Bitch With Sagging Breasts :-)

PooMother

Hi Everyone

I was hoping someone may be able to tell me how long it should take for my border collie bitch to get her pre whelping breasts/nipples back please?

This was her (and my) first litter

My girl whelped 6 months ago (6 puppies) and she is still very saggy, as in you can see them below the hair line/

Is there anything I should / should not be doing?

Many thanks

Have bred GSD in the past and nowdays Aussie Sheps all in all 18 litters.

Never had any not tuck up - however we have them active during pregnancy and whilst whelping including running and even swimming in the dam, we just clean and let them dry - not locked away in a whelping room.

I know that many breeders tend to pamper their pregnant bitches but dogs love to have fun and I have not had problems with them giving birth or having issues with their pups.

Currently have an 8yo aussie who just had her fourth and last litter 12 weeks ago and she is just about fully tucked up already - my other girl has just had her 3rd litter 9x3 week old pups and very little drag on her teats. The only problem we have is about a month or so after pups go home the bitches loose their coat and look pretty tatty, but we push plenty of food into them to get their weight back to normal and then their coats always come back and look fabulous again.

We start feeding pups at 3 weeks and by 3.5 weeks they will get 3 meals a day, which means the mum starts to reduce the amount of time they are feeding on her. She will continue to feed lightly till about 7 weeks as this keeps the pups immune system up and running.

She is a border collie so an active breed - Perhaps you need to make sure she is getting plenty of free running time... a chance to run and stretch out naturally.... up and down hills to help her strengthen her muscles - she may still tuck up even now.

My advice is that for your next litter ensure you keep her exercising regular during pregnancy and make sure you suppliment feed plenty as well as making sure your girl has lots of time away from pups.

post-23842-0-97117400-1366897499_thumb.jpg Keeda when pups were 7 weeks old - pups now 12 weeks old and she has dropped her coat and some weight.

post-23842-0-79994100-1366897483_thumb.jpg This is giget (the one with the basketball in her mouth) she had her pups 5 days after this photo.

Edited by alpha bet

Normally they spring back up by the time the puppies are about 10 weeks and some of mine have never even looked like they had milk, despite feeding litters with no problems. I always rub the mammary area with vinegar as soon as the puppies are fully weaned. No idea if it really helps but is an old breeders remedy. The only ones I have seen not bounce back where closely related but not to your girl. The breeder used to put them in snug lycra swimsuits cut to fit around doggy bits like the tail. You could give it a try but it might be too late.

I've got 2 Fauve bitches here, one had 4 pups, one had 2. Both had identical food, exercise during & after pregnancy. One bitch has sprung right back up after 12 months, the other after 18 months is still saggy. I, from my enormous experience :D have decided that dogs are like humans - some go back into shape quickly, others will never be quite the same again. :laugh:

My GSP still was very active during her pregnancy and after the pups arrived. Her front have tucked up (although the nipples are larger of course) and the back ones between her legs are still somewhat saggy. I agree with Trisven, seems some spring back and others don't!