Claw Cutting Diagram?

WExtremeG

I saw a claw cutting diagram on here a little while back- but can't find it. Could someone be so kind as to repost it or direct me to the thread that had it?

Also, does anyone have photos of correctly trimmed feet from underneath- I've been trimming my GSD over the last few weeks, but am not sure if they are still too long (they look long)as I have no reference.

Cheers (:

My dogs nail clippers have now been made redundant after the awesome purchase of a dremel cordless grinder.

For years and years I used to clip my dogs nails(Bullmastiffs and Bulldogs) and then use my older Ozito grinder to smooth off the sharp bits. The Ozito was not cordless. And it was a damn pain to use.

After picking up a brand new Dremel for an awesome price at a local market I have never used my clippers again.

Sorry to go off topic a bit here.

I have looked into a dremel, but will stick to the standard clippers I think.

My girl is really good-lol but I don't give her a choice for resistance :laugh:

The photos have confirmed I was doing it right- from underneath I trim to where you can see a oval shape within the claw.

thanks everyone

I have a dremel and it's awesome for nails, but mine won't sit still for the amount of time it takes. I have enough trouble pinning them down to clip a few nails at a time without them biting me and peeing on me (and yes, they've had their nails done regularly since they were born, they are just drama queens!)

Edited by minimax

I have a dremel and it's awesome for nails, but mine won't sit still for the amount of time it takes. I have enough trouble pinning them down to clip a few nails at a time without them biting me and peeing on me (and yes, they've had their nails done regularly since they were born, they are just drama queens!)

Which is why I love the dremmel. Bulldogs are immensely strong dogs and using clippers was just proving so unreliable if they tried pulled their foot away. And with a dremmel you can get such a nice tidy nail with no sharp bits. If you do happen to get too close to the quick the wound is cauterized straight away with minimal fuss. Our first Bullmastiff had very long nails with long kwiks as her nails had hardly been trimmed before we got her and cutting her nails proved to be way too risky(black nails as well which made it harder to see the kwik) My white Bulldog has unpigmented nails so you can see the kwiks but I still prefer to use the dremel. My Bulldog bitch will just lift each foot while I dremmel away with her nails. Getting them used to the dremmel can be done with training. My boy doesnt like it but he is told it is happening and that is that. He is such a womans blouse :laugh:

Can you still dremmel the dog's nails too far? As in make them bleed like when you cut the quick? Kirah has black nails and even though she's always running on bricks outside, her front nails still seem quite long and I'm reluctant to trim them any shorter for fear of hitting the quick.

Can you still dremmel the dog's nails too far? As in make them bleed like when you cut the quick? Kirah has black nails and even though she's always running on bricks outside, her front nails still seem quite long and I'm reluctant to trim them any shorter for fear of hitting the quick.

Not really, because if you do dremel too far and see blood, it's usually still a layer or so away and not actually open to the air yet because the dremel doesn't move that quickly. If you do hit the quick and get actual blood, it doesn't actually bleed like when you cut it. Not sure of the reason! Maybe something to do with the heat from the dremel?

Not really, because if you do dremel too far and see blood, it's usually still a layer or so away and not actually open to the air yet because the dremel doesn't move that quickly. If you do hit the quick and get actual blood, it doesn't actually bleed like when you cut it. Not sure of the reason! Maybe something to do with the heat from the dremel?

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into buying a dremmel then because as I said, Kirah's black nails are a nightmare. Zeus's also might benefit from a grinder too because even though his are a nice length, the nails always seem to be splitting and cracking near the base.

Has anyone used the Cordless Dremel Stylus for dog nails? It looks like it might be easier to handle.

Stylus

Dont think the stylus would appeal to me. My cordless weighs just over 400grms has exactly the same specs as the stylus and is a good size for the size of my hand and grip. The stylus looks too small for me anyway.