Why Are Shows Doing Best In Group 1, 2, 3, 4

teddywaddy

Just curious why are shows followng the international way of only awarding best in Group 1 2 3 4 and puppy & baby in groups - Do we not live in Australia?? Do Minor, Juniors, Intermediates & Austbreds not deserve an award for their classes in Group??

I personally will not be entering any shows that have this format other than the Royals, e.g. was going to enter Bulla Autumn & now will be entering NSW shows....

Curious about your opinions!!

Edited by teddywaddy

I have only seen this occur in the bigger shows, ie. Sydney and Melbourne Royal's come to mind. I can think of one glaringly obvious reason for this at these two shows, space. Can you imagine fitting not only your Best of Breed and Puppy of Breed winners into the benching area, but also all Runner up BOB, all class winners in every breed etc etc... :eek: :eek:

I've not seen it commonly though and don't have a problem with it.

I don't mind at set shows.

I have flown over for the Bulla shows with competitive adults & placed due to this system other wise would have missed out.

I also like winning class in groups .

I would support a show if it had 1/4 & will be attending a number of shows east that do have this system & find it worth the expense i pay to fly the dogs ,grp 3/4 is still a good win & even those youngsters could get this spot & do

Coming from North America, I"m used to it and miss the chance at getting a minor group placement. It's All Or Nothing here with the current system, and it's easy for someone to claim they 'were run for group' but at the end of the day, if you don't do Runner Up, you're just part of the mob that walks out of the ring.

Class in groups are nice, but I wouldn't be crushed if they were dropped in favour of a four placement group awarding system. It's possible to still do class in groups, a bit harder for the stewards to sort out quickly, but it can be done....not much different than we do now...you get beaten directly or indirectly at the main group level, you're done....if not....do your class. I woudln't have to be hard.

Fair enough for the major metro shows but for the country shows where people travel long distances I think they should stick to the current system. I could pretty much guarantee that any small country show that tried it, would not have an entry the following year

Being in the UK, I find it odd that so many classes get group placements. At most of our champ shows it is just the BOB who go into group competition, a few ahows also do it for puppy, if there is a BPIS award too, and one champ show also includes the veterans.

I;m glad that only the BOB has to hang around waiting for the groups, especially when we have a few hours drive to get home!

Totally agree with the last two, I think it's a great idea.

Me too, personally I think Group 1 to 4 plus best puppy is all you need at all breeds shows, although class awards should definitely be offered at specialties.