Sus On Buyer Of My Pup

dogmate

I have phoned her her mobile is switched off or out of mobile range. I have emailed her and aslo sent a facebook message still no reply. I dont think that having thta number of anmals means a horarder but she hasnt been honest with me and wont reply to me if she doesnt reply before getting a pup she definately wont afterwards. So now i wait to hear from her so i can return her deposit.

If she had turned up on the appointed day to collect the puppy you may have been legally obliged to hand it over but as she has not turned up and cannot be contacted you cannot be expected to keep the puppy indefinitely and should now be able to sell it to someone else so long as you refund her deposit asap. I never ever promise anyone a puppy and warn them that I will not decide what I am keeping until 8 weeks. If they want to leave a deposit to have first dibs on a particular puppy if it is available I will take it but it is never a guarantee that they will get a puppy. That gives me an out if I change my mind about them right up until the last minute.

Finally got a reply shes changed her mind. She has requested half her refund back. Im happy to do that or all of it. What do others think. Shes decided she cant commit to a puppy betterr now than in 6 months time and i have to try and get him back.

I would send it all back. I had a pup sold all paid for even the plane cost was paid and puppy pack and papers send than something had hapend and they could not take the pup dident want money back but i gave the lot backone day later the pup was sold

Edited by woodys

I'd be refunding the lot. And then mutter "good riddance" when you send it off. My gut tells me this could have been a transaction filled with heartache and angst.

Editing to add: After years of second-guessing the intentions of puppy people, the cynic in me says that if you keep ANY of the deposit it may be used against you later on if the purchaser talks to too many people and decides that she wants a puppy from you down the track.

Also, check canine controlling body rules and also Fair Trading rules...in some places full deposits must be refunded.

Edited by ellz

My first thought was to send all the deposit back. My 2nd thought is to keep some because a) you have incurred extra cost by keeping the pup for longer then you thought not to mention phone calls etc made and b) there should be some consequence to her actions. You may not have been the first breeder she has stuffed around nor may you be the last.

I have emailed her and to.d her the deposit will be fully refunded once the pup has a new home. I dont need any more dramas. She was apologetic and i can thank the lucky stars he didnt go to her. He might now be going to a friend so fi gers crossed that comes off great home there.

So use this as a lesson learned and write up what it means when you take a deposit and when it will and will not be refunded in more detail. Work out why you take the deposit in the first place and what it means to you, what extra work you put in when they make a commitment that you dont need to do if someone is only making an enquiry if they pull the plug.

In any other "business" or activity people charge for time and services rendered - in fact yesterday I received an account from someone who is just an ordinary every day person and not part of any business who has charged me 8 hours x 25 dollars an hour to arrange to have someone's power turned off. He charged me 86 hours at 25 dollars an hour for 10 days to walk three houses down and feed 6 chooks. Legally its called pain and troubles apparently icon_smile_mad.gifand if I dont want to pay it he gets to go to the court and charge me more hours of pain and troubles at 25 dollars an hour.

As long as you disclose before they place a deposit what this means and the exact conditions under what circumstances will apply that you donate all of the extra time and work to them that you need to which you will now need to give to any new person who shows up once they become a definite puppy buyer and refund their money all is well but if you have made an agreement and later have to ask someone else what would you do or what can you do its a clear indication that you haven't covered what needs to be covered before you take a deposit and you need to address that before you take another one.