Can Female Dogs Soon Be Sterilized By A 1-dose, Edible Sterilant?

I don't know, but I do know that alarm bells started ringing as soon as I read "co-founder of PETA..."

Also, it has the potential to be easily misused. For example, someone with a grudge against a particular breeder need only throw one "treat" over the fence to destroy someone's breeding stock. I'm sure other people are better at training than I am, but personally I have about as much hope of mine not eating something edible in their own yard as I do of sprouting wings. (Not that I have breeding stock, but just as an example.)

From a medicinal point of view, I would think it highly unlikely without major side effects at the minimum. It would be something that would not be likely to pass regulatory requirements in Australia.

Never say never. But I think if you consider how much effort has gone into creating human reproductive inhibitors over years and years, and things are still not failsafe - very unlikely.

AR scare tactics? Or AR dreams perhaps?

I’ve no doubt that many horrible things can be done to a bitch by feeding her poison. “One dose” of strychnine will kill, others can paralyse, etc.

However the notion than any such atrocity would ever be “approved” is beyond nonsensical.

Made me curious to search. Found paper for shelter vets & staff on topic of search for non-surgical sterilant for dogs & cats. Goes thro' present means available . Only gets down to fact, at the end, that any permanent one-dose sterilant is still at an 'idea' stage. Research has a long way to go.

Gives a good warning that, if such a product were to be developed, it'd need to meet the approval of a range of people, from vets, to welfare... and to the public. So it's important to bring up the kind of cautions that people have posted:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5-FfV8YYk_kJ:www.arkcharities.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/shelter-medicine-chapter-nonsurgical.pdf+US+Veterinary+Association+one+dose+sterilant+female+dogs&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=safari

Edited by mita

Gives a good warning that, if such a product were to be developed, it'd need to meet the approval of a range of people, from vets, to welfare... and to the public. So it's important to bring up the kind of cautions that people have posted:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5-FfV8YYk_kJ:www.arkcharities.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/shelter-medicine-chapter-nonsurgical.pdf+US+Veterinary+Association+one+dose+sterilant+female+dogs&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=safari

And Government standards too. Which include efficacy and safety: http://www.apvma.gov.au/