She Won't Get Out Of The Rain!

MissB

Hi everyone,

My 14 month German Shepard Adra won't get out of the rain. Sydney is having pretty miserable weather at the moment and I'm worried that she may get sick. She has a huge dog house and other shelter but she won't go in it or sit under it. I don't like having to tie her up to stay dry, nor can I bring her inside as she's not an inside dog, ( last time I tried to get her in the laundry, she ate the woodwork! ) Will she be okay or will she get sick?

There maybe a problem with her doghouse.

Is it out of the way? can you put it where she can see inside etc?

Is it too small for her? dogs don't like it if the bang their head going in.

Is it level? if it wobbles that puts them off too.

If she has a fave spot she sleeps outside put it there.

Some dogs just don't like kennels, do you have a covered pergola you can put a bed under?

perhaps you could buy a crate for the laundry for her to sleep in?

Kenny hated rain, he didn't even like walking on wet grass, Cougar doesn't like rain either, maybe Bullbreeds are just sooks. :laugh:

I wouldn't worry too much, think about all the working dogs who are left out in the elements.

I had a border collie who prefered to be outside and would sit in pouring rain squinting to stop the water running into his eyes even though he had access to the house and dog beds under a covered entertainment area. Double coats have water proof qualities and when you parted his coat his skin would be dry.

I had a border collie who prefered to be outside and would sit in pouring rain squinting to stop the water running into his eyes even though he had access to the house and dog beds under a covered entertainment area. Double coats have water proof qualities and when you parted his coat his skin would be dry.

My border collie does this. He has free choice to come inside or under the patio and he stands in the rain looking pathetic and miserable as if it's the worst day of his life and he has no choice. But he is dry underneath the outer coat :laugh:

Hey everybody,

Thank you all so much for your responses.

Airedaler, I couldn't think of any better way to sum my dog up! :laugh: She is unbelievably stubborn! Nothing I do, could ever get her to do what I want her to do!

Juice, There's nothing wrong with her dog house. We have a decently large backyard which is fence in half. ( opened, like pool fencing ) that way my kids can go out side without me having to worry they are going to get bowled over! On her side, she can easily see her dog house, which is large, ( my kids and myself, fit in it together! ) It doesn't wobble and although its not in her favorite place, I cant move it as I nailed down. ( it is a custom built one ) The pergola does cover some of her area and I haven't thought about a create but its a good idea, but , ( don't laugh! ) Ive never used one before, so how does that work? How often do you let them out?

Rosetta, Ive tried that one! She just drags it out into the rain with her!

Persephone, Thank you for your advice. Adra is very active! Everyone who meets her tells me she needs Valium!

Mantis, :laugh: that's funny! My other beautiful girl, who is not with us anymore :(, She sat in the rain too! Maybe it is a breed thing!

Ronda, I didn't think of that, but 'Im not sure i could do anything about that. Any suggestions?

Janba, I noticed that recently. I always wondered how she would always sit in the rain and she never appeared to be wet! Thank you for the explanation.

Lollipup, :laugh: Aren't their personality's amazing?! They are the best actors when they want to be! Its adorable though!