Melbourne Pet Expo, Who's Going?

whitka

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone tell me more about this expo? Or have links to a good blog coverage of it? I checked out their website but it doesn't go into much detail.

I'd really like to go, I just want to know that there will be plenty of responsible pet owners and breeders there. The website used the term "commercial animals" and I worry that that might mean that puppy farmers and their ilk might also be there promoting their animals, and if that was the case I'd want to know that I can avoid them.

Is it appropriate to bring my own dog? Or would the overall layout and crowding be an issue (since there are so many different kinds of animals, I don't want to spook them or my pup)?

Pleased to know that there will be members of DOL out their promoting the good stuff, though. :thumbsup:

I've been to smaller expos, and there are lots of little stores promoting products, the only live animals were generally from rescue groups or the RSPCA. There was also promotion of dog sports like fly ball and dock dogs which was great to watch :) And yes you could bring your dogs. I hope this one is similar just on a bigger scale.

This makes me want to go.... Hmmm I do know people in Melbourne, maybe make a weekend of it?

Edited by LisaCC

I think this expo is the same one as the one they have in Caulfield every year, just a change of location. Last time I went there were lots of breed stalls by different breed clubs promoting pure bred dogs, a couple of breed rescue stalls, as well as some dog shows being judged, and also gun dog demos, agility demos, etc etc, lots of stalls selling products. Since it was held at the racecourse last time, I vaguely recall seeing people walk around with their pets, but I'm not sure how different it will be now it's been moved to the Showgrounds.

Edited by silentchild

Definately no pets allowed. I took my Ridgey the first time I went and had to take him home again. :)

The dogs you see there have either been in a show, demo or breed stand. I loved the Caulfield one, all the stalls and demos but not game to travel to Flemington for it.

Edited by Mr R & NR

Oooh, I was wondering when this was on again. I missed it last year and was devastated! The year before was awesome :)

It's mainly breed club stalls, some rescue stalls, obedience/flyball/agility demonstrations, that kind of thing. Unless you're affiliated with one of the stalls, pets aren't welcome, though.

They also had some confirmation shows going on at the 2011 one at Caulfield, but I'm not sure whether that's normal - they seemed like actual shows, not just .. 'demonstrations', though.

Edited by Alkhe

So whats the best way to get there? Im coming up on the vline to southern cross, not sure where to go from there :o

Best way is probably to jump on a train at Spencer Street Southern Cross to Showgrounds station :)

We're coming back from Tasmania on the 3rd so will go on the Sunday arvo, if anyone wants to meet.

Yep it is the same one just change if venue. And certainly no pets allowed, unless your involved in a breed stand or demo's :).

I used to like going for the flyball demos years ago but not involved much anymore. I don't think I will bother just going for a look, it has really gotten small over the years.

Whitka, just some practical info for you - if you are going to be using public transport, I recommend that you log on to the Metlink Journey Planner.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/

It will allow you to put in all the information that you need, for example, your destination, the time you want to arrive etc, and that will then plot a journey for you, and give you a number of options. You can even print out step by step instructions and it will also tell you how long it will take from point A to point B etc, so you can also caluculate what time you will have to leave the venue in order to catch your V-Line train home again.

:)sorry i don't actually have any info about the expo itself!