What Would Your Dog Do?

Blackdogs

I've enjoyed reading this thread and thought I'd mention mine too.

My family golden retriever when I was young was probably the best guard dog I'll ever have. Besides the fact he had a very loud, deep, bark that always scared the post man, he had an extreme protective streak when it came to my brother and I. My brother was 10 and I was just born when we got him, so he grew up with me and my brother. He barked at everyone, including us coming to the front door (didn't have a good view, could only hear people walking), but would always turn to happy greetings once the people were welcomed in.

However, I learned from my mother, he was super protective whenever they would leave me alone with my brother. He would not let anyone into the house while we were alone, would growl and stand in the door way even with known relations like aunts and uncles. He'd be like that till my parents came home. One time my Nana came to stay with just me and he went into super protective mode again, always laying next to me, sleeping in my doorway at night, and following me around the house. Apparently my Nana wasn't very good protection.

Once I also accidentally got his guard up while playing with a friend and jokingly calling to him for help. He immediately stood and started growling, it scared us both to death. He settled down at once when I told him things were fine, but I always felt safe with him around. He passed away when I was 15, still miss him 10 years later.

My current dog is some cattle dog and she's a very good alert barker (sometimes too good) but only if we're home. Her protectiveness is obviously linked to us and not the house. I don't think she'd do much if people broke in while we were gone, probably be scared more than anything. However, if we were home she would guard us to the point of physical confrontation if she thought it was necessary, I'm pretty sure. Hopefully her bark and how rather frightening she looks with her hackles up would be enough to scare anyone away before it got to that stage. Always feel safe with a dog around, that's for sure.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 Standard Poodles.....don't need a doorbell here!

If anybody was confrontational with anyone in the family I have no doubt my dogs would response.

I always feel safe with the dogs around.

Bit O/T, but I saw a Standard Poodle step in & do this in an unusual way. At Million Paws Walk we were sitting next to people who had a p/b Standard Poodle. He was lovely, confident with people & strange dogs walking by & happy about our little Tibbie girls sitting close by.

A strange dog came by (on leash) & wanted to stir up the little dogs (for play, not aggressive). When they didn't respond, the dog took to barking at them. To all our amazement, the Standard Poodle jumped in front of the Tibbies & gave a very business-like bark.... that clearly said, 'Leave the little ladies alone, buster!'

People around were so touched .... someone said there's chivalry in the dog world. :)

Edited by mita

One night some years ago I awoke screaming, very loudly. The two little girls who were sleeping with us on the bed (a chi and a pom), immediately jumped off and went and hid under it :laugh: .

The two larger dogs (a GSD and a cattle dog), immediately lept up from their beds on the floor onto our bed to see what all the commotion was about. Our GSD, sadly now passed, I believe would have protected us with his life. He loved people, but was the self-appointed guard dog around here. I miss him badly.

One time when we were camping out in the bush in just our swags, with the dogs beside us on their beds, a roo or something walked into camp and Tux woke straight away, hackles raised and barked. I'm not sure how he'd go with actual confrontation, but it makes me feel safer he may intimidate them.

my BCx would alert bark regardless of whether people were home or not, I do not think he has the physical confidence to take direct action though, I suspect he would be extremely anxious if I were threatened but I doubt he would bite - growl maybe.

My other dog has the typical staffy attitude of 'a stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet - especially if they might give me food', she doesn't alert bark and I have no idea if she would react at all if I were threatened, maybe she would surprise me?

The dogs I grew up with were a different kettle of fish, one was a rescue bully x ACD former pig hunting dog and was very protective of all the family, other dogs included - but would take action against a perceived threat in total silence. The other was a GSD, highly adaptable in his approach, he was a very special boy (and took his responsibilities very seriously). I have no doubt that those dogs would have not hesitated to protect me against any threat.

Good thread, Obviously i have a staffy someone entering the house for my fella is normal he go's to daycare two day's a week and they have a key so they let themselves in, they always comment how hard it is to get him out of bed.

At night he does seem a little more alert he has let of a pritty deep growl and bark a couple of times when there have been drunks out the front.

As far a physicaly protecting me probably not i have always tried to teach him to look to me for direction in stressful situations and to let me take care of it.

We were charged by a boxer out on a walk one day it knocked diesel flying and turned and growled at me i let go of my boys lead to alow him to get away while i tryed to control the dog . He simply took a couple steps back and watched the situation i was able to control the boxer for long enough for the owner to arrive and take it inside. He came back over to me when called and i was happy with that, never wantd a guard or protection dog. He just doesnt seem to have it in him but you never know i geuss.

My golden retriever boy would grab his squeaky toy and growl while wagging his body. My Girl would run up and sit at their feet with squinty eyes waiting to be pat.

Wouldn't matter the circumstances.