A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

I'm really not sure of their temperaments at all but I have heard of Maremma being used as assistance dogs, they are certainly big enough :)

That great Aliwake, hopefully he keeps sleeping for you!

I used a martingale on Nova for the first time today during out walk. I love it! He's already quite good at loose leash walking but every now and then he tries to chase a bird or do a zoomie, and if he is on a flat collar instead of a harness he just chokes himself. With the martingale he didn't make the 'choking' noises like with the flat and he automatically came back to my side! Obviously the pressure going all the way around his neck and not just on the front is much better.

Hi Lisa,

where did you get your martingale collar, koda is about the same at the moment and doesn't pull on the leash too much when walking but he can choke himself when he gets super excited doing zoomies and I really get uncomfortable with it and don't want to be drawing him back with that much pressure on his neck, the martingale style collar looks like a great idea

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nitro is 6 months now. I was starting to wonder if he was ever going to start growing a brain, he was so easily distracted :laugh: I think the impulse control games and focus games started to pay off! I wonder how long it will last :laugh:

Can I just ask how do you get your dogs to tug? Tyrion use to tug, but I've tried to start up a game of tug over the last couple of days and he won't? lol hoping hes just going through a phase. :laugh:

Edited by Zereuloh

Tyrion is almost 4 months, No tugging while teething between 4-6months!

But you might need to work on his prey drive, try using a flirt pole of some sort (there are some here), I have a tug thats on the end of a 1m long leash like rope, I tried to find the link for you on Clean run but it's gone :(

What you can do though is get him to chase something fun (for this Nova loves his Rabbit Kong Wubba), hang it down beside you and run! Shake it make fun noises, then throw it for him before he can grab and start tugging.

What ever toy you pick don't let him have it by himself, keep it away and only bring it out for this and training. When he loves it heaps you can start asking for commands before you throw it, play chasies.

Also great for recalls :)

Edited by LisaCC

Tyrion is almost 4 months, No tugging while teething between 4-6months!

But you might need to work on his prey drive, try using a flirt pole of some sort (there are some here), I have a tug thats on the end of a 1m long leash like rope, I tried to find the link for you on Clean run but it's gone :(

What you can do though is get him to chase something fun (for this Nova loves his Rabbit Kong Wubba), hang it down beside you and run! Shake it make fun noises, then throw it for him before he can grab and start tugging.

What ever toy you pick don't let him have it by himself, keep it away and only bring it out for this and training. When he loves it heaps you can start asking for commands before you throw it, play chasies.

Also great for recalls :)

Excellent I wondered about the teething thing! I'll have to go buy him a new toy me thinks :)

Nitro is 6 months now. I was starting to wonder if he was ever going to start growing a brain, he was so easily distracted :laugh: I think the impulse control games and focus games started to pay off! I wonder how long it will last :laugh:

Oh, thank god...there is hope for Willow yet...:laugh:

When we train I have got pretty good focus from her...could be better, but then it's better than I thought she was going to be.

The moment I'm longing for is when she FINALLY 'gets' it enough that we have a level of what I'd like to call 'casual obedience'.

At the moment she's all :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: enthusiasm about EVERYthing..."oooh new people....oooooh old people....oooohhh another dog....ooooohhhh a leaf blowing in the breeze....oooooh grass".

Edited by Dory the Doted One

When we train I have got pretty good focus from her...could be better, but then it's better than I thought she was going to be.

The moment I'm longing for is when she FINALLY 'gets' it enough that we have a level of what I'd like to call 'casual obedience'.

At the moment she's all :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: enthusiasm about EVERYthing..."oooh new people....oooooh old people....oooohhh another dog....ooooohhhh a leaf blowing in the breeze....oooooh grass".

laugh.gif Didn't you know? Leaves are THE BEST THING EVER!

This is brilliant! totally describes Nixon too :laugh:

Thanks Lisa will take him to the local and see what they have, I didn't know about the 4-6month rule, does that also include bones as well or are bones good for the teething period?

I think is time for a toy clean out this weekend also, there are a few regulars that are getting on a bit

laugh.gif Didn't you know? Leaves are THE BEST THING EVER!

Tyrion LOVES leaves! And chunks of dirt. lol

Guest hankodie

Soooo about my sweet, quiet, darling puppy that I was gloating about a couple of weeks ago? Yeah, he's been replaced. Now I own some sort of fluffy demon creature who zooms around like a little tornado of paws and teeth :hitself: so. much. energy. Poor Odie. Hank practically FLIES out of his crate every morning like GOOOOD MOOOORNING WORLDDDDDDD and jumps all over her in joy. She just stares at me while he's doing this like "seriously? You brought this ninny into our home?"

My day has consisted of giving him time outs in his puppy pen (which he is quickly outgrowing :eek:) and training sessions/running around time in the yard to tire him out. I'm teaching him "settle" but he's not quite getting the idea yet :laugh: the joys of puppyhood!

Now to somehow prepare dinner without making any noise that could wake him from his nap.............

Soooo about my sweet, quiet, darling puppy that I was gloating about a couple of weeks ago? Yeah, he's been replaced. Now I own some sort of fluffy demon creature who zooms around like a little tornado of paws and teeth :hitself: so. much. energy. Poor Odie. Hank practically FLIES out of his crate every morning like GOOOOD MOOOORNING WORLDDDDDDD and jumps all over her in joy. She just stares at me while he's doing this like "seriously? You brought this ninny into our home?"

My day has consisted of giving him time outs in his puppy pen (which he is quickly outgrowing :eek:) and training sessions/running around time in the yard to tire him out. I'm teaching him "settle" but he's not quite getting the idea yet :laugh: the joys of puppyhood!

Now to somehow prepare dinner without making any noise that could wake him from his nap.............

ahh the joys :D

good luck on making anything food related without his super senses kicking in

Ok guys a little worried so need some advise. my boy while I was having a shower managed to get hold of a box on our kitchen island and demolish half a cooked chook that was inside including the bones, I kept an eye on him before i left for work and he seemed perfectly fine, if i did not see the box on the floor I probably wouldn't have realized he even ate it.

lesson to me to never keep food on the kitchen island even if in a big sealed box.

my worry is the bones really, I know he chews and grinds his bones well as I've watched him work on the regular marrow bones he gets and he really grinds them down before swallowing.

Anything I should keep an eye out for?

Hmmm, I know cooked bones are bad because they splinter, but maybe chicken bones being small won't be as much of a problem? I'd be calling the vet for some advice to be honest though.

Thanks aliwake, Called my local and they have advised not to overstress, there is not much I can do right now, keep an eye on him make sure he isn't vomiting or looking unwell, he said he gets calls like this allot and 90% of the time it just passes through with no worry as long as the bones were chewed well.

JackC, I'd be freaking at that too. I'm glad your vet said not to worry so much.

I've been trying to get on here with a photo of Griffin. Every time I get on, I read where the thread is now up to and then either a child or the dog needs my attention... I've downloaded the app so I can do pics easily (out of pure laziness about not having to turn the computer on all the time lol). Ths pic was at 10wks old

2ahyna2u.jpg