Bloody Snakes!

Nic.B

Has anyone tried the snake repellents?

They are fairly dear but several people I know have bought them and said after putting them up they suddenly saw large numbers of snakes, presumably resident snakes pulling up their stakes and leaving.

Not sure if that is actually what was happening or not but thought I'd mention them since several people had a nana last time when killing snakes was mentioned (there was legislation posted that said they could be killed if scaring people (can't remember which state this was) or threatening people or property/livestock (this was NSW)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone tried the snake repellents?

They are fairly dear but several people I know have bought them and said after putting them up they suddenly saw large numbers of snakes, presumably resident snakes pulling up their stakes and leaving.

Not sure if that is actually what was happening or not but thought I'd mention them since several people had a nana last time when killing snakes was mentioned (there was legislation posted that said they could be killed if scaring people (can't remember which state this was) or threatening people or property/livestock (this was NSW)

Snake Repellents are a waste of time and money.

They do NOT work. At all.

I have tested them on my own snakes - Venomous and non-venomous and they will actually curl up beneath them and sleep.

DOLer Snakecatcher has tested them too, and I believe he got similar results.

Maybe the snakes were being attracted to them then lol

ETA: I have Guineas, chickens and such and I have seen my birds eat a couple of small snakes now, not sure what kind. Those Guineas seem to really hate them, they will all run at the snake and corner it and if they can't get it they will just stay there and yell at it.... From my own experiences I would recommend Guineas.

Rumour has it peafowl will kill them too but I cannot confirm this. I had a huge brown snake in my peafowl enclosure before and my pair were completely unconcerned.

Edited by BlackJaq

I agree wholeheartedly- Bloody snakes

Lisa CC I hope your partners girl survives, our boy didn't today.

Tip was a Jack Russell, and very good at despatching snakes, but not today.

We are on 5 acres just outside of town, and it has no trees, almost no shrubs, is kept short, and his backyard has 5 ft paling fences, tight together, cement under it, other palings running horizontally, no known entry points, nothing in the yard, no food, no water no vermin- but still the snakes come.

Today Tip lost the battle with a brown snake, he passed away when I was almost at the vets, I guess I can expect a speeding fine or such too, and a gate and tree were victims of my attempts at reversing too.

There is nothing we can do about snakes, it is part of life in Australia, and Jack Russells are never going to leave them alone, so I guess my husband and I and our border Collie will just have to survive the tears, but thankfully there were no what ifs- we did all we could.

Good luck to all who have snake problems.

Di

I am so sorry for your loss Alyosha :( That is my worst nightmare.

I know how much you adore your dogs. Run free boy :heart:

Thanks Nic. It was devastating for his family, and very sad for us too.

Di I'm so sorry to hear about your little guy. Run free Tip. :(

I'm so sorry for your losses Aloysha and Tikira. :(

I also want to add my condolences to Aloysha and Tikira. One of my worst nightmares. We lost a former foster dog, Suzie, to snakebite last weekend too. Her owner is devastated.

Repellers: I think they 'may' deter some snakes or at best confuse them but I had a brown in my house yard last week and it was 3-4M from the Repeller, lying out in the open. Grass is short here and I'd sprayed roundup against the fenceline so I could see what might be around (+ it's easier to mow around the repellers). You can see the repeller in the pic attached and if you look in the foreground just in front of the star picket you will see some disturbed dirt which is where the snake was.

I'm not sure if I will replace my repellers when they stop working or not now, they are expensive and they don't actually last that long. BTW, Suzie's owner had spent over $600 for repellers for his yard and he still lost her.

post-4611-0-71075300-1363292086_thumb.jpg

S

Edited by Sheilaheel02

Sorry for you loss Tikira frown.gif No snakes on the rainbow bridge.rainbowbridge.gif

Quick update from the vet, the Antivenin seemed to have worked a little last night, Ruby is breathing properly now. Obviously still not out of the woods as she was showing very very strange symptoms. Still not walking but she hates the vets and wouldn't walk in there when she could. I've been told to come visit at midday so hopefully get her up and have a little walk.

Try tipping as much boiling water as u can down the hole

That's a bit cruel. If you're going to kill a snake atleast be quick about it rather than boil them alive. What a horrible thing to do.

Condolences to those of you who have lost your dogs to snake bite.

Try tipping as much boiling water as u can down the hole

That's a bit cruel. If you're going to kill a snake atleast be quick about it rather than boil them alive. What a horrible thing to do.

Condolences to those of you who have lost your dogs to snake bite.

I agree with you Raz.

I got to visit Ruby today. Poor darling, she is looking much better, but can't stand up. Generally she is actually quite a healthy dog and the vet thinks she'll survive. She's just had a very odd reaction. Doesn't help that she is terrified of the clinic and is refusing to eat there. Full bloods to come this arvo.