Stomach Issues

Vurd2BB

Hi all

Just a quick one, a couple of weeks ago Sara started having diarrhea, i am assuming it was something she ate, so immediately starved her for 12 hours then started her on a pumpkin / turkey mince diet, feeding several small meals a day.

After 3 - 4 days she was getting better again, then she was fed some kibble and went back to the runs. So repeated the process, skip ahead now she is getting better.

Still on the same diet, but yesterday i re-introduced a raw chicken maryland to her diet, she seems ok, still feeding it ontop the the cooked mince / pumpkin. I had not seen her do her business, but today i took her to the park, had fun chasing the ball etc etc, on the way back home she did her business.

It was solid, but the outside was shiny/ wouldn't say runny but moist, and orange because of the pumpkin. Is this normal after exercise, she was doing alot of running around. Is this normal?

I am going to keep her on the cooked mince / pumpkin and keep slowly weening her onto her regular diet, really going to take my time this time around, up to 2 or more weeks.

Cheers

Just took a fecal sample in to the vet and going in this arvo.

Vet also tried to advise me against feeding a raw diet saying it could contain bacteria etc etc and i should go on a prescription hypo allergenic diet of some sort.

How right is he in saying that feeding raw, especially raw chicken toa dog is no good as it could contain salmonella which causes diarrhea and other problems ?

Vet also tried to advise me against feeding a raw diet saying it could contain bacteria etc etc and i should go on a prescription hypo allergenic diet of some sort.

How right is he in saying that feeding raw, especially raw chicken toa dog is no good as it could contain salmonella which causes diarrhea and other problems ?

'

Sounds like he is trying to sell you a very expensive food. Dogs' stomachs are designed to eat raw meat & they are a lot more tolerant of things like salmonella than we are. How often do you see a dog bury a bone then go back days or weeks later & dig it up & eat it. When a fox kills your chooks, more than he can eat in one go, he will take the rest away & bury them for later. But I am not a vet, so that's just my thoughts :)

ETA some kibbles are very rich & need to be introduced slowly. It may be that your dog cannot handle a main ingredient in the kibble like lamb or salmon.

Edited by sheena

'

Sounds like he is trying to sell you a very expensive food. Dogs' stomachs are designed to eat raw meat & they are a lot more tolerant of things like salmonella than we are. How often do you see a dog bury a bone then go back days or weeks later & dig it up & eat it. When a fox kills your chooks, more than he can eat in one go, he will take the rest away & bury them for later. But I am not a vet, so that's just my thoughts :)

ETA some kibbles are very rich & need to be introduced slowly. It may be that your dog cannot handle a main ingredient in the kibble like lamb or salmon.

Generally dogs can tolerate salmonella etc, but with a dog that clearly has something more going on internally then I would be agreeing with cooking the food. Why put more stress on a compromised system?

Also remember that it might not be the food causing the diarrhoea, she may have a bug of some description.Or it may be a type of protein that is disagreeing with her (one of my dogs doesn't tolerate chicken well) but I wouldn't be doing too much swapping and changing until you know what the current pattern is. Perhaps a blood test to see what is going on might be a way forward if you don't see resolution in the next couple of days?

I am going to the vet this evening, i haven't actually taken her to the vet yet, just took the sample.

oh!!

:(

a faecal test won't really give much info if your dog has anything other than worms . She needs to be properly checked over. Poor thing ... an upset tummy for so long really does need checking.......and hopefully it is nothing contagious ..as she has been to the park whilst ill .....

I hope she gets some help soon ..it's always a worry :(

Ok just got back from the vet, he said she's not too bad, stomach is a bit sore, he gave her an injection of anti biotics plusa 5 day course of 2 different ones to bring back the balance of bacteria.

Also said to keep her on the bland diet and slowly bring up the dosage of food and monitor her.

glad to hear shes's doing better.

Im feeding a raw diet to my my new puppy as per her breeder's instructions. Hers are all on raw and natural, always have been.

Im dreading taking her to vets for her second vaccination as they will probably lecture me against what im feeding her in lieu of their expensive dog food.

Someone I know off took hers to the vet for its second vaccination and they were very anti raw too, and said she will have to give her dog calcium supplement tablets. I wouldn't think they would need supplements if they are healthy and getting it in their diet anyway..

Our older 2 cavs get expensive vet food and they still suffer with upset stomachs every so often..

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

They'd be getting calcium from the bones anyway.

I will definitely be going back to raw, but i am wary about raw chicken now, or the extra skin on chicken may be upsetting Sara's stomach.

What sort of chicken do you feed that has the skin on?

I don't feed wings often, due to the skin and fat as it gives my pugs really mucus'y poo, but frames don't normally have much skin on them. I wouldn't be feeding much chicken skin at all.