Ridgeback And His Nun Ear?!?!?! Help :-)

RidgieAmy

Hello! So i need help from anyone who can give it to me, My ridgeback, Kobie has developed a wonky ear, i call it his staffy ear :( It started a couple of days ago, His left ear sticks up more than the right, i have searched the internet about this and found it to be called a nun ear??

It might not be that i'm not sure! It stays like this pretty much all the time, unless i massage it and it flops to frame his face again but this only lasts for a little while then it sticks back up :( I've spoke to his breeder and she says she's never had this happen to any previous litters or her ridgies, she asked me if he'd been stung by something.

He definately hasn't and he let's me touch his ear without a whine or yelp, and inside his ear's are fine, i read that it occasionally happens to pups who are teething, and it's because the body needs more calcium? but he get's his blackhawk biccys which have 1.45%, Morning and afternoon with natural yoghurt, then his beef/roo mince with carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, split pea at night! also he gets chicken necks a few times a week!

I thought it may be because hes chewing alot and its strenghtening the cartilidge in his ear too much!

I seen videos on taping ridgebacks ears but i don't really want to do that unless the other one starts or this one gets worse! maybe something to weigh the ear down?

Oh and i'm planning on showing him so this needs to be corrected if possible as its not suitable for the ring. here is pics!!

kobieear_zps48f9ac22.jpg

kobieear2_zps2dc1ab71.jpg

TOP VIEW OF KOBIES LEFT 'WONKY' EAR!!

kobieears_zpsb3671163.jpg

THIS IS HIS EARS SITTING CORRECT AFTER A MASSAGE. LOL

kobieshoe_zps09bd884f.jpg

Yeah he's going to be a showdog, his first show is 2nd of march! ive been massaging it helps alot, if it hasn't improved by next week i'll discuss taping with breeder, she wasn't keen, but i'd rather do that than have an ear that's flying constantly! AHH yeah thats what i dont want though still gorgeous!! how old was she when it started happening?? i heard anything after 4 months is too old to correct the problem??

It's common for ears to do weird things while the pup is teething, I have never worried about it and they have always come good.

I don't know anything about breeds with taped ears though.

She was about 3 months when it started happening. And I didn't start taping until around 4 months if I remember correctly! There was some debate at home as my Hubby liked the folded ears, but I didn't :D we now joke that we have one ear each! She's not a show dog so doesn't really matter but with the next pup if it happens I will jump right on it.

Your little one is gorgeous :D I love Ridgies!

My boyfriend loves it too..... I HATE IT. it bothers me lol. Thats what the breeder says not to worry about it, i think it was a doberman forum i read about the taping method! i will def be taping it if it doesn't correct by next week. She also said to up his yoghurt to double and see if that helps, i massage it constantly which helps alot! and he loves his ear massages :p

Yeah he's going to be a showdog, his first show is 2nd of march! ive been massaging it helps alot, if it hasn't improved by next week i'll discuss taping with breeder, she wasn't keen, but i'd rather do that than have an ear that's flying constantly! AHH yeah thats what i dont want though still gorgeous!! how old was she when it started happening?? i heard anything after 4 months is too old to correct the problem??

Taping doesn't hurt them or anything like that so maybe ask your Breeder why they're not keen.

Some dogs flying nun ears dissapear after teething, some stay forever.

Being a show dog I would tape. This is a method alot of Dane folk use: http://www.6stardanes.com/ears.html

I have heard that massaging the ear with glycerine a few times a day can help...Softens the cartilage or something...Might be worth a try, you can get it from pharmacies or sometimes at Coles or Woolies in the medicinal section :-)

Thanks for everyones help, will try the glycerine! Thanks for the link for taping I will definately be taping if it doesn't correct! as i know it doesn't hurt them, will discuss with breeder her reasons why she wouldn't tape. thumbsup1.gif

Yep having owned tape breeds the only way it works is to address it asap,the longer you wait the higher the risk of it not correcting itself is especially if the breeder says they haven't had it before

There big ears & the fold doesn't look very good so if it was my showdog it would be taped

Edited by showdog

• 1 year later...

I haven't experienced this problem first hand, but having a 10 week old Ridgeback came across some relevant information when researching canine diets.

I haven't got the links right now, but "flying nun ears" along with rickets, appears to be caused by a leaching of calcium from the bones into the blood stream. This can be remedied by providing adequate calcium (which you already seem to be providing), but more importantly ensuring a correct phosphorous/calcium balance, as the two minerals seem to be inexorably linked. An important element of this balance is an adequate level of Vitamin D, which appears to help the dog's body regulate and balance these two mineral levels. Google calcium/phosphorous balance in dogs and Vitamin D for more info.

Edited by crooz