A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Guest hankodie

Awww poor Nova :( the teething phase is never fun. Have you tried something cold like a chilly bone? Also deer antlers are good because they're quite hard but soften up after a bit of chewing, they provided lots of relief for Odie when she was teething.

Not looking forward to the teething stage with Hank, he's already eating things he shouldn't! Fished about 10 rocks out of his mouth today, damn retrievers and their obsession with trying to eat everything

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hankodie

Wonky teething ears getting significantly worse laugh.gif

post-44325-0-47579900-1377335081_thumb.jpg

Awwww I think the wonky ears make him look rather distinguished :laugh:

Thanks, he has an antler which he has been using a lot this week, but I haven't heard of the chilly bone. He has two toys that are a soft plastic gummy type material, and I've frozen them for him he didn't really like them cold until I froze some yogurt in them.

Ah rocks, yea Nova tried to steal tiny little pebbles out of the indoor fish pond lol.

Edited by LisaCC

LIsa we have done a road trip or two with Envy already and we took a lot more than we needed to really. Probably because I have a van for the business and it's always full of dog gear anyway.

essentials would be:

Food & Water bowls

Food & water

Leash

Long line

Crate

Bedding and spare bedding/towels

Poop bags

Collar & harness

I bet you already have all that sorted though ;)

We went to Wagga 'Beach' today! We got there as soon as the sun came out so no-one was around while we were there which was great.

Nova then had a bath so he can look/smell his best for the trip, I used his new whitening shampoo so his blaze, feet and chest are extra clean! He's now buggered and fast asleep :)

1238973_10151666831340787_1461993467_n.jpg

"Why must you bath me?"

1098011_10151666810280787_470402923_n.jpg

Standing (terrible free stacking though lol) with extra white footsies

601483_10151666812245787_645388857_n.jpg

Pooped

1237753_10151666826155787_693726266_n.jpg

Thank Lollipup! How did Envy take your road trips?

It's amazing how fast they grow.

Ahhh! What a good dog and horse!! How did you manage that?

Thanks Lisa. Nova is looking more handsome by the day!

Envy was great on the road trips! The day I got her was a 6 hour drive home and then we did a trip to brisbane when she was 10 weeks old which is 6 hours there and back plus she stayed at a friend's house for a night. She has had to go in the car a lot with me from day one so she just sleeps in her crate then we stopped every couple of hours for toilet breaks. She did well.

Goldie the horse is good with dogs thank goodness, means I only really have to work on the dogs. I've been taking Envy out there and just hanging out and rewarding focus to make sure she is ok with the horses and calm and confident. She is maybe too confident now! went a little close to the feet today, just having a sniff. And she has no boundaries with taking poor Goldie's food and she loves it. They were sharing the bowl today. Neither of them really enjoyed Envy on Goldie's back but they dealt with it well lol

All of your puppies are just gorgeous. :love: Makes me want another...until I remember how much hard work they are. Still, there is nothing quite like a new puppy to make you go aaawww!

They make you go awwwww! and they also make you go. "Why did I do this?" "Not having puppies again" and "What was I thinking?!" Until next time the awwww part takes over and you find yourself with another. Magical powers they have.

Guest hankodie

Lollipup, Envy looks like she is exceptionally well behaved! Can you come here and help train Hank!? I've never seen a dog so chilled out around a horse, you're obviously doing a fantastic job getting Envy used to other animals.

Nova looks very content in that photo where he's drying off! I also took Hank to the water today, it was his first time, didn't manage to get any photos though but he had a ball. Surprisingly he didn't take to it right away and it took lots of coaxing & treats to get him in the water with me :laugh: A few more trips are needed I think before he'll go in willingly! It was really funny though, he got in the water and his legs started propelling him forward straight away, he looked so surprised with himself. Silly retriever doesn't know he's a retriever :laugh:

Thanks lollipop :) I think the same of Envy, I think she will be a very regal looking dog!

She did very well for such long trips so early!

Nova is with me in the car almost every day to go somewhere, quite often he falls asleep after a few minutes but this will be our first trip that last more than an hour since I bought him home.

Trying to work out how often to stop, I'm planning on stopping at Cowras new dog park that Tapua organised, it's pretty nice!

I need to start introducing Nova to horses, he's met some sheep and cows from behind a fence, but my good friend is off on exchange and when she comes back he will probably be near her horse some times. Her horse is great with dogs but I don't know anyone elses that is.

Hankodie, Every time he gets bathed he runs for that chair and tries to dry himself on it, then I have to continue drying him on the chair otherwise he does zoomies lol. The chair must be his safe place.

I'm sure it won't take long at all until Hank find his inner retriever :)

Edited by LisaCC

Lollipup, Envy looks like she is exceptionally well behaved! Can you come here and help train Hank!? I've never seen a dog so chilled out around a horse, you're obviously doing a fantastic job getting Envy used to other animals.

Thank you. I would hope I have some idea what I'm doing since I train dogs for a living lol. I would be happy to come see you if you were closer! Also, it's easy to make things look great on camera. She is good but she isn't perfect. none of my dogs are. :)

Thanks lollipop :) I think the same of Envy, I think she will be a very regal looking dog!

She did very well for such long trips so early!

Nova is with me in the car almost every day to go somewhere, quite often he falls asleep after a few minutes but this will be our first trip that last more than an hour since I bought him home.

Trying to work out how often to stop, I'm planning on stopping at Cowras new dog park that Tapua organised, it's pretty nice!

I need to start introducing Nova to horses, he's met some sheep and cows from behind a fence, but my good friend is off on exchange and when she comes back he will probably be near her horse some times. Her horse is great with dogs but I don't know anyone elses that is.

Hankodie, Every time he gets bathed he runs for that chair and tries to dry himself on it, then I have to continue drying him on the chair otherwise he does zoomies lol. The chair must be his safe place.

I'm sure it won't take long at all until Hank find his inner retriever :)

Sounds like Nova will do great on your road trip! If he will chew on something in the crate while travelling that would be a good idea too as long as he doesn't get car sick when he eats. One thing with Envy is because I have a van and she is in the crate in the back, she doesn't get to travel at a window and look out very often so I've been trying to let her have a go and she definitely isn't very into it yet.

Oooh I forgot! Nova is getting a professional studio photo shoot while I'm back home :)

I wanted to do one before he hits the puppy uglies.

I can't wait to see them!

Gus (in a car seatbelt) was fascinated with out the window at 8 weeks old coming back from the airport, so needless to say now (still seatbelted in!) he loves to hang his head out the window and nap on the backseat. I daresay he would adore a road trip. Haha.

Hankodie, Naw... Hank is scrumptious! The land shark teeth with Odie is a great photo :)

Lollipup, It's amazing how much they grow in 15wks hey! We have a photo of Griffin being licked clean just after he was born. Such a precious photo!

Envy looks quite relaxed atop Goldie :)

Lisa, I too look forward to seeing those professional pics. Does Nova like the bath? We bathes Griffin for the first time yesterday and he wasn't overly impressed. Mind you, it didn't stop him from still trying to get into the bath with the kids again last night - it can't have deterred him too much! lol

We haven't travelled for longer than 25min with Griffin yet. We do lots of short trips every couple of days though. He just sleeps on the back seat with his doggie seatbelt on.

We only have a soft crate. Griffin has been awesome in it - fingers crossed it continues :). We will take it away with us when we go but he won't ride in it in the car - not enough room.

A chew is a great idea thanks Lollipup (silly for not thinking about that!). Unfortunately Nova's crate doesn't fit unfolded in my car so he is seatbelted in the back. But I do have a car seat hammock so he can definitely have something to slobber over without recking the seats.

We leave tomorrow morning and the photo shoot is on Thursday, I'll post them when I get them :)

Rangermad Nova does not like the bath! But his breeder is also a groomer so introduced him to the process as a baby pup. I've bathed him a few times now after getting muddy and stinky and he puts up with it, but does not like it.

I'm going to the first night of beginners obedience tonight! Its a lecture so Nova is also spending his first hour alone outside at night (housemate has already left on holidays). I'm already prepared with a big juicy marrow bone to keep him occupied :)

Guest hankodie

Have fun at obedience Lisa! Lollipup I assumed you were very dog savvy if not a professional!! Sounds like very a fun job :) :)

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get Hank to be a little bit more interested in playing tug with me? I am alternating between food and toy rewards at the moment for good behaviour/recalling.

Is it just a matter of using something like a flirt pole to build him up to it? He's happy to play if I whip out a toy, though he stops tugging after a minute. I'm also not used to his soft mouth since Odie is a bulldog and nearly sends me flying when we play tug! I play a much more gentle game of tug with Hank of course. Should I stick to softer toys for Hank's mouth? Or should I try playing another game with him (not sure what though)

I bought the puppy tug kit from k9 pro but he seems to have only taken to the softest fluffy tug with all the bits of colourful leather hanging of it lol. hasn't shown much interest in the other tugs (Odie on the other hand has been following me around begging for a game of tug)

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: We have sitting on command! Without doing the Spitz thing and telling me to bugger off. Treb is even getting closer to have a recall :D :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Although now I have said something I bet he reverts :laugh:

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok