Any New Meds To Help With Storm Phobias?

Stitch

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That may be a valid point you have raised Stitch regarding the ear phone thing. My girl isn't too bad before a storm. Does get a bit upset but not to the extent of my previous dog that was a drooling mess 3 hours before the storm hit. I think it is the case with some dogs & the atmosphereic pressure etc. They can feel it /sense it.

My girl is extremely sensitive to noise. Any noise.

I suppose my girl is noise sensitive too....she howls if I don't answer the phone quickly enough. She could be a hearing assistance dog as she lets me know about all unusual sounds around the place!! LOL

Thank you for that article Rosetta. I will be asking for that med. from the vet!!

Edited by Stitch

I read that article after I started giving Molly Xanax (which is Kalma) because if I don't get it into her enough she is so bad that I have thought she would have a heart attack from panting so damn fast. It is awful to see them in so much distress. Xanax (Kalma) works fairly quickly, it's just a matter of getting the dose right. I usually give 2 MG and the side effect is after it has worn off, Molly gets the munchies! And will try and bust into the laundry to get the cat food so I usually give her a small meal.

Hi Biannca.a, yes Xanax is Kalma & is working very well for Stella atm. She has 1mg, morning & night.

It is often used by my Vet in under weight animals to help them gain weight as it stimulates ones appetite. So you just have to keep an eye on your dogs weight.

I haven't read the article yet rosetta but will when I get a moment.

Edited by BC Crazy

I found with my rotty girl that challenging the fear while doing something she loved worked well. She went from 50kgs of trembling mess trying to sit on my head to within a few storms eagerly looking for a game.

Initially I waited till the storm had started to ebb, then on went our coats and off we went for a walk and play in the wind and rain. She was a smart girl, so as soon as a storm looked likely I would put out the coats and she knew something good was coming.

She was able to build a good association that outweighed her fear.

Hi Biannca.a, yes Xanax is Kalma & is working very well for Stella atm. She has 1mg, morning & night.

It is often used by my Vet in under weight animals to help them gain weight as it stimulates ones appetite. So you just have to keep an eye on your digs weight.

I haven't read the article yet rosetta but will when I get a moment.

The article is so sad :( But enlightening for those that perhaps think the dog should just get over it. Oh I thought Stella was on Prozac too. Interesting to give Xanax as a twice daily med as the effects don't seem to last long...(with me or Molly) :)

Biannca, my Vet allowed me to use 2mg per day for Stella. 1mg works for up to 6 hours according to him. Whether that depends on the size/weight of the dog, I'm thinking it might.

So usually mornings & late afternoons are my girls most difficult times over the whole day. If there is a thunder storm I am able to give her another 1/4 to 1/2 tab if need be.

I am using it in conjunction with other meds. So far I have seen great results. As you know it is such an uphill battle to try & win :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Unfortunately all those drops like Rescue Remedy don't work either....I am presuming that Pet Ark Calm is one of those???

Valium sounds interesting Piper, I will enquire about that at the vet.

Crate training...all my dogs are crate trained in fact I sometimes just have to put her in her crate during a storm as she runs around so frantically if I don't, and she drools over everything. She seems to prefer the crate but I have had her in the crate, with the thundershirt, with me sitting beside her, sprayed DAP, rescue remedy or similar and she is still a mess.

After the storm is over she drinks and drinks to restore hydration. :(

Rescue Remedy is for very minor anxiety. PetArk Calm is a supplement you put in their meals. None of the reccomendations will be a miracle cure as I'm sur eyou know with all the things you have tried, just reccomendations for taking the edge off. Have you seen the red capes from America for dogs who are scared of storms because they feel the pressure changes in the air?

Thanks for that BC Crazy. Sounds hopeful.

I am afraid we are way beyond supplements SAS but I will bear it in mind if any of my others ever show signs of stress. This is not mild anxiety/stress, it is soooo much more and it is getting worse with age.

That's interesting BC, thank you :)

Stitch I take Xanax for my panic attacks and for Molly I use it in almost the same way. At the first sign of a storm, I shove 2 into her, then we assume her 'safe' position on the couch with me holding her firmly. For her and she is a 28ish kg GSD, it takes maybe 20-30 minutes to take effect and it seems to last for maybe 2-3 hours. She is only 3 and never had this type of fear but now any loud noise sets her off.

I wish you both luck ((hugs))

Thanks for that BC Crazy. Sounds hopeful.

I am afraid we are way beyond supplements SAS but I will bear it in mind if any of my others ever show signs of stress. This is not mild anxiety/stress, it is soooo much more and it is getting worse with age.

Yeah I get that. I wish you all the best in finding a medication that works.

Interesting about Xanax - I gave it once to my dog and he ran around madly bumping into the furniture so I never tried it a second time. Perhaps valium might be a better choice for him - I am not against giving it a try. I don't understand people who are so zealous about not using medications even when it is obvious the dog is suffering badly - how could it make the situation worse?

There is supposed to be a storm this afternoon but our vet appointment is for tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me the dose for valium for a 8kg dog? as I always keep valium here in case of toads.

Stitch, Stella was 17kg when I started her on Kalma & she has 2mg a day but is also on Endep on a daily basis. I am no Vet but just going by he has said to me as I understand it, I would think 1mg maybe to start.

Just going by weight 8kg is just over half of 17 kg. You can always give her another 1/4 to 1/2 if she still hasn't chilled out at all after 1/2 hour or so. I was surprised actually as my Vet said to me to use the dosage as a

guideline as all dogs react differently.Like humans I guess. Some can take some thing's & it knocks them out & others it may hardly effect. Depends how strong minded they are. He also said it is trail & error to get the dose right

& not to panic if she goes a little bit unbalanced or wobbly in the legs. But that hasn't happened to us at all. Good luck with her in the storm Stitch. Hope it passes quickly for you both :)

Stella has Valium today as a subsitute cause my Vet is having trouble getting Kalma atm. Just out of curiosity, why do you have Valium for the toads?