Biggest Scare Ever!

Guest hanko

Guest LittleMissOdie

Just had the biggest scare of my life, i just needed to share. My husband and I take our 1 year old Frenchie girl to work with us. Usually around lunch time my hubby takes her out into the paddock to do her business.

We work in a semi industrial area with large empty paddocks next to the building, and a main road in front of them where quite a few trucks pass by. My husband takes her out, she does her business, then they go back inside where she goes back to napping/chewing on her toy in the office.

Well today they were out and my husband gave me a frantic call to say the lead had broken and Odie took off running. I of course, ran out in the paddocks in a panic.

We tried calling her but she thought it was an exciting game and ran away further - I don't blame her, we sounded pretty frantic despite my best efforts to remain calm. We managed to herd her away from the main road until finally, a good samatarian helped us corner her into a cul de sac where my hubby eventually grabbed her. We checked the lead and harness over and it did not seem to be broken in any way. I know my hubby always double checks to see if the lead is secure so I know he didn't put it on incorrectly and also, it would be quite hard to do so as the clip snaps shut and hubby said he had felt tension on it prior to it snapping (Either way we are getting a new lead set ASAP)

This is the first time something like this has happened and I'm determined never to let it happen again.

We obviously need to work on her recall and discipline, my question is, what's the best way to do this? Obedience class? She knows how to sit, stay etc and is quite obedient at home but when we're out and about it's a different story. We NEVER have her off lead but if god forbid this ever happens again, I want to have better control of the situation.

So for those who have stubborn dogs, how have you taught them to come when called? Any advice on how to handle this situation? We are obviously not the "pack masters" here, and I would very much like to change that because this little episode nearly gave me a heart attack!

Edited by LittleMissOdie

How scary for you. I had a moment like that where someone I was walking with threw a ball towards the road. Chasing a ball is one of the very few situations where I don't have a reliable recall with my dog.

My suggestion is to practice the recall in that situation. Put her on a longline and do recalls for high value food or toy rewards in the paddock during your lunch break.

As an emergency recall [for a dog not fully trained] I would drop to the ground and make stupid noises. Dogs curiosity would take over and it'd come running over to sniff, lick and jump on me...lots of praise and grab the collar. Doesn't work on all dogs of course, but have been lucky in the past.

But definitely do long lead work and recall training as was suggested.

Guest LittleMissOdie

Just wanted to say that sounds really scary and I'm glad you got her back. Does she have a tag with your number and have you joined the National Pet Register (free) just in case it ever did happen again?

Yes thankfully she is registered and as a tag, im more worried about her shocking lack of road sense! We do take her many places and on walks, but obviously we need to be more vigilant in making sure she stays safe if this were ever to happen again (at this point I'm thinking of chaining her to my wrist permanently!)

Guest LittleMissOdie

I would consider having some one on one training with a reputable trainer. There are lots of different ways to train a reliable recall and IMO it is something every dog can learn to do.

Yes just called our trainer, who came over a few weeks ago to help us work on her over excitement with new visitors. She suggested obedience classes as there's more distraction to work with so we've signed up for that. Unfortunately training a bulldog to listen is not the easiest feat but I am determined!

Guest LittleMissOdie

How scary for you. I had a moment like that where someone I was walking with threw a ball towards the road. Chasing a ball is one of the very few situations where I don't have a reliable recall with my dog.

My suggestion is to practice the recall in that situation. Put her on a longline and do recalls for high value food or toy rewards in the paddock during your lunch break.

Oh no! I can't imagine very many dogs who would turn back away from chasing a ball, that must have been frightening.

Practicing in the paddock is a good idea. Admittedly recalling is something we really need to work on. In terms of doing tricks for treats, she's fantastic - AS LONG as she knows there are treats involved. If not, then forget it. My hubby usually carries a couple of treats in his pocket to reward her for good behavior but this is the one day where he didn't have any! And to be honest by the time I got there there was no way a treat was going to stop her from gleefully leaping through the field like a deranged cheetah

How frightening! We've had that happen to us twice so far. My husband and I were swapping leads, he thought I had it and let go and Henschke stepped out in front of a car. I screamed so loud and waited for the impact. Thank god, the car slowed down and didn't hit him. Another time, the collar came off Jindi as she strained to the other side of the road after a cat. Luckily we walk the dogs when it is early morning and no one was around as she ran across the road.

The best way to get a dog back is to run away from the dog calling their name in a high pitch noise (when you are panicking your voice goes up anyway). Usually this will pique the dog's interest and they will come running after you.

Definitely practice the recall though. Mind you, when a dog is focused, it's pretty hard to get them to stop.

Thank goodness nothing happened today. :hug:

Guest LittleMissOdie

How frightening! We've had that happen to us twice so far. My husband and I were swapping leads, he thought I had it and let go and Henschke stepped out in front of a car. I screamed so loud and waited for the impact. Thank god, the car slowed down and didn't hit him. Another time, the collar came off Jindi as she strained to the other side of the road after a cat. Luckily we walk the dogs when it is early morning and no one was around as she ran across the road.

The best way to get a dog back is to run away from the dog calling their name in a high pitch noise (when you are panicking your voice goes up anyway). Usually this will pique the dog's interest and they will come running after you.

Definitely practice the recall though. Mind you, when a dog is focused, it's pretty hard to get them to stop.

Thank goodness nothing happened today. :hug:

Oh goodness I am glad at least I'm reading about other people's experiences, i am glad your little ones ended up ok poochmad! I need to show my husband your post because he is feeling really terrible about it even though it was in no way his fault!

Yes I have read about that tactic but in all honesty, like you mentioned, it's hard to break that focus once it's there. Her intent was definitely to run the other direction,my hubby said she was pulling towards the direction she took off in before the lead snapped. She only ran away faster when she saw me!

I am looking into new secure collar/harnesses now, maybe a double clip is a good idea, even if it's a little overkill. thanks for sharing!

I would consider having some one on one training with a reputable trainer. There are lots of different ways to train a reliable recall and IMO it is something every dog can learn to do.

Yes just called our trainer, who came over a few weeks ago to help us work on her over excitement with new visitors. She suggested obedience classes as there's more distraction to work with so we've signed up for that. Unfortunately training a bulldog to listen is not the easiest feat but I am determined!

If she doesn't come at all under moderate distraction (like you just experienced in an open field) training with more distractions may not be the answer. But see how you go with classes, it may really help her training in general, recall can be a bit trickier when the dog has learnt that they can ignore your commands.

Lots of people told me I would never train a beagle to be reliable off leash, it just made me even more determined to prove them wrong :laugh:

I have pugs, so similar personalities when it comes to training, and I got their recall to be pretty reliable with food! Even now if we are in the park, they randomly get treats when they come back to me even when I haven't called them. I don't go anywhere without treats - often I reach into my pockets at work and find random treats in there and laugh, because they are everywhere.

But then if for some reason I don't have treats, they are still reliable because they assume they will get a treat if they come when I call them because they do most of the time.

I have pugs, so similar personalities when it comes to training, and I got their recall to be pretty reliable with food! Even now if we are in the park, they randomly get treats when they come back to me even when I haven't called them. I don't go anywhere without treats - often I reach into my pockets at work and find random treats in there and laugh, because they are everywhere.

But then if for some reason I don't have treats, they are still reliable because they assume they will get a treat if they come when I call them because they do most of the time.

We've done this as well. It works well when they are in an enclosed space and they will quite happily bolt back for a treat - but the times they have been in an open space they 'forget' all about the treat. It's like they feed off our panic, little buggers. :mad

We've done this as well. It works well when they are in an enclosed space and they will quite happily bolt back for a treat - but the times they have been in an open space they 'forget' all about the treat. It's like they feed off our panic, little buggers. :mad

Yeh we occasionally have the issue where they decide whatever they are playing with or going for is of higher value than the food, in that case I walk or run in the opposite direction. I use their recall word to get their attention so they can see me and that usually does it. Max especially hates the thought of being left behind and will usually choose me over whatever she was going for.

However, I've not done formal training with my pugs, so there are probably easier and better ways to do things!

Guest LittleMissOdie

Similar indeed minimax, if you mean that they are stubborn adorable little piggy dogs! :laugh:

I do practice recalling with food but like poochmad mentioned, it's works out a little differently in an open space. My frenchie is highly, highly playful - everything is a game to her. She's desperate to play all the time and I'm sure in her mind, us calling her and being so panicked seemed like some sort of fun game!

I'm very impressed you have your pug recall down though! The trainer mentioned that a pug would be a great match for a frenchie as they are so similar in nature. Not gonna happen any time soon though - just pictured myself running after 2 "selectively deaf" dogs and nearly had a heart attack all over again! :laugh:

Lesson here as someone else has already mentioned is in this situation don't chase the dog.

Lie down, wave your feet in the air, make stupid enticing noises - not many dogs can resist this.

Or if it's a bit safer - run the other way.

Honestly it's no disagrace if your dog stays on lead most of the time in unfenced areas and "only" comes when there's food/treats - if it works it works!

Guest LittleMissOdie

Yeh we occasionally have the issue where they decide whatever they are playing with or going for is of higher value than the food, in that case I walk or run in the opposite direction. I use their recall word to get their attention so they can see me and that usually does it. Max especially hates the thought of being left behind and will usually choose me over whatever she was going for.

However, I've not done formal training with my pugs, so there are probably easier and better ways to do things!

Also forgot to mention that my little girl was recently diagnosed with a rare liver disorder, thus her diet is very strict - chicken & vegetarian treats are pretty much the only things I can give her, so finding an easy carry treat to reward her with had been a little difficult :( and like you mentioned she often then finds something of higher value than her 9 calorie fruitable biscuit, and when that happens well, I can pretty much forget making her do what I say :laugh:

I suppose I could carry around cooked chicken pieces with me all day, not ideal but hey I'm willing to give anything a go at this point!

Edited by LittleMissOdie

Susan Garrett online blog & Facebook has the most amazing you tube videos avaialable to watch and learn from, she does run paid online mini tutorials, but I am sure if you search her out you will get all the ideas very quickly.

It is all about making you the most important person in your dogs life, gaining that bond and trust like no other so that no matter what the distraction they will always always want to come to YOU :D

I started with normal rewards and soon learnt high level rewards were the way to go, my pup is play focussed with frisbee and tug being way up there next comes "chicken neck" so using these items it was all about the focus on the item and not on distraction practicing at our local dog club while other dogs on lead worked away we sort out a little space and with everyone on side we started longline recall and reward reward reward, then moved to close proximity recall off lead and within 2 weeks had 100% attention. Now I simple have to say in a high pitched stupid yodelly type voice "Come" or if she is being particularly naughty and doing the selective deafness routine, I say "treat" or "chicken neck" to which I get bold over in enthusiasm for her to get to me faster then a bolt of lightning.

Don't get disheartened it can be done and will take time and effort but the outcome is well worth it. Also those dogs that don't have lots of opportunities to get out and about and explore and get exposed to a multitude of sights and sounds etc tend to be a bit more interested in the big wide world when they 'escape' then those dogs who have lots of social experiences.

Edited by zeebie

Guest LittleMissOdie

Lesson here as someone else has already mentioned is in this situation don't chase the dog.

Lie down, wave your feet in the air, make stupid enticing noises - not many dogs can resist this.

Not many - but mine definitely can. In hindsight chasing her was probably the wrong thing to do but she was making a beeline for the main road and I didn't have time to try the above method to see if it would work - and honestly I don't think it would have as she barely glanced back at me after she saw me come out, she had made up her mind! My main concern was herding her away from the direction of the main road.

I will definitely work on being a more assertive owner though, I do not want to have to go through that again!