Kong Toy Advice

StaffSam

Hi everyoneI asked this question in another area but hadn't heard anything as yet so thought I should put it in puppy area. We have a neary 11 week old stafford and wanted to know if it was safe to use the small kong chew toy in our absence away from home or should it be supervised and only used when we are home. Also it says to put peanut butter in it.....will this be okay? Trying to think of some new things for her to entertain herself for the times we aren't around. smile.gif Thanks

I give this to my staffords sometimes as a treat. They love peanut butter! Takes them ages to lick it out. I probably wouldn't use a small one, and not the 'puppy' kong as they are good chewers! I have mediums & large kongs here.

Edited by Lisey

Thanks for your reply Lisey! The kong I have says medium and it the extreme the toughest formula... It isn't a puppy one it says it is for power chewers ( oh man and she certainly is)biggrin.gif although confusingly it also says down the bottom that power chewers may need to upsize... Assume that's when she's bigger?Thanks a lot....have been worrying as have had some time off with her but returning to work shortly and want to set her up best I can

where can you find the real tough Kongs from?

I bought one years ago for our older cavs (and I thought it was a fairly heavy duty type even tho I didnt think they needed that type), and its never been chewed and suddenly our 14 week cavalier puppy has chewed heaps of the end bits of it. Ive had to throw it in the bin now as I didn't want her swallowing all the little rubber bits from it eeek eek1.gif

The one I had for them was a medium size

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Hi I got mine from our local pet supply shop. It says on the packaging that it's medium and it is called kong extreme. Hopefully it is...eek1.gif. Maybe they have improved the formula. The shop actually told me that another brand made them and they offered full warrantee on them had lifetime guarantee . Can't remember the name of that, but I did decided to go with kong as I had heard of it before

We had a kong for one of our kelpies,she got her tongue stuck in it, a rushed trip to the vet to get it off. I know a lot of people use them without any problems, but that was our experience with it and I would never use one unsupervised.

A trainer told me once that the regular Kong toys are the best. I use Kong puppy for my puppy and so far have no problems. He's only interested in it if there were food in it though, so he doesn't chew on it, only licking, manipulating it and throwing it around until the food comes out. I got all my Kongs from Amazon for cheap when they had a big discount.

Thanks littlesev. I got the toughest I could only cause I believe staffs are very good chewers. I just tried it out with a bit of peanut butter..... So far she has barked at it rolled and chased it chewed it and pawed at it! Now she has just flung it away and is doing crazy laps around the lounge insteadrofl1.gif....

I leave them with my dogs unsupervised pretty regularly. They both have their methods with them. Erik bites the outside to break up the frozen mince and veggie mix inside and then tips it over and bangs it on the ground to shake the loose bits out. It's quite cool watching him. He's got it down to an art. We have also stuffed them with cream cheese and dry treats, squeezed giblets or chicken necks in and packed them with mince and frozen, and even when Erik has had an upset tummy he gets frozen chicken and rice in his. They get them most days and E gets nearly all his mince intake through frozen Kongs.

They are tough, but the rubber perishes over time, especially if it has been outside. We have had one or two break down and the biggest end come off. You can still use the bottom part of the Kong if you're keen, but we throw them out and replace them. Our dogs don't chew them once they are empty, though. They carry them around sometimes, but don't seem interested in destroying them.

Mine will also chew them with no treats inside... They just enjoy chewing. I have had to replace them over time but Kong's and rope toys are the longest survivors in this house :)

I also use to use the Wobbler to give Eva her breakfast when she was an only dog. I would give that to her as I was leaving for work.

Mine get them every day! I have several, and each weekend I soak up a couple of cups of their ordinary dry food (just cover with hot water and wait till it goes soggy), shove it in hard with a spoon and freeze! Pull one out for each dog for their brekky as I leave!

Takes them a while to get used to using them, start with the food really loose, so it comes out just by the pup moving the kong, then gradually make it more difficult until she learns to really work at it (or starve!!!!)! :rofl:

Hi I got mine from our local pet supply shop. It says on the packaging that it's medium and it is called kong extreme. Hopefully it is...eek1.gif. Maybe they have improved the formula. The shop actually told me that another brand made them and they offered full warrantee on them had lifetime guarantee . Can't remember the name of that, but I did decided to go with kong as I had heard of it before

Ok thanks, im not sure what brand it was and even where I got ours from. But its no good now frown.gif

I haven't had issues with them unsupervised.

My girl is a slow eater though so I don't worry about her getting caught.

She would never just lick paste out of it.

I use them in conjunction with meals. It's either part of her meat ration for the day, or you can fill it with kibble and water and freeze overnight.

I always freeze otherwise it's over with very quickly.

Another option might be a treat ball, or kong wobbler, tug a jug etc as something else to occupy a young mind

They're made as a food dispenser, to feed the dogs meals out of them not to just smear paste inside for the dog to stick its tongue into.

Many do this & bring them in boarding & i don't think they clean then out either :eek:

All sorts of hideous things growing out of them & the smell .

We don't leave them unsupervised in the kennels & nor do we leave treat balls ,

To many cases of them stuck on the dogs tongue .

I find for some dogs there like a teaser for something so close that they can't have because the stuff comes out so slow

I have heard of dogs dying when their tongues get caught in them (if the top hole is blocked it creates a suction effect). Make sure you get them the right size as apparently this reduces the risk - better to be too big than too small. Mine only get them when I'm home. Their favourite is plain yoghourt with a bit of banana and coconut oil, frozen. Great for the hot weather.

Thanks everyone for the advice... And I will check out both links too! Really appreciate you all taking the time to respond. Last night I actually made her dry bikkies into a mince and froze it for part of her meal this morning. She must have loved it as it is all gone! Although I already have a medium size I might also get the large just in case thumbsup1.gif Thanks