The Yellow Dog Project

Panto

I like the yellow, I think you will find a lot of dog clubs use yellow.

Red is a bad idea for the sheer number of dogs that wear red, few people pick yellow making it a better choice.

I have started my reactive dog wearing his yellow bandana for training all the time when he is out just in case people recognise it

This company posted on my rescue page last week. I think this is a great idea :) They also have collars, etc, for deaf and blind dogs which I'm hoping to get shortly.

http://www.thecannycaninesa.com

Lots of people tie pooh bags to their leash, so oftentimes people are used to seeing something tied on the leash. If they don't notice the yellow ribbon or don't know what it means it's not much use really, the owner will still have to explain.

I like the Canny Canine idea, the collar, harness and lead all say exactly what you want people to know :)

naughty people in your link have stolen the logo from a dog charity!

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/

Classy.

Personally, after hearing some not-very-flattering stories about the behaviour of the company that imports these collars into Australia, I'd never buy from them anyway.

Red is a bad idea for the sheer number of dogs that wear red, few people pick yellow making it a better choice.

I have owned more yellow collars and leads then red.

I think the idea of the yellow ribbons intrinsically good. I live in a quiet village where I might have 4 cars pass the block on any given day. So to help pups cope with the big wide world I take my dogs especially my pups in town (1 or 2 at a time) and I sit with the dog by the post office at the corner of the traffic lights. There are only 2 sets of traffic lights in Cowra. People go in and out doors open a close, traffic stops & starts & truck make a racket with their brakes. We just sit and I let the pup observe the world. I let him or her settle and hopefully relax and lied down. Once they settled then I am happy for people to approach. I think I will start using the ribbons I think the yellow ribbons could be a usefull tool. :)

Yes there is always the exception to the rule.

But majority more people would have red than yellow. My Dad actually tried to buy a yellow collar for his dog and couldnt get one

But majority more people would have red than yellow. My Dad actually tried to buy a yellow collar for his dog and couldnt get one

I have heaps of yellow stuff and I don't even like the colour :shrug: Compare that to red.. I have a single reddish-purple collar that one dog was wearing when she came in.

Some good points on why red might not be a good colour too (ie aggressive etc). Perhaps the idea is it is 'amber' (as in caution, like with traffic lights), but yellow is a more available coloured ribbon than amber?

I have heaps of yellow stuff and I don't even like the colour :shrug: Compare that to red.. I have a single reddish-purple collar that one dog was wearing when she came in.

might be a greyhound thing :D but I have to confess my yellow stuff was used on the GSD's. I only have a brace lead now in yellow.

This company posted on my rescue page last week. I think this is a great idea :) They also have collars, etc, for deaf and blind dogs which I'm hoping to get shortly.

Lots of people tie pooh bags to their leash, so oftentimes people are used to seeing something tied on the leash. If they don't notice the yellow ribbon or don't know what it means it's not much use really, the owner will still have to explain.

I like the Canny Canine idea, the collar, harness and lead all say exactly what you want people to know :)

Maybe it's one of those 'public use' logos like from Vistaprint. Hope so anyway.

www.friendlydogcollars.com.au

These are the Aussie suppliers.

They support rescue too - they have a page with dogs for adoption from various groups. No Blind or Deaf collars though. Looks like they only do the medium/large sizes as well.

Classy.

Personally, after hearing some not-very-flattering stories about the behaviour of the company that imports these collars into Australia, I'd never buy from them anyway.

That's a shame. Anything the public should be aware of? I still haven't had a reply to my email I sent ages ago. I notice that they've posted on almost every rescue fb page, I hope they're looking after their customers as I'm sure there'll be a lot of interest in their products.

I always use red collars & leads. :shhh: Tying a red ribbon around the lead, will still alert people.

might be a greyhound thing :D but I have to confess my yellow stuff was used on the GSD's. I only have a brace lead now in yellow.

I'm fairly sure the yellow stuff breeds. I keep leads, collars, muzzles in plastic storage boxes and damned if sometimes, it looks like there's more yellow. Yellow-strapped muzzles are a definite reproducer. I have only ever bought three yellows but I'm sure I've seen at least four in various places.

Compare to black stuff.. black should be really common because a lot of dog stuff is basic black but.. :shrug: Can never find a plain, black lead.

• 2 weeks later...

Most council poo bags in WA are yellow so lots of people would have a yellow "ribbon" tied on their lead with absolutely know idea what it means.

took the words...

And again, its yet another concept that would apply only to responsible dog owners, and not those largely causing the problems.