Bloody Snakes!

Nic.B

Ruby is home! But she's still not moving her legs :( Otherwise she is pretty normal, eating drinking by her self even just watched her attempt to catch a fly.

If there is no improvement on Monday we have been advised to take her to the diagnostic vet centre. The normal vets have done all they can for her.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ruby is home! But she's still not moving her legs :( Otherwise she is pretty normal, eating drinking by her self even just watched her attempt to catch a fly.

If there is no improvement on Monday we have been advised to take her to the diagnostic vet centre. The normal vets have done all they can for her.

Poor girl. Is it a reaction to the bite or do the vets think there is something else going on?

They honestly aren't sure. She had some very weird symptoms but they did improve with the antivenin. Luckily there are only brown snakes around here so only one option of antivenin to give. So it's either a prolonged reaction from a snake bite or something else is happening. If there are no improvements by Monday then there may be something else going on.

She gets very stressed at the vets so they said as she is stable being home would be the best for her.

She's still the same. Bit sleepy but thats to be expected.

Odd thing is that she can feel her legs, if you give her a pinch between her toes she can feel it, She moves them slightly in her sleep. But she can't even move her front legs to hold something.

Her throat is quite raspy, she's been barking a little at the next door neighbour but it sounds a bit like she's been de-barked.

She also hasn't pooped since I got her home.

I'm just about to post a general topic. I need some ideas on how to keep her occupied, she is getting bored. I tried putting some peanut butter in her kong but as she can't grab it it kept rolling away. Even propping it up it kept falling so she couldn't get to it.

A slithery thing dashed by my foot yesterday while I was gardening yesterday. Saw it again disappearing into a bush around half an hour later. Snake or skink? Don't know. Gave me a fright.

Edited by Sheridan

On going issue here,surrounded by bushland and ideal for snakes.Most common are the browns :eek:

and they are very prolific here.

The dogs have killed 2 in the last month and that doesn't include the one that startled me in the hay a week ago.

Found a nest of RBB's 100 metres from the house,in a pile of loose rock and dirt.Even if I could get them all,the spot would likely be taken up by a brown. :shrug: I'd rather the RBBs knowing that we are going to have snakes regardless.

We encourage the goannas and lizards so at least theres competition.

O.H caught the end of a radio program with a C.S.I.R.O scientist who mentioned research into repellants.2 plants were mentioned.Geraniums were one and O.H didn't catch the second.

I might make an exception to "no bushy plants in the garden" if true.Would like to know the 2nd plant mentioned!

Geraniums are very poisonous for dogs (and most stock) so make sure they cannot get to them if possible

Thanks for the warning! :thumbsup:

So now to find out the other plant mentioned...and hope its safer for critters.

This is what I could find regarding plants that snakes don't like:

LAVENDER – Rabbits and snakes don’t like the smell

MARIGOLDS – An excellent snake repellent, and mosquitoes dislike them too

GERANIUMS – Rabbits and snakes avoid this pungent plant