Pedigree Paperwork

pickles_chester

After receiving our Staffordshire Bull Terrier a few weeks ago it was only yesterday I received the paperwork for the pedigree. Can anyone shed some light on exactly what I should have received as all we were sent was:

* Eye examination certificate

* Hip and elbow dysplasia evaluation report

* Certificate of registration and pedigree

* Genetic analysis report

Now here is the part that strikes me. The paperwork mentioned above is for the father of our puppy, not her own paperwork. I just assumed that we would have been sent our puppies paperwork (pedigree certificate and rego etc...) and nothing more.

We are completely new to the puppy world and I do feel as though we should have been given more info on our pup. We paid $1500 for a limited register.

Please help me to understand if this is the normal set of circumstances and if there is anything I am required to do myself to get her registered as a pure breed as we are more than willing to do so.

I will greatly appreciate any info or redirection to another thread to gain a bit more perspective.

Thanks in advance :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You did not get the pedigree paperwork for your pup?

Sometimes it takes a while to come back after sending it off. I am still waiting on mine that was send off a few weeks ago. Even genetic test take a while to come back and you can not do them until the puppy is microchipped.

The breeder would have been sending you the fathers information so you have copies of his results to know he passed them.

Things like hips can not be done until after 12 months so your puppy with not come with that information.

So the Certificate of Registration and Pedigree is for her sire, not for her?

It doesn't surprise me that the other paperwork is for her sire (although I would actually expect copies of these for both sire and dam, not just sire), but you should be receiving a Certificate of Registration and Pedigree for your pup above and beyond any supporting paperwork that has been provided for her parents.

It may be that the breeder is still waiting on the pedigree for your pup, and has sent through the other information in the meantime. The only way to know for sure is to contact them and check :)

Edited by Allerzeit

The Certificate of Registration and Pedigree should relate to your pup. It will be a 3 generation pedigree showing both paternal and maternal ancestors.

I would assume the other information you received related to a parent, why the sire I'm not sure but I would expect the breeder to provide the information relating to the mother of the pups. To have that information from the sire as well is good.

If your pup has a Certificate of Registration and Pedigree in his/her name then it is already registered with the State Canine Association and you may apply to them to have it transferred into your name. The details should be on the back of the CoR&Pedigree

I suggest you speak to the breeder and ask for clarification. It may be that the registration for your pup has not been received by the breeder yet. Not sure which state you are in but with the new regulations relating to pups having to be microchipped before being registered or sold in Victoria, registration, and thus paperwork may be delayed.

I suggest you speak to the breeder and ask for clarification. It may be that the registration for your pup has not been received by the breeder yet. Not sure which state you are in but with the new regulations relating to pups having to be microchipped before being registered or sold in Victoria, registration, and thus paperwork may be delayed.

I think that applies here in SA now as my soon to be puppy has just been mirochipped and then registered with Dogs SA .

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Thanks for the replies! Such quick responses too!

We live in Sydney NSW and when she arrived at the airport (we bought her from Townsville) she turned up with a Health Certificate from the vet, a non filled out form to register with petsafe and her vaccination and microchipping details. The rest turned up yesterday which is what I mentioned in the thread starter. We have yet to receive her actual certificate of pedigree. And to answer a question no we did not receive the cert of pedigree for the dam either, just the sire. and it was a copy (which I assume is fine).

Apart from the breeder is there anyone or is there a department or website I can check to see if she has been registered yet?

Phone Dogs Queensland on Tuesday - (07) 3252 2661. They should be able to tell you firstly if the breeder is even registered and secondly if they have received the necessary paperwork to register the litter.

$1500 is an enormous amount for a limited register Stafford puppy - I am assuming it's blue? About 1/2 the Staffords registered in Australia are blue, hardly a rare commodity to be paying double price for.

You should have copies of any health testing performed on the parents such as eye certificates, hip scores and results for L-HGA& HC

You should also have a certificate of vaccination for your puppy

Some form of confirmation of microchipping and a change of ownership

and a Certificate of Pedigree for YOUR puppy.

Go back to the breeder and ask them where the above is for you puppy

Phone Dogs Queensland on Tuesday - (07) 3252 2661. They should be able to tell you firstly if the breeder is even registered and secondly if they have received the necessary paperwork to register the litter. $1500 is an enormous amount for a limited register Stafford puppy - I am assuming it's blue? About 1/2 the Staffords registered in Australia are blue, hardly a rare commodity to be paying double price for.

Thank you for this info Sandra. The more will think about it the more we feel as though we have been taking for chumps. Really disheartening to feel like this but I am however a person who believes in waiting for the truth to surface and pointing the finger right now just seems like the easy thing to do. I will wait and speak to the people that you mentioned and I will definitely post what I find. Fingers crossed.

I am probably one of a huge amount of people that get swindled on a daily basis. The only thing I care about is Milly and her welfare in the end. Again thank you all for your info :)

You should have copies of any health testing performed on the parents such as eye certificates, hip scores and results for L-HGA& HC

You should also have a certificate of vaccination for your puppy

Some form of confirmation of microchipping and a change of ownership

and a Certificate of Pedigree for YOUR puppy.

Go back to the breeder and ask them where the above is for you puppy

Great advice again! I will :)

Just as a matter of interest, does the Certificate of Registration and Pedigree you have for the father show that he is on the main register ( blue in colour if the same as in Vic) or on the limited register (orange or pink I think)?

It is a copy so I can't be sure. Oh and I just realised too, both the dam and sire are named on the certificate of rego and pedigree.

Just as a matter of interest, does the Certificate of Registration and Pedigree you have for the father show that he is on the main register ( blue in colour if the same as in Vic) or on the limited register (orange or pink I think)?

It is a copy so I can't be sure. Oh and I just realised too, both the dam and sire are named on the certificate of rego and pedigree.

Check the date of birth on the cert

Does that match the DOB of your puppy ? if so then it should be your pups pedigree. It shouldn't be a photo copy it should be coloured. The puppy should either have you as the registered owner or be signed on the back, so you can send the papers into the canine council and have them transferred into your name.

Having said that you should at the very least have the cert, microchip, vaccination and a copy of the parents DNA results for the L2-HGA and HC testing

Edited by WreckitWhippet

The dam and the sire of YOUR puppy do you mean?

Check the date of birth on the cert

Does that match the DOB of your puppy ? if so then it should be your pups pedigree. It shouldn't be a photo copy it should be coloured. The puppy should either have you as the registered owner or be signed on the back, so you can send the papers into the canine council and have them transferred into your name.

Having said that you should at the very least have the cert, microchip, vaccination and a copy of the parents DNA results for the L2-HGA and HC testing

The date does not match! It is a copy only. Black and white photocopy. I have the vaccination, microchip and a copy of the dna and the L2-HGA and HC test results. All of which are stated to be normal.

Edited by pickles_chester

when we got our pup- I remember it took ages (12 weeks) for her pedigree certificate to be sent out to us. With her certificate came a copy of both sire and dams hip and elbow scores her vaccination record, her worming record, her micro chip number and certificate amongst a few other things.

Contact the breeder- hopefully your (official) pedigree is still being processed by DogsQLD

edited: I just remembered that we received everything I just said- before her pedigree certificate- that was the one that took 3 months to get here. Everything else came with the pup in a large envelope when we picked her up from the airport. :)

Edited by WExtremeG

Thanks for that post WExtremeG. I just messaged the breeder and she responded pretty quickly to state that the pedigree cert should arrive to her this coming week and she send it down to me asap. I am very appreciative for everyones help with this. I will keep y'all posted with the outcome.

Thanks again.

I received my puppy's blue pedigree, vet records of vaccination/microchipping/checkup as well as paperwork to register with Dogs Vic with him under my name about 2 weeks after he came home, and that was when they had been filed for during the holiday season and were experiencing delays.

I find it weird that the pedigree copy you received list your pup's parents, but are a photocopy? :confused:

I'd be asking for the original copy.

ETA: Glad the breeder gave you such a quick response! Hopefully there will be nothing to worry about now :)

... do we get to see pictures of your new baby? :o

Edited by Ruin Maniac