Show dog breeders in Australia have no problems in selling a litter of puppies - because in the main when someone comes shopping to a purebred breeder they want a purebred puppy purchased from a breeder with less risk of it being a surprise packet.

I agree that some parts of the article make her sound like a ratbag and there are better ways to promote what they do but I didnt see that as the intent of this article. It was more of a vent and a defense against what animal rights have been up to. if they Keep telling the world that if you buy a purebred puppy a shelter dog dies and keep attacking its pretty difficult to stay focused on promoting what you do over having a go back because you feel you are the one under the bus already.

It seems to me there should be more focus on stopping shelter dogs at the source and encouraging education of puppy (or dog) owners so they can raise their pet as a successful family member.

Also working on how to really discourage indiscriminate backyard breeding. I don't think it could ever be stopped entirely and Im sure there will always be a place for crossbred dogs as a purebred isn't for everyone.

Not sure how the education of the public would happen though because you can't make people do things. Maybe ads in newspapers, getting on shows with a big viewer range like Better Homes and Gardens, facebook, flyers through the council that go out with bills maybe. Could the council offer discounts on registration if owners show they've gone to puppy school or dog obedience? Maybe they could work with local obedience clubs in somehow offering discounts to new joiners? I think we would all agree a dog where the owner has put effort into training wanted behaviour is likely to stay in the family forever.

It doesn't make sense to me the council/governement don't do more to stop dogs ending up in shelters because the cost involved with the constant stream of dogs through them must be crazy.

If its the lower socioeconomic end of the public breeding all these staffy crosses for money (or because money is a factor in desexing) maybe we need to focus more on educating the general public about not buying from backyarders because of potential health or temperament problems?

That leads back to one of the original arguments which is if they're pointed to registered breeders to buy from instead, they may very well buy from someone who doesn't health test or breed for temperament either (where they should be).

It would be great to have a list of breeders within each breed who health test (where its recommended). It may even encourage other breeders to do the same if they find they're being left behind!

Edited by Roova

I honestly think we need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and blaming others for what's happening.

A persecution complex won't help. ANKC registered breeders have an image problem and each and every one of us has the power to make small steps to improve it.

So less self pity and more "how can I personally promote my breed and responsible breeding' is needed along with any more collective action.

it's not a right to breed dogs - its a responsibility and perhaps we need to do more if we wish to see the fancy flourish.

There are doers and whiners and from where I sit there's currently a lot more whining than doing.

I honestly think we need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and blaming others for what's happening.

A persecution complex won't help. ANKC registered breeders have an image problem and each and every one of us has the power to make small steps to improve it.

So less self pity and more "how can I personally promote my breed and responsible breeding' is needed along with any more collective action.

it's not a right to breed dogs - its a responsibility and perhaps we need to do more if we wish to see the fancy flourish.

There are doers and whiners and from where I sit there's currently a lot more whining than doing.

^ That's what I'm talking about. More of that, less sh*t-slinging and whinging.

It seems to me there should be more focus on stopping shelter dogs at the source and encouraging education of puppy (or dog) owners so they can raise their pet as a successful family member.

Also working on how to really discourage indiscriminate backyard breeding. I don't think it could ever be stopped entirely and Im sure there will always be a place for crossbred dogs as a purebred isn't for everyone.

Not sure how the education of the public would happen though because you can't make people do things. Maybe ads in newspapers, getting on shows with a big viewer range like Better Homes and Gardens, facebook, flyers through the council that go out with bills maybe. Could the council offer discounts on registration if owners show they've gone to puppy school or dog obedience? Maybe they could work with local obedience clubs in somehow offering discounts to new joiners? I think we would all agree a dog where the owner has put effort into training wanted behaviour is likely to stay in the family forever.

It doesn't make sense to me the council/governement don't do more to stop dogs ending up in shelters because the cost involved with the constant stream of dogs through them must be crazy.

If its the lower socioeconomic end of the public breeding all these staffy crosses for money (or because money is a factor in desexing) maybe we need to focus more on educating the general public about not buying from backyarders because of potential health or temperament problems?

That leads back to one of the original arguments which is if they're pointed to registered breeders to buy from instead, they may very well buy from someone who doesn't health test or breed for temperament either (where they should be).

It would be great to have a list of breeders within each breed who health test (where its recommended). It may even encourage other breeders to do the same if they find they're being left behind!

If anyone has any suggestions for some good info to get out to the general public, I don't mind getting my hands dirty and helping spread the word!

In the November Dogs Vic gazette, I read with dismay the French Bulldog Club Of Vic's 'concerns':

31. The role of Dogzonline in the Australian Show Ring - handlers should be cropped out of online profiles on Dogzonline.

Dogs Victoria Should lobby and address this issue.

Serious?

And The French Bulldog Club's push for an Accredited Breeder Scheme:

32. [A] Qualification System as 'Approved' Breeders in relation to involvement within mainstream Dogs Victoria activities and the relative pricing reflected in litter registrations

People are breeding French Bulldogs for money, and not for the betterment of the breed.

There should be a 'quality control' over the breeding of dogs.

A possible scheme could be that a breeder must be active in showing or involved in some dog activity, if they do not abide, their pricing in litter registrations is reflected.

I wonder where that club's head is at.

Edited by lilli

Yep. I also think we tend to get paranoid and behave as if anyone who isn't "with us" is a radical vegan on a mission to destroy all dog ownership. Unfortunately, while we address ourselves to the radicals (whose minds aren't going to change anyway), we waste every day opportunities to make a positive impression on those who would benefit from owning a really good dog and would be open to buying one.

Edited to close a bracket :o

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie