Deaf And Blind Koolie

Exactly why I don't like Merle to Merle breeding, even if allowed.

Poor boy.

I'm sure there would be hope for him but it really would depend on the new home and how much work they're willing to do with him, and how much time they have, he couldn't go to someone who worked long hours and the like.

This is terribly sad but having owned an sbt who went blind and deaf in old age I actually didn't find it that much harder to manage her. I know that she would've already known commands, routines and her home environment but she did still come on walks and we even took her camping and she adjusted, with the aid of the other dogs as well as us. Maybe her other senses heightened? I know we touched, handled and physically assisted her more but it just didn't seem a major burden on our lives to do it.

This koolie dog wasn't pts because maybe the current owners did feel they could manage? Hopefully the dog has learnt some skills at it's current home and hopefully some canine skills are inherent. So given he exists I hope there is someone out there willing and able to take him on rather than see him pts. It is not his fault he was born like this and left to survive. I hate that some dogs suffer because of the failings of us humans.

Could someone send me the details/add for this dog? I've rehomed a deaf and blind dog before, and unless she was unique, they're really great dogs that are not so different. Barking tends to be an issue, but only if they're left alone or want you to find them. I'd be willing to help but might be too far away...

Found the add online, and it looks as though another rescue has already stepped in :)

UPDATE: WOW what an amazing response we have received for our beautiful pup, the caring nature of the doggy community is outstanding. Desperate for Love Dog Pound Rescue have taken on the overwhelming task of rehousing our Dice for us. He is still with us on the farm, but you need to contact Caitlin on [email protected] for re-homing enquiries. if you want specific personality queries, please feel free to contact us on the address's in the ad. Once again, thanks to everyone who has enquired, we have passed your details on to DFL.

Koolie Rescue does not take dogs as disabled as this because we cannot rehome him and cannot affford to be a dumping ground for other people's bad decisions. While we have in the past found homes for dogs who were blind or were deaf - nobody wants to take a dog who is both. He is the result of merle to merle breeding and possibly the whole litter were like this. If we take dogs like this it means we have to say no to a healthy dog in need whom we could potentially rehome. Also he is in West Australia and we have no foster carers over there - we are based on the Victoria NSW border.

Great to hear logic rather than emotion.