Dog Basher Locked Up For 6 Months

Steve

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-26/dog-cruelty-sentencing/4653306

A man who bashed a dog with a pole and suspended it on a clothesline has been jailed for animal cruelty offences.

Hally Jade James French, 21, pleaded guilty to ill treatment of an animal and causing serious harm.

The Adelaide Magistrates Court heard he used a pole to repeatedly hit a Jack Russell cross named Buddy, then put the dog on a clothesline and struck it again.

The court was told a neighbour heard the dog yelping and saw the attack from over the fence.

When police and RSPCA inspectors arrived the dog was lying motionless in a pool of blood and was taken to an emergency vet clinic in a critical condition.

The dog suffered rib fractures and head trauma as well as shock and stress, but made a full recovery.

The court heard French suffered post traumatic stress syndrome as a result of his disadvantaged and traumatic childhood, and could not cope with the dog when it was in his care.

Magistrate Paul Foley imposed a three-month jail sentence for the violent crimes.

"This serious offending involved violence towards a defenceless animal who you were charged with looking after at the time," Magistrate Foley said.

"While I have sympathy for your position I take the view that on this occasion there is no basis for me to suspend that term of imprisonment. I will require you to serve that sentence."

He also revoked a three-month suspended sentence for an assault on a taxi driver, as French had breached a good behaviour bond for that offence by committing the animal cruelty crimes.

He was therefore ordered to spend a total of six months imprisonment.

Outside court RSPCA inspector Simon Richards welcomed the sentence.

"It's a good result, it's very much a positive step forward. It was a heinous crime against this little Jack Russell, it's what we were pursuing and we got the result we wanted," he said.

“It does send a signal that the community takes animal welfare seriously and we will be there to ensure that's upheld.

"It's an extraordinarily lucky story for the dog, I mean clearly it's sad that he had to go through this but the fact that we were able to get there in a timely fashion and provide the treatment ultimately resulted in the dog making a full recovery."

Mr Richards said Buddy has since been given a new home.

"I can tell you he's happy, healthy and living a happy life," he said.

Magistrate Foley banned French from having custody of any animal until further order.

This is the type of person that really scares me. Well done to the magistrate, but it sounds like this person will be a continued high risk of repeated violence to both animals and people.

I'm with you on that. I hope he will get some intensive treatment in prison, he has serious anger management issues.

You cannot blame everything on your parents' divorce, single parents, drug taking parents or poverty and be let off - happens far too often.

Magistrate Foley banned French from having custody of any animal until further order.

"Foley should be placed into protective custody when he is released."

Absolutely attrocious behaviour that is inexcusable.

Nobody that 'mad' should be out walking around our streets anyway.

I'm sick of people using the excuse they had a bad childhood, as a defence for crimes. :mad

I had a totally crap childhood, but I don't go around bashing people or animals, in fact the opposite. It made me love animals because of the unconditional love they give you, I'm not so impressed with humans though. :rofl:

I too can't come to terms with the idea that an abusive childhood results in the need to perpetuate violence on others - human or animal. I abhor violence for that very reason. And to find rope and take the time to tie an animal to a clothes line so you can beat it like a piñata shows some level of conscious decision making was happening to me. He needs help while he is in prison.

OT but linked - my sister told me a story of someone who has endured years of domestic violence and her partner recently found out he suffered a serious health issue and has blamed the pain of his (previously) undiagnosed condition as the reason he was violent to her. She believes him. Sure, I could imagine a person being grumpy and anti-social in response to continual physical pain. I can even imagine some shouting/yelling when it all gets too much, but violence? How does hurting someone or something innocent make your physical or even psychological pain feel better? Even if you have actual mental health issues and black out or disconnect during the abuse then it doesn't and once cognisant again the person is likely to feel even more traumatised by what they have done.

Violence against an innocent party is just an excuse for unacceptable behaviour that needs to be learned to be controlled or you don't get to be free in our communities.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I'm sick of people using the excuse they had a bad childhood, as a defence for crimes. :mad

I had a totally crap childhood, but I don't go around bashing people or animals, in fact the opposite. It made me love animals because of the unconditional love they give you, I'm not so impressed with humans though. :rofl:

Me too... It's total bullshit. My late partner had an abusive childhood and he was the most loving, forgiving, compassionate person I have ever met.

When I worked in Juvenile Justice we had one 16 year old in who had among other things buried a litter of kittens up to their necks and cut off their heads with a lawn mower .He went on to murder - charming little bastard. Why - who cares - everyone has a story we just dont all use them as excuses for being disgusting human beings.