Grooming Horror Story Uk

Guest crickets

Guest crickets

very sad to find a link to this story in my DogWorld email today . *warning graphic picture in link *

UK grooming horror stories

CALLS are being made for the dog grooming industry to be licensed following the fourth case of a dog being burnt in less than two years.

The RSPCA said that without licensing owners could not be sure they were leaving their dog in safety.

But the Pet Care Trade Association (PCTA) said that this was unlikely to happen soon, and that in the meantime groomers should obtain qualifications and sign up to a professional code of conduct.

In the latest incident a Lhasa Apso died after suffering ‘horrific’ burns when he was left under an industrial hairdryer by an unqualified groomer. Twelve-year-old Dusty had been bathed and clipped at KayJac Clippers in Grays before being left in a metal crate with an industrial dog hairdryer pointing at him. Having put him there, groomer Victoria Ellis, 38, of Scott Road, Chadwell St Mary, Essex, went to answer the phone and forgot about him.

Basildon Magistrates’ Court heard that when Dusty’s owner, Toni Rixton, arrived to collect him the salon’s owner, Jacqueline Ward, 44, of Little Bentley, Basildon, told her to put some cream on the ‘small burn’.

State of shock

But Dusty’s condition deteriorated over the following days and Mrs Rixton and her husband Mark decided to have him put down. The dog had been left in a state of shock from the burns, the court heard.

A vet told the court that Dusty would have suffered, and that the environment he was left in was made even more unsuitable because he could not escape from the heat.

Neither Ward, of Basildon, or Ellis were qualified groomers at the time of the incident. Ward was not in the salon at the time, but she and Ellis were both found guilty in their absence at an earlier hearing of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

Ward and Ellis were fined £1,000, ordered to do 120 hours of community service and pay £250 of compensation to Dusty’s owners when they appeared for sentencing at court on Friday last week.

Following the case, RSPCA inspector Lewis Taylor said: "This was a horrific case which could so easily have been prevented had Dusty not been left unattended.

"Although such cases aren’t deliberate, owners entrust the care of their beloved animals to dog groomers and deserve to know they are leaving them in safe hands.

"Although Ward was not there when the incident happened, business owners do have a duty to ensure that animals do not suffer while in the care of their staff.”

The RSPCA is now calling for the dog grooming industry to be licensed following a spate of similar cases in the past two years. David Bowles, head of public affairs, said: "These cases are all very sad. Owners are taking their pets to the groomers without the security of knowing how safe their animals are. We are calling for the licensing of dog grooming as, without this, owners simply cannot be sure that they are leaving their dog in safety.

"Until we have regulation, it is very important owners thoroughly research their choice of groomer to ensure that they can meet their animal’s needs. They should think about visiting the facility first to ensure staff are qualified and competent.”

The PCTA’s chief executive, Nigel Baker, said: "This is a very sad case and we offer our condolences to Dusty’s owners. Currently, a grooming business does not need a licence in order to operate – unlike pet retailers and boarding establishments where a licence is needed if animals are sold or boarded. We are not opposed to licensing if it is introduced and regulated on a fair basis across the UK, although this is unlikely to happen in the short term given the Government’s moves to reduce regulation.

"We recommend that dog owners seek out grooming salon members of our Association who have signed up to our professional code of conduct. We actively encourage them to take up City & Guilds grooming qualifications to raise standards across the industry.”

Fourth case

This is said to be the fourth dog to be burned in a dryer at a grooming parlour, according to RSPCA figures. In 2011, a seven-year-old Cocker Spaniel suffered burns and internal injuries after being left in a cage fixed to a heater and covered with tarpaulin at a grooming parlour in Leicestershire. The groomer was conditionally discharged and ordered to pay costs.

In July 2010, two people were given conditional discharges and ordered to pay costs after two Yorkshire Terriers were left unattended under dryers at a boarding kennel in the Cardiff area and died from burns.

In March 2010, a Hungarian Vizsla was placed in a purpose-built dog-drying cabinet at a dog boarding and training facility in Surrey. The device had no timer and the dog was found whimpering and collapsed after being left too long. The dog suffered heat stroke and burns to the abdomen but survived. The company was fined and ordered to pay costs.

In another grooming-related case in 2009, a six-month-old Shih Tzu was strangled after being restrained by two dog groomers in Shropshire. The puppy died after being held up under the chin and having harnesses fixed around its neck and stomach. The groomers were given conditional discharges.

*Read more about the debate surrounding whether licences should be obligatory for all dog groomers and whether more stringent regulation is needed within the industry in a special feature in the next edition of ProGroomer magazine, available in March. Meanwhile, give us your view in our online poll.

:mad :mad

With no licensing of groomers in the UK or USA it's hard to believe it will be on the agenda here anytime soon either.

ETA..Personally I abhor the practice of cage drying, having managed to get through 25+ yrs of salon grooming without doing it. Sadly it is still routine in so many shops though.

Edited by crickets

There is no point in licensing. It will be a revenue raiser & won't make any difference.

Licensed or not some people will still work the same way. Unless someone is stood behind them how do they know what is going on ?

Sometimes accidents can happen so I guess it depends on whether it was just one of those small things like a dog suddenly moving & getting a nick or the sheer stupidity & neglect mentioned in these published cases. Anyone with half a brain would know this was wrong, the same as leaving the dog on the table restrained as posted in link above.

How is licensing going to stop it ? & the methods of discipline sometimes used.

Dogs can't talk & no one is going to do anything wrong during an inspection.

If the City & Guilds is a 3 year course, like it was when I did hairdressing a lifetime ago, that would certainly raise the standard of handling & haircut & may encourage common sense. Of which lack of is really the issue & a license doesn't fix that.

No more useless animal laws that do not work please :banghead:

There is no point in licensing. It will be a revenue raiser & won't make any difference.

Licensed or not some people will still work the same way.

I tend to agree. I am not concvinced it will make one bit of difference. You have sloppy licensed tradies etc, there are sloppy individuals in every profession. It's a really unfortunate incident and I feel awful for the owner :( Ive not ever cage dried, I don't like it.

I had call yesterday from a new client. She was ringing to sus me out as her groomer was retiring. She really put me through the wringer :laugh: All sorts of questions about my practices. Ive not ever had such a 3rd degree before - but really this is what everyone should be doing.

Guest crickets

All I want to see is a system to stop or at least deter, make it much harder for ANYONE ANYWHERE to hang out their shingle and claim to be a dog groomer. A licensing system with mandatory minimum standards would be a good start IMO.

Would we use an unlicensed electrician,plumber,builder,hairdresser,food supplier etc ??

In this country atm you literally need more qualifications to make sandwiches & clean toilets than you do to take charge of someones beloved pet with potentially dangerous equipment. (Not that I am belittling those occupations as they both have health/hygiene implications)

I agree accidents will always happen & there will always be sloppy operators regardless.

All I want to see is a system to stop or at least deter, make it much harder for ANYONE ANYWHERE to hang out their shingle and claim to be a dog groomer. A licensing system with mandatory minimum standards would be a good start IMO.

Would we use an unlicensed electrician,plumber,builder,hairdresser,food supplier etc ??

In this country atm you literally need more qualifications to make sandwiches & clean toilets than you do to take charge of someones beloved pet with potentially dangerous equipment. (Not that I am belittling those occupations as they both have health/hygiene implications)

I agree accidents will always happen & there will always be sloppy operators regardless.

Yeah I agree. There should be some kind of mandatory licensing.

At least if there was a license required then that license could be withdrawn and the business closed down if they are in gross breach of their obligations (like you know, not cooking people's pets alive). As it is now, Buddy's "groomer" (and I use that term lightly) will go on their merry way and possibly strangulate another dog to death by sheer negligence and that dog's owners will not even be aware that it has happened before

Edited by BlackJaq

What about an apprentice system, like electricians, etc? That people have to be qualified and go through an apprenticeship process and prove they are qualified to get a job in a grooming salon or own a mobile groomer?

Would still need to be policed, of course.

What about an apprentice system, like electricians, etc? That people have to be qualified and go through an apprenticeship process and prove they are qualified to get a job in a grooming salon or own a mobile groomer?

Yes, this would be a good way of doing it.

Guest crickets

I have long thought the apprenticeship system would be far & away the best option for the grooming industry.

Licensed or not some people will still work the same way. Unless someone is stood behind them how do they know what is going on ?

Sometimes accidents can happen so I guess it depends on whether it was just one of those small things like a dog suddenly moving & getting a nick or the sheer stupidity & neglect mentioned in these published cases. Anyone with half a brain would know this was wrong, the same as leaving the dog on the table restrained as posted in link above.

How is licensing going to stop it ? & the methods of discipline sometimes used.

Dogs can't talk & no one is going to do anything wrong during an inspection.

If the City & Guilds is a 3 year course, like it was when I did hairdressing a lifetime ago, that would certainly raise the standard of handling & haircut & may encourage common sense. Of which lack of is really the issue & a license doesn't fix that.

No more useless animal laws that do not work please :banghead:

post-5341-0-93557900-1359091697_thumb.jpg

A question to those who do groom:

Is there a reason for drying the dog with a dryer rather than towelling and leaving to air dry? I'm just curious because when I bath my guys at home they only get towelled off.

Yes, a few reasons that I can think of right now.

One is the dryer lifts out a lot of dead coat

The dryer, along with slickers, allows the groomer to straighten the coat section by section in order to get a correct cut. You cant cut hair to a standard unless it's straight.

Not drying a dog properly can cause hot spots.

It also gives the dogs a fluffy look which owners love and cannot achieve at home with just a towel dry. Owners love seeing their dogs all fluffed and puffed.:thumbsup:

There might be more but that's just what Ive got at the moment.

I have worked in salons alongside very experienced groomers and some of their handling skills were truly shocking. I walked out on a job once because of the way the groomer was handling a dog.

A question to those who do groom:

Is there a reason for drying the dog with a dryer rather than towelling and leaving to air dry? I'm just curious because when I bath my guys at home they only get towelled off.

Alot of long coats need to be dried & clients are paying for the full works .

Also with some dogs that come in very poor condition you bath after a rough cut & then finish .

Given this is the UK a wet dog in winter would be an issue to

Other breeds are dried to remove dead coats & to make them nice & fluffy but there are very safe means for doing this & a dog burnt is really inexcusable.

There are honest things that can go wrong,many dogs don't come in trained well BUT some of these issues have no excuse possible except not doing the task correct

I am a groomer & i wouldn't do any of the courses in my state to get accreditation.I did look at it once but could teach more than what i would learn & i had tp pay for the equipment again instead of taking my own & what they say you must use isn't how grooming is done ,one size doesn't fit all.

I have also seen how some of the dogs are sent out so accreditation & learning is in the ye of the beholder .

Most are 6 week course some shorter & no way can you learn alot .I have been grooming since 93 & also groom other peoples show dogs .

Here for example people on the DOLE where paid by the government to do the grooming course ,half of them would never continue & most had never been in touch with dogs .

The biggest issue i see these days is grooming business doing to many dogs in one day & taken short cuts .

Greed has taken over for good honest basics & sadly people these days see all the bells & whistles & the fanciness & often forget about the good sound honest parts that makes a grooming experience worthwhile

We now our limits including answer the phone & any issues that may crop up with dogs that come in,book to many & it just doesn't happen

I think there are many small and inexpensive changes that salons could use to improve safety for the clients. Set a timer. Do constant rounds of the salon. Don't leave dogs tethered to the table unsupervised.

As owners, we can do our bit to make sure that salons do this.

I think there are many small and inexpensive changes that salons could use to improve safety for the clients. Set a timer. Do constant rounds of the salon. Don't leave dogs tethered to the table unsupervised.

As owners, we can do our bit to make sure that salons do this.

I think about this all the time and I agree with you. Simple rules that are actually abided by and changes to some equipment could make a difference to the safety of our precious pets. Don't cage dryers have timers that turn them off?

Supervision and not overbooking.

AND having consequences to not abiding by the rules would be a help!. Being sorry or remorseful shouldn't get you off scott free.

Rules or codes of conduct are useless if there is no one to uphold them :mad

Also human greed comes into it, groomers putting making $$ in front of each dogs care and safety, by taking in more dogs than they can safely manage is a big problem. To them Buddy was a meal ticket, to me he was my darling old boy, my heart, my dads and my last connection to my beautiful mum who died with the comfort of Buddy sleeping next to her.

I know these rogue groomers are the exception but if action was taken when people complained to authorities then maybe we would have a better chance of weeding them out.

Edited by Cazstaff