How Well Do You Know Your Dog's Pedigree?

SkySoaringMagpie

This made me have a closer look at my girl's papers...........I have looked up her sire before and found a article about him working on Macquarie Island in helping get rid of rabbits, rat, ect.

She is a working ESS, now looking at her pedigree papers I looked closer at the greatgrandparents and it says one is and English Setter, I can only assume this is a clerical error as I then looked up the kennel name and they breed ESS. Not sure if I should try and contact Dogs NSW and get it fixed or double checked as it doesnt affect anything, though if she was to be used at trials ect I would think it would be important for it to be correct.

Edit to add the link to the article, her sire is Glastonpark Quail

http://www.glastonpark.com.au/index_files/Page2471.htm

Hopefully the link works :)

Edited by Pattycake

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if there are any Shih tzu breed database. Would be interesting..

Google says there is.

Paw Village is an "All Breeds" database, some of the info on it is a bit iffy - if I found something there I'd try and confirm another way - but it's one place to start - www.pawvillage.com

this thread got me to tracing Snowy's ancestors!

I have used one site to enter the detail and do a lot of searching to the other databases. WOW!

I couldn't believe what I've found haha.. thumbsup1.gif So happy to learn all about Snowy.

I could trace the shih tzu bloodline all the way to US (of course), UK, Norway, Sweden, Canada and finally China at about 1938! WOW! eek1.gifthumbsup1.gif

Fern's sire line goes back to 1890 something (29 generations), her dam line back to 1820 something (35 generations)

Kiff's goes back to 180x on his sire's line and to 182x for his dam (oldest record of his lines is 178x). Although I've seen pedigrees for racing dogs all the way back to 177x which is quite impressive, given most people would have a really hard time finding names/birth dates for their own family members going back that far.

It is definitely interesting to be able to see trends in sires though. Down here, using Irish dogs is currently fashionable. I know of a breeder who paid $14,000 for an Irish bitch, with the intention of breeding her back to a dog of Irish descent to make more Irishy dogs for whatever reason.

Greyhounds also have the Greyhound Stud Book which is published most years and can be helpful in finding names/dates that don't get added to the database for whatever reason.

I can trace all my Sammys back to the original dogs brought to England from Siberia.

How awesome is it!!

I had a look through ages ago and this thread sparked my interest to look again. I just love seeing all the old pictures, it's really amazing.

I found out my old Emma's pedigree about 12 months or so before she died. After she died I would have loved to have been able to get a dog from similar lines but they aren't around anymore. So i sort got the next best option... Emma's dad is Hamish's great grandfather (I'm pretty sure it's great)!! So while it's not a super close relationship it's enough for me!! And what I find funny about it is that he has so many traits similar to her behaviourally (but he's well and truely himself and not a mirror of her!) and just yesterday I had someone comment when they saw a photo of Em how much Hamish looks like her!! Well he sort of does, and I guess to the uneducated BC eye he really does especially compared to Kenz! I'm only new to all the pedigree stuff but I now find it really interesting especially when it come to looking at temperaments of dogs and for me personally in terms of looking for my next dog (which will be a while away!!).

What line was Emma? PM me if you prefer.

worldpedigrees.com has lots of breeds and is great for Border Collies with over 150,000 dogs entered, especially the Aust/NZ lines.

anadune.com is another very large international BC database.

These are private databases and very well done but still have errors. The only official databases are maintained by the ANKC and parts of them can be bought on disk with owner details removed.

I found out my old Emma's pedigree about 12 months or so before she died. After she died I would have loved to have been able to get a dog from similar lines but they aren't around anymore. So i sort got the next best option... Emma's dad is Hamish's great grandfather (I'm pretty sure it's great)!! So while it's not a super close relationship it's enough for me!! And what I find funny about it is that he has so many traits similar to her behaviourally (but he's well and truely himself and not a mirror of her!) and just yesterday I had someone comment when they saw a photo of Em how much Hamish looks like her!! Well he sort of does, and I guess to the uneducated BC eye he really does especially compared to Kenz! I'm only new to all the pedigree stuff but I now find it really interesting especially when it come to looking at temperaments of dogs and for me personally in terms of looking for my next dog (which will be a while away!!).

worldpedigrees.com has lots of breeds and is great for Border Collies with over 150,000 dogs entered, especially the Aust/NZ lines.

These are private databases and very well done but still have errors. The only official databases are maintained by the ANKC and parts of them can be bought on disk with owner details removed.

We use Anadune quite a bit :) It allows you to not only input the pedigree and photos of dogs but also results from hipscores, DNA testing, colour genetics etc I love going back through the pedigrees to find out what information I can about the ancestors of our lines.

We use Anadune quite a bit :) It allows you to not only input the pedigree and photos of dogs but also results from hipscores, DNA testing, colour genetics etc I love going back through the pedigrees to find out what information I can about the ancestors of our lines.

Just be careful with Anadune as some of the genetics, health and colour stuff is wrong for the Aust lines. World pedigrees has quite a few dogs listed as the wrong colour so don't depend on tracing colour unless you check with someone who knew the dogs.

My breed didnt really have an accurate database until I had bred a long lost colour and started digging to gigure out where it might have come from. Over 7000 entries later, some back to the mid 1850's gives us a better understanding of where our breed came from.

Close to extinction only 60 years ago, its interesting to see how inbreeding and linebreeding brought this breed back to a safe population. We also have sanctioned interbreedings to add to the scant genepool.