Okay, I'm A Weakling -

Loving my Oldies

I was in a shopping centre car park last year and as I parked my car and walked towards the shops I saw a distressed poodle pawing at the windows of the car. It was quite warm, getting hot as it was the middle of the day. I was just getting my mobile phone out to call triple 0 when an elderly lady appeared in a bit of a state. I asked if it was her dog and she said yes it was, she had gotten lost and hadn't been able to find her car. I told her never to take her dog out on a warm day and leave it in the car .... stupid woman. Unintentional but it could have ended in tragedy.

I was in a shopping centre car park last year and as I parked my car and walked towards the shops I saw a distressed poodle pawing at the windows of the car. It was quite warm, getting hot as it was the middle of the day. I was just getting my mobile phone out to call triple 0 when an elderly lady appeared in a bit of a state. I asked if it was her dog and she said yes it was, she had gotten lost and hadn't been able to find her car. I told her never to take her dog out on a warm day and leave it in the car .... stupid woman. Unintentional but it could have ended in tragedy.

This is exactly the sort of thing that can happen. Glad you had an example dogmad :thumbsup:

Thanks, sorry, missed the bit about 15mins. Just concious that if the dog was ok, is there really a need for further action?

You obviously didn't read my opening post :) .

Yes, there is need for further action, because next time, the dog might be left in the car for longer and on a much hotter day.

And who is to know that someone, thinking: well I'll only be gone a few minutes while I rush into a shop, isn't going to meet with some sort of delay - maybe an accident, maybe meeting a friend and just forgetting. A lot can happen in the space of a few minutes.

Read it, just missed the 15mins part. Again sorry.

I understand what "could" have happened, and personally i don't take my boy with me anywhere if there is a need to leave him alone for any time, shopping, car park wherever. He is better off at home than tied to a post or left in a car because i wanted him with me.

like i said though, nothing happened and now this owner is being reported to the rangers/police. We know nothing about why or if there ever will be a next time for this owner.

Sorry if I'm upsetting some but it's my opinion and will leave it at that.

The cops are supposed to act on it if you call them.

In Q'ld the laws about prevention of cruelty say that people can report to the RSPCA or the police.

I saw a dog in a parked car (full sun, Brisbane summer) at our local shopping mall. An RSPCA Inspector has to cover the entire northside of the city.... but there was a Police Beat office inside the mall. So I went there to tell the police. The two officers just snatched up their caps & hurried straight out to deal with it.

Edited by mita

Danny's D this isn't a council matter - council officers will just refer you to the RSPCA or Animal Welfare League. Rangers don't look after cruelty issues - you need to contact one of the two above, or if its a desperate situation (you can see a dog in distress) you would contact the police :)

nothing happened and now this owner is being reported to the rangers/police. We know nothing about why or if there ever will be a next time for this owner.

At least a visit from authorities may make this person think to not do it again. Discouraging such actions is what is it all about, and I think this person should be reported, he did the wrong thing, the outcome was ok but he still did the wrong thing.

This morning a lady at the local Milk Bar left her car running with 2 kids inside while she ran into the shop, I watched until she came out, as nothing happened this time do you think she should be encouraged to keep leaving the kids in a running car?

Edited by BigDaz

nothing happened and now this owner is being reported to the rangers/police. We know nothing about why or if there ever will be a next time for this owner.

At least a visit from authorities may make this person think to not do it again. Discouraging such actions is what is it all about, and I think this person should be reported, he did the wrong thing, the outcome was ok but he still did the wrong thing.

This morning a lady at the local Milk Bar left her car running with 2 kids inside while she ran into the shop, I watched until she came out, as nothing happened this time do you think she should be encouraged to keep leaving the kids in a running car?

That's how I feel, BigDaz. Excellent examples, thank you.

Did you report her to the authorities given the fact that she endangered her kids? And if not, why not, and why would you then say it's ok to report this person to the police?

On a similar note, i have heard cases of dogs choking from eating things like pig ears, which i know many people here feed. Do we start gathering details and reporting them to the police?

Sorry guys, i have to disagree here.

Not with the fact that what the owner did was wrong, but with tying up resources for something that "may" have happened.

If it were me, i would have hung around to make sure the dog was ok, and then said something to the owner. But instead we will now have at least 2 police officers, (if it's reported to police) tied up for a few hours to look into this.

If it were me, i would have hung around to make sure the dog was ok, and then said something to the owner. But instead we will now have at least 2 police officers, (if it's reported to police) tied up for a few hours to look into this.

I think we just have to recognise that we are not going to agree, BoxerB - and I have to yet again point out that you did not bother to read and take in my Opening Post in which I said I was going to call the police when I saw a man come out of the shopping centre and go to the car.

Okay, an update.

Melza, you are right and it is a welfare issue, so the Council referred me to the RSPCA.

As it is not illegal to leave your dog in the car in NSW, there is nothing the RSPCA can or will do.

RSPCA person just told me that if you see a dog in a locked car and it is in distress, call the police.

So not a great result really, but maybe my note under the windscreen wipers will be enough. :(

For anyone finding themselves in this situation, the RSPCA number in Sydney is 9770 7555.