Eye Colour In Dogs

BJean

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know, but maybe light eye colour on an otherwise dark dog indicates that a dog might be carrying an undesirable recessive?

I would assume most of the old-time advice that sounds superstitious either is just a superstition, or would be about trying to guess how prepotent a dog might turn out to be.

What Sheridan said. Almost all standards "prefer dark eyes". Dark eyes have more pigment - and perhaps that makes for a sounder eye. I have never seen factual evidence of why dark eyes are preferred but dark eyes soften the expression, which is mostly called for in a lot of standards.

With dark eyes it is more difficult to see the pupils, which would further soften the expression.

Interesting that in most sight hounds a lighter eye is permitted. I think it's probably because a darker eye means a softer expression.

Some of it will be where they're from, though, like with blue in huskies. Or is that malamutes? :o

I do recall something that said it was a deep seated primal instinct against yellow eyes because wolves have yellow eyes (do wolves have yellow eyes?).

Yes, wolves have yellow / amber eyes, so do a lot of Anatolians.

I actually like the look of the black mask with yellow eyes. So I'm biased.

But I do know that most breeds prefer medium to dark brown eyes.

raven4years.jpg

I don't think you can separate eye colour from coat colour. If the breed standard allows dilute coats, they have to allow lighter eyes.

Yes and I think there is dilute in the light fawn and light agouti, black and silvers etc

Edited by lilli

I do recall something that said it was a deep seated primal instinct against yellow eyes because wolves have yellow eyes (do wolves have yellow eyes?).

raven4years.jpg

:love:

I don't think you can separate eye colour from coat colour. If the breed standard allows dilute coats, they have to allow lighter eyes.

Yes and I think there is dilute in the light fawn and light agouti, black and silvers etc

If there is dilute in there as well the guard hairs will be blue rather than black.

Amber is black/sable but has the amber coloured eyes. A lot of the sable border collies seem to have this eye colour. I think it is pretty.

Interesting that in most sight hounds a lighter eye is permitted. I think it's probably because a darker eye means a softer expression.

Some of it will be where they're from, though, like with blue in huskies. Or is that malamutes? :o

Yeah lots of huskies have blue eyes, it's a fault in Mals.

I love my husky's amber eyes :)

SL370005.jpg

If there is dilute in there as well the guard hairs will be blue rather than black.

Amber is black/sable but has the amber coloured eyes. A lot of the sable border collies seem to have this eye colour. I think it is pretty.

There is dilute in the sable.

It has not been identified yet but it is there :)

Not really sure what you mean the dilution gene is on a different locus to the agouti gene.

Not really sure what you mean the dilution gene is on a different locus to the agouti gene.

I am not referring to the dilution of eumelanin, most commonly known as the 'dilution gene' .

I am referring to the dilution of phaeomelanin.

Edited by lilli

I am not referring to the dilution of eumelanin, most commonly known as the 'dilution gene' .

I am referring to the dilution of phaeomelanin.

Ok with you now :)

What Sheridan said. Almost all standards "prefer dark eyes". Dark eyes have more pigment - and perhaps that makes for a sounder eye. I have never seen factual evidence of why dark eyes are preferred but dark eyes soften the expression, which is mostly called for in a lot of standards.

With dark eyes it is more difficult to see the pupils, which would further soften the expression.

okay ta

Lovely photo, lovely dog.

Do most guardian breeds have lighter eyes? I'd think, again in terms of dog jobs, they'd want to be seen so lighter eyes would be an advantage, whereas in earth dogs, lighter eyes would be a disadvantage.