Feeding Your Dog

alpha bet

Food costs about $7 a week for my 8 kilo girl. Mainly VAN roll and a chicken wing each night, a chicken frame once a week as main meal. Sardines are added to main meal once a week, a raw egg is added once a week.

Added to that is the cost of regular medications for heartworm prevention, worms, and fleas, plus immunisations.

To date we've had about 4 visits a year to the vet at a minimum cost of $150 per visit.

Until she was 18 months old I spent heaps on things like crates, beds, collars and leads, toys, rain wear, grooming needs etc. Hate to think what that added up to!

I get a 15kg bag of Nutro roughly once a fortnight - to feed 3 large dogs and one medium dog. Full price of the kibble at PetBarn is about $115 - but they often have 18kg bonus bags for that price, or a promo price that can be up to $30 off. sometimes I can get a bag at a wholesale price of $75.

My foster pups get Royal Canin Junior, and the rescue buys that - but if I run out before I go out to the rescue on the weekend, I'm happy to ante up for a bag myself.

T.

Guest donatella

I have no idea how much but not much at all. I feed VAN and roo mince as the main food but because they are fussy assholes I have to mix it up every few days so they get a Natures Gift tin each a few times a week (roo fillet or chicken) $1.09 each and I buy 10 a fortnight. They also get Taste of the Wild biscuits down at all times of the day in case they are hungry but a bag of this ($25) would last me about 3 months. They also get chicken tips a few times a week as their "raw bones".

They aren't food orientated at all.

I reckon i'd spend maybe $5 - $10 a week on them with all that.

4 adults & a pup

$45 per month on meat/chicken bodies/liver/heart/kidney/other stuff from the wholesale butcher so say $12 per week

$50 for a bag of Bonnie Working which lasts about 5 weeks so say $10 per week (sometimes is only $40, averages about $48-$50)

$30 per month for 4x2 biscuits so $7.50 per week

$3 per week for a dog roll.

The pup gets a really meaty bone each day - $3 per bag for a week's worth & is currently eating some puppy dry food his half sister won for him (usually about $45 per bag) but I wouldn't buy this normally, so if I didn't have this add another $25 for a small bag of some other dry to ramp up the Bonnie for the pup, which would last him the whole time he's getting 'extras'

$3 for a dozen eggs which lasts 2 weeks

$5 per week for a can of sardines each

Say $40-$45 per week for them all.

Pauls premium kibble at $25 for an 18kg bag (meat as main ingredient and nothing artificial which is 1 bag per 3 weeks in winter and 1 per 4 weeks in summer. Approximately 100gm of wet food a day at an average of $1 a day - eggs, sardines, dog roll, meat etc;. I also go through 1 10kg bag of winning edge 2 x 2 biscuits every 2 months which is similar to Box 1 but cheaper.

So for 3 dogs approximately $15 a week in winter & $17 in summer.

ETA

Heartworm is valueheart bought on special normally for about $18 for 6 tablets. Worming is a tablet the same as drontal but costing $1 per tablet to do a 10kg dog. Flea treatment is the same chemical as advantage but costs $1 per dog per dose.

My dogs are all in the 20 = 25kg range

If I wasn't currently so poor my feed of choice would be VAN as for the short time I fed it the dogs looked superb.

Edited by Janba

I don't spend much on food. Mine gets fed a mix of raw and homecooked because he prefers variety in his meals. He has TOTW kibbles that would last 3-5 months since he's not big on kibbles but likes them occasionally. He is fed any meat (chicken/beef/pork/fish) we have on the fridge and I get chicken frames for free from my butcher. He gets a chicken stick treat when he's home alone. Also cottage cheese, eggs, fruits sometimes yoghurt.

I spent a lot initially as I didn't have any dog previously and bought many tools, kong toys, soft toys, treats, etc. He was also sick a few times and didn't have insurance at that time, so I had vets and medicine costs. Now, he's on Petplan insurance ($45/mo). I haven't calculated for March & April yet but in the first 8 months, it costs me about $2.7K. Right now, thank dog, my expense has stabilised significantly. I spend on food, treats and insurance (and recently stocked up on winter clothing) with occasional big expenses, like grooming and doggy door.

I think I roughly spend $70 per month for my 3 small toy dogs, mix of raw chicken necks, carcasses, dry kibble every now and then (3kg bag will last 3 months lol) I buy turkey mince and pet mince also, cans of sardines and ricotta cheese, marrow bones and lamb off cuts.

I do make sure I keep it stable and dont change it very often but mostly mince and bones. Another reason I like smaller dogs! Hehe they could deffinantly eat alot more if I let them. :-)