A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Tyrion has been having a problem with dry flaky skin, at first I thought it was related to fleas - but he has been flea free for about a month now and now he is loosing pathes of fur, I took him to the vet thinking he may have had mange. But, apparently its not - the vet seems to think its an allergic reaction to something which has now caused a secondary skin infection. He has two lots of medication and a medicated shampoo and will need bathing twice a week for three weeks.

He also is not gaining weight. Despite a cup of Blackhawk, 100 grms of beef mince and a couple of chicken necks a day, which I thought would have been ample food for a Corgi. The vet has said over the next month while we are treating his skin condition to stop measuring out feeding and feed as much as he wants to eat (keeping an eye on weight of course) and that if he still hasn't gained when I go back we'll start looking for underlying health issues. Argh!

Steph thought you and Rosie might be interested if you arent busy on Saturday

Yarra Valley Whippet Social Racing Club ( on FB have a fun day on Saturday)

Ooooh, I have a dental xray that morning, but I might have a look!

Wonder if they take dubious crosses? Haha. :o

Are you coming along?

Are you coming along?

Im sure you could ask, they allow Igs :) Sadly I wont be there as I have the human kids dancing concert tomorrow night/Sat/Sat night and backing it up with a dog show in Ballarat on Sunday.

Hopefully next year I will be there :)

Are you coming along?

Im sure you could ask, they allow Igs :) Sadly I wont be there as I have the human kids dancing concert tomorrow night/Sat/Sat night and backing it up with a dog show in Ballarat on Sunday.

oh were is the dog show? Im interested in coming for a looksee :D

Are you coming along?

That's a shame, Whippytails, curse those pesky human kids! I sent a message to ask if misc, imitation whippets would be allowed and got back if they're friendly should be fine. The x's might have a run alone unless there are some open minded whippet owners who don't mind them interloping. I should hope it's not a big issue, she would love it! She's 12kg of pure muscle at this point.

I was also told that they need to have a reasonable recall as the area isn't entirely 100% secure/whippy-proof.

Just F-everyone's-I. Haha.

Edited by Steph M

Show is at CANINE AREA, MORSHEAD PARK, PLEASANT STREET SOUTH, BALLARAT and judging starts at 9am. If you see me come and say Hi. Should be the only blue Ig there. (sorry the addy is in captials I just copied it of the schedule :) )

Woohoo sounds like Rosie might have another great day out :)

Are you coming along?

That's a shame, Whippytails, curse those pesky human kids! I sent a message to ask if misc, imitation whippets would be allowed and got back if they're friendly should be fine. The x's might have a run alone unless there are some open minded whippet owners who don't mind them interloping. I should hope it's not a big issue, she would love it! She's 12kg of pure muscle at this point.

I was also told that they need to have a reasonable recall as the area isn't entirely 100% secure/whippy-proof.

Just F-everyone's-I. Haha.

if she doesn't have a good recall, take a video camera and she might be the new Fenton.

--Lhok

Show is at CANINE AREA, MORSHEAD PARK, PLEASANT STREET SOUTH, BALLARAT and judging starts at 9am. If you see me come and say Hi. Should be the only blue Ig there. (sorry the addy is in captials I just copied it of the schedule :) )

Woohoo sounds like Rosie might have another great day out :)

Excellent If I manage to get there I will try find you. Since I can't take Tyrion to puppy school this week i'll prob be able to make it :)

Steph, I've been meaning to tell you, Nixon has joined his buddy Gus in the 'mole' club, but Nixon's is inside his ear! It appeared a couple of weeks ago and is growing quite quickly! It's cauliflower style, but dark brown.

In other news, we've decided to desex Nixon next week :( I feel awful and conflicted, but I'm 98% certain his barking is hormonal, and we aren't home enough to try to deal with it through training. My lovely next door neighbour called me at work yesterday afternoon to say she'd gotten home earlier than normal, and he'd been barking non stop for at least 1.5hours... I could hear him barking through the phone, and she was calling from her house...

It has been quite a sudden, clear change is his behaviour, and I don't think it's fair to be relying so heavily on our neighbours' good natures for the next 3 months (at least).

Well, Willow has found her big girl bark!

Two mornings in a row she's greeted the day with one if the biggest and deepest woofs I've heard. Actually more of a Ruff, woo, woo, woo, Woof.

And yesterday while tracking, for some reason she was distracted by a bunch of people near the car and let them know she wasn't keen. I assume because Dory was in the car going off as they walked too close. Willow and I were standing quite a distance away, trying to track. Which she did! Once she realised there was no threat.

She was back to people loving, tail wagging, goofball in no time. :)

She's also become pretty flirty with the 'men' dogs. Which are those with testicles. Those who don't have a full set are goofy, playmates. We await her first season. Mop and towels at the ready.

Steph, I've been meaning to tell you, Nixon has joined his buddy Gus in the 'mole' club, but Nixon's is inside his ear! It appeared a couple of weeks ago and is growing quite quickly! It's cauliflower style, but dark brown.

In other news, we've decided to desex Nixon next week :( I feel awful and conflicted, but I'm 98% certain his barking is hormonal, and we aren't home enough to try to deal with it through training. My lovely next door neighbour called me at work yesterday afternoon to say she'd gotten home earlier than normal, and he'd been barking non stop for at least 1.5hours... I could hear him barking through the phone, and she was calling from her house...

It has been quite a sudden, clear change is his behaviour, and I don't think it's fair to be relying so heavily on our neighbours' good natures for the next 3 months (at least).

I am convinced they’re spirit buddies. The moles are gross. Gus has a tiny little bald spot under one of his eyes and we had the vet have a look at it and it’s not fungal or bacterial and we’re just holding our breath it isn’t a new wart and just a bit he’s lost through roughhousing with Rosie. It’s been there for weeks and nothing has happened. Looks like a teardrop. Brooke calls it his prison mark. Ahem…

And regarding the desexing, 9 months is pretty good. Lots of dogs are done at 8 weeks and show no ill effects, he’s not likely to suffer anything great at this point. You’ve kept them as long as you can and it’s probably stressing him out having these hormones and no outlet for them.

Still worth wondering what will distract him or keep him busy after, you don’t want it to become a self-rewarding PITA habit. Any closer to us and he’d certainly have a play-buddy! They can compare warts….hahaha. Ew.

if she doesn't have a good recall, take a video camera and she might be the new Fenton.

--Lhok

Omg! Hahaha!!!!

There was a mal at lure coursing last weekend who just decided he wasn’t interested in the lure and was having a sniff and then refusing to be caught. Went on for about 10 minutes and everyone applauded the guy who caught her in rugby tackle!

I couldn’t handle the shame of it all….

Well, Willow has found her big girl bark!

Two mornings in a row she's greeted the day with one if the biggest and deepest woofs I've heard. Actually more of a Ruff, woo, woo, woo, Woof.

And yesterday while tracking, for some reason she was distracted by a bunch of people near the car and let them know she wasn't keen. I assume because Dory was in the car going off as they walked too close. Willow and I were standing quite a distance away, trying to track. Which she did! Once she realised there was no threat.

Gus had a big bark the other day too. He was asleep in bed and Brooke was coming home late and possibly tipsy and bumbled in the door, gave us both a fright and Gus charged out barking and then realised it was Brooke and got so sooky and apologetic. I think he would have done the same HAD it been a burglar but hey. It’s comforting to know he’d at least let me know if we were about to get murdered…haha.

It is a proud moment, isn’t it!

This thread is lacking photo updates! Cmon everyone!

Well as no one else is I'll spam with photos again!

Nova's being a big cuddly sook this week with his sore ear. We currently have no couch (might be up to a month waiting on delivery crying.gif) So we snuggle on opposite chairs instead laugh.gif

"Please don't stop"

IMG_1908_zps87d1cfb1.jpg

"Where'd you go?"

IMG_1897_zps60ba8089.jpg

Do you like my tongue?

IMG_1913_zpsd635f91b.jpg

Nixon had a bare spot under his eye too - I'm pretty sure it was from some dog park bitey-face shenanigans :)

Thanks for being so reassuring Steph - I feel like a bad mummy at the moment, but given I can see it affecting him adversely I think it is probably the right thing to do. And holding out this long has been an achievement in itself!!

It's definitely a pity you guys aren't closer - I'm sure some play dates with Gus and Rosie would wear him out beautifully!

I'll see if the vet can remove his mole while he's under. From the googling I've done, it tends to be a viral thing in puppies - trust Nixon to catch anything and everything that's going around!

I love that first pic of Nova Lisa - he look so cute snuggling in the bean bag!

This is a funny pic I took of Nix the other night - I gave him half a carrot to eat while I was cooking dinner, and I swear it just exploded!

1463068_10152037539337889_936162606_n.jpg

I call it his frog pose :) I think he lies like that more than in any other position. Must keep the boys cool ;)

That's awful Nova has an infected ear! I had an ear infection after bursting my eardrum once - it came up within a couple of hours and was absolutely agonising! Some of the worst pain I've ever had, so I hope the vet can mange to see Nova asap, or at least sort out some antibiotics and painkillers for you...

Yeah, it's just an attractive little thing to add to Gus's list of things that make him a winner! I got his Xmas photos back yesterday, and the photographer had wiped his wart out and he looked like a different dog! I was blown away, haha. Not better or worse, it's just a fixture now. Part of life I guess.

I have to admit, we’re almost ready to have Gus done too. Early next year would be about when we’re thinking. It’s not that he’s worrying me but the change in other dogs is noticeable and he’s getting picked on a bit. I love his soft, love everything nature and wouldn’t want that to change after he’s had one too many growls from another dog. It’s just not worth it. His breeder suggested 9 months to be a good time initially and I think we’re ready to have it over with.

He’s a good size, and is developing well so far and I’d like to think it won’t be too detrimental. He should be almost a year when we get round to it but I could happily do it now before summer, alas, the no swimming, no running, no exercise would be hard to do at the moment, as we have doggy things on most weekends. He's off to try his paw at retrieving this weekend. Should be interesting…

Will provide photos. It’s at a winery so if all else fails I will drown my sorrows. Haha!

That carrot is cracking me up!

Back from the vet. Did a scraping and looked under the microscope, 2 types of bacteria which was probably carried by the grass seed, and the ear drum damage made it worse.

10 days of some anti-bacterial drops. Continuing with the anti-inflammatories, if he's the pain is still there come Monday the vet will give him some steroids.

Poor boy was screaming when he put the swab in.

In other news, I didn't think I would have to tell people not to touch my dog in a vet clinic waiting room! Of course they all go straight for his head. When I told them to please not because he is in a lot of pain they just said "Oh but he is too cute not to!!" icon_smile_mad.gif

Guest hankodie

Lovely photos everyone! I love the ones of Nova's tongue hanging out, he looks so happy :laugh:

Hank seems to be off his food today, he had the runs last night and his poo was a bit sloppy this morning. He still ate but left about a quarter of his food in the bowl (which he never does) so I am keeping an eye on him. He's acting normal though - I was cleaning out my wardrobe and he had great fun running off with my shoes and hiding them everywhere! Odie had a really bad case of the runs last week - she had to go on meds, so I'm hoping it's not something nasty like a tummy bug :(

I am thinking of switching his food as well - he's currently on Holistic Select Large Breed and it seems to be producing more poo than I'd like. What kibble is everyone feeding their pups? There are so many choices it's a bit overwhelming!