Help - Not Eating After Surgery

Hi There

My dog had spleen/tumour removal surgery two Fridays ago. He is due to have his stitches out tomorrow, but is refusing to eat or drink today.

He has been fine up to now.

His gums are still pink.

Even when he had the tumour and was eating almost nothing, he would still eat morsels of warm cooked chicken from my hand.

Ok.. he is vomiting bile outside now.

Edited by violetmay

Poor boy.. Is he still on any meds?

A checkup at the vet I suggest.

Yes he is still on metacam for pain and antibiotics. I had a huge struggle to get both medicines in his this morning, normally he loves metacam but kept turning his head away from it.

Just not sure whether to wait for his appointment (9am tomorrow) or take him to the emergency vet now.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Back from emergency vet. Pretty much a non event, she couldn't find anything wrong with the dog. She gave me maxalon tablets (anti-nausea) and losec tablets (to decrease stomach acid).

I don't feel as worried now, she said he didn't have a temperature and she couldn't find anything wrong.

So now wait until we see our normal vet tomorrow.

Bit of an update. Dog still isn't eating or drinking. Went to regular vet yesterday to have his stitches out and regular vet find couldn't find anything wrong with him. Will do a blood test if it continues. Dog is acting normally, but is just turning his head away when any food or drink is offered.

I've been recommended this product by people on the dog spleen cancer facebook group.

http://www.vitamingrocer.com.au/Enervite-Senior-Vitamin-Paste-Supplement-4-25-oz-p/300063.htm - unfortunately it ships from the US, and I need it now. Does anyone know of something similar I could buy in Australia.

Or any tricks to get a dog eating/drinking.

Thanks

Seems dog has severe nausea ...and I am surprised the vet didn't give you anything to help with that :(

Nausea can be caused by all sorts of things, and after such an op ... it is a real worry, and I'm sorry you are having trouble .

A dog not eating/drinking , and still trying to recover from surgery :(

Did the vet give extra fluids per I.V or injected under the skin?Seems to me he needs supplementing with fluid /nourishment now ..before it gets worse

The more dehydrated he gets, the sicker he will feel ......

You could try Nutrigel which is available in most pet stores or from the vet there is a highly palatable prescription diet called Hills AD. It is very easy to digest and full of calories so might be helpful to start him on this, if he'll eat it, and then start mixing a little of his other food in after a few days.

http://www.troylab.com.au/products.php?tid=1&iid=32&pid=166

I find it really odd that the vet isn't being a little more proactive after such a serious operation if he is not eating or drinking at all It could be anything, dogs don't stop eating for no reason and any more than 24hrs without drinking is very serious and I would have thought he would require fluids. In terms of what you can use to tempt him I have always found tinned cat food works for even the sickest dog but that is only treating the symptoms. Peritonitis is a possibility and would require a scan for diagnosis