Looking For A Rescue

A little dog could be around an apartment 20 times while a big dog could still be contemplating whether to disturb himself or not.

:)

Yes, big or small, it's the activity level throughout the day. Size is not the determinant of that. I also like BK's take on 'mess making' & 'getting messed'. Says people have to work out their personal tolerance levels (same for general grooming needs). Applies to any pet dog, wherever.:

LONG EARS,WET BEARDS,AND FUZZY FEET

A Metrodog is exposed to all manner of dirt on his daily walks. Metrodogs with long ears and/or beards that drag on the sidewalk when they sniff or fuzzy feet that can track in the dirt when they come home require more maintenance to keep clean and tidy. Fastidious housekeepers may never be happy. Other people don’t give it a second thought. You just have to know your personal tolerance for that sort of thing.

Edited by mita

Consider too how much time the dog will be left alone in the apartment. Cavaliers are not a breed I would get if I worked long hours and it would be left alone - and I agree about poodles and separation anxiety. Perhaps they could have a look on the Pet Rescue site to see if anything appeals?

Body Corporates do often have an under 10kg rule as well.

Doggie Rescue in Sydney puts the label 'Apartment Friendly' on some of the dogs they have for adoption. It seems to be based on the observations of the foster-carer ...

I don't know what criteria those dogs have to fit to get labelled 'Apartment Friendly'.

Edited by mita

Despite being Terriers, I'd be confident with regular walking the westies would be fine in an apartment, particularly with a doggy door to a balcony.

My only worry would be they might disturb the neighbours with their daytime snoring! laugh.gif

It's all in the words folk, or lack of them.

All over the world, thousands of novice dog owners raise dogs in apartments. Provided that they do so with care and equip themselves with knowledge, apartment living is no reason to deny a new dog owner ownership. The key issues to think through are exercise, toileting and stimulation while the owners are at work

There is at least one book on raising dogs in apartments. I suggest your friends read up and select for quieter, low activity breeds. To be quite frank a French Bulldog isn't the silliest suggestion I can think of.

Option B, rather than a pup, is a mature dog. And dare I say it, a rescue Greyhound might fit the bill. You don't have to be small to fit in well to apartment life.

Totally agree with this.

I know lots of people that have relatively high energy breeds in apartments successfully.

I have had 2 working breed dogs (an aussie shepherd and a labrador) as well as a SWF in townhouses with small courtyards/yards and it was the SWF that was the hardest to manage.

Both my aussie and my lab have lived in houses with small yards and huge yards with absolutely no issues. I actually find it more effort to provide my dog with stimulation when there is a large yard as you can get lazy and just play with them in the yard rather than make the effort to take them out. With no yards, there is no choice but to take them out.

It is easier to rent with smaller dogs so I can understand why they are leaning towards a smaller dog, but remember that small doesn't always equal lower energy!

I like the suggestion of a greyhound but they don't appeal to everyone and off leash exercise can be a bit of an issue with them.

I really like cavaliers they seem to have modest exercise requirements but at the same time, most are very capable of doing dog sports and going for long walks if thats what you feel like. I've heard they shed a lot though.

A Bichon might also appeal if they like the fluffy dog look- I know of several who live in apartments happily.

Thank you everyone so so sooo much for your suggestions, it has been very helpful, I am terrible with small breeds and breeds which need more than a bath and a weekly brush I am so lucky with my guys they don't require much but I know the common misunderstanding that small dogs are low maintenance which can be far from the truth.

I am off to contact Varicool and see what more I can find out. :)

We lived in an apartment up until last week and we were considering a puppy there, I just had a nagging reservation, it would have been a lot more work than being in a house. A huge undertaking, I can see how possible it is and how well it can work, but we decided we didn't want to chance messing it up, the margin for error was giant.

I'm sure with more people that makes the job easier, but there's a lot to consider.

I just think that if you were on the top floor and couldn't go down to let the dog eliminate then the dog may need to use a litter type thing on the balcony or in the bathroom/ laundry, people can make it work and these two seem very committed I have spoken to him about "what if it gets to much" and his response was "I have never returned a dog or let one go for convenience, if the apartment doesn't work then it will just have to go"