Oscar's Law

Sares

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So people from Oscar's law stole peoples animals? I am assuming from an apparent puppy farm? *confused*

Confused about what exactly? Do you really think it's acceptable in our society for non authorised people to break into properties under the cover of darkness, take footage without consent, uplift animals and then splice the footage for maximum public outrage?

And you referred to Oscars Law as 'it'. I assume you think the Law in the name pertains to legislation? It does not. Oscar's Law is a 'them'. It's an animal rights group.

Maybe if you're confused you should do a search on the forum for all the other threads about it.

So people from Oscar's law stole peoples animals? I am assuming from an apparent puppy farm? *confused*

Confused about what exactly? Do you really think it's acceptable in our society for non authorised people to break into properties under the cover of darkness, take footage without consent, uplift animals and then splice the footage for maximum public outrage?

And you referred to Oscars Law as 'it'. I assume you think the Law in the name pertains to legislation? It does not. Oscar's Law is a 'them'. It's an animal rights group.

Maybe if you're confused you should do a search on the forum for all the other threads about it.

Thats exactly what I am asking, your comment didnt give much information so was confirming if that was what 'they' did as you were not specific. I was asking WHAT they did... You explained it a little bit more in your last post but when did this happen? who did they show to the footage to? was it shown on TV?

I DID do a search before I made the post and there was nothing that answered my question, just vauge comments saying people wouldnt support 'them'.. I was curious as to why.

People are obviously passionate about not supporting them on something I would have thought a dog forum would have been supportive of. SORRY FOR ASKING!! SHEESH!

Edited by Sares

If you can't find much information and we are telling that one reason people don't support them is lack of information what is that telling you?

Its telling me that people havent PREVIOUSLY said WHY they wont support them.

I'll be following this thread simply because of the lack of information Oscars law has. If someone know's something more about what they want that would be good to know!

Maybe you should ask the Oscar's Law people? They should be happy to tell you what they are about, surely?

I'll be following this thread simply because of the lack of information Oscars law has. If someone know's something more about what they want that would be good to know!

Maybe you should ask the Oscar's Law people? They should be happy to tell you what they are about, surely?

LOL. Yes just ask on facebook and see how fast your questions get deleted.

I'll try again, you said you haven't been able to find out much about them, this is one reason people don't like them now, not enough information. Can't support something if you don't know what you are supporting.

I didnt say I havent found much information about them, I said I barely scratched the surface. Meaning I havent done 'extensive' research into the finer details of their organisation and that my understanding was their aim was to abolish puppy farms. No need to patronise.

I was being tongue in cheek ;)

I was being tongue in cheek ;)

I know, max. So was I LOL

The actual Oscar itself was stolen from a puppy farm originally, so no reason to be confused - their origins are based on supporting the trespass and theft of animals, but that is OK as far as they are concerned, if they percieve that the animals are better off with them.

They are actually recruiting at the moment for more deluded people to spread the word - this is taken from their advocate information sheet - sounds awfully cult-like to me, esp the bit about them wanting 1 in 100 people Australia wide to have attended a speech by them within 10 years

"OLAP aims to provide 50 grassroots advocates from around Australia with the tools, knowledge, leadership, access and networks necessary to promote the realisation of animal welfare and strengthen their respective community’s awareness of factory and companion animal farming practices.

OLAP’s comprehensive program of advocacy, networking, presentation skills-building, and academic coursework provides advocates the opportunity to hone practical skills, develop a deeper understanding of animal welfare, and foster mutually beneficial relationships with organisations and individuals in their respective fields and beyond.

In the wake of public concern of puppy factories, a variety of trainers, including Oscars Law founder Debra Tranter, will train volunteer advocates to deliver an Oscar’s Law presentation, which expands to include animal protection and enforcement, the promotion of rescue shelters and ethical consumer choices. OLAP graduates will then go on to make presentations to their peers – becoming ordinary Australians inspiring extraordinary change. Strikingly, from commencement one of the core aims of the program is to meet a ratio of one in 100 Australians attending an animal rights presentation by an Oscars Law Advocate within the next 10 years."

Just waffle and fluff, no real substance or facts

And more emotive rubbish

"Factory farmed dogs get no veterinary intervention when they need respite from their pain and suffering. They live in filth, sometimes without adequate food or water. Their coats are often matted with faeces and stained with urine. Ear infections and ear mite infestations are common as is painful dental and gum disease.

Many dogs slowly go insane. They spin in circles or pace back and forth in their cells, some never see daylight, and the outside world is a foreign place to them. Should any dogs be lucky enough to be rescued once outside in the open they still circle and pace as if they are still incarcerated. They shy away from human hands as they have never known kindness. The dogs are deprived of even their basic needs as the current law is only concerned with food shelter and water. The dog’s psychological and social needs are ignored on factory farms.'

"Breeding dogs are kept in large dirt pens surrounded by electric fencing wire to stop them escaping, the same way farmers keep cattle. Some factory farms keep their dogs hidden away in large tin sheds with rows and rows of concrete stalls, the same way farmers keep pigs. Whilst other dogs are kept inside sheds in rows of raised wire floor cages just like egg producers keep battery hens. Puppy factories and backyard breeders can have 30-40 dogs and some have up to up to 700 animals on one property. The dogs are kept in these horrific conditions for their entire lives and are constantly bred to supply pet shops and internet sites with cute fluffy puppies. Once the breeding dogs are no longer profitable, and after years of confinement and continual pregnancy they are taken out of their cages, pens and sheds and they are killed. Our best friends forgotten.

This large scale extreme cruelty that takes place day after miserable day in the name of commerce. Puppy factory farmers, pet shops, puppy brokers, veterinarians, advertisers and even the Government all take their blood money from this horrendous cruelty. The puppy buying public are misled at every turn and picture the tiny pup they have just purchased has come from a loving environment — when nothing could be further from the truth."

and then

"Every day in Australia a dog is killed every 4 minutes in Council run pounds. We, the tax payer, are paying local Government to kill healthy dogs, dogs who just need a home. Meanwhile Local Governments are issuing more and more permits to puppy factory farmers to breed more and more dogs. Local Government are failing to properly inspect these puppy factories or enforce the mandatory Code of Practice.

The State Government tell us "Pet Registration - Value for your dollar. Every dog and cat three months of age and over must be registered with your local council" They then tell us "What you get for your registration fees". It includes the following "Council monitoring of pet shops, boarding kennels, catteries, pounds, shelters, and pet breeding and training businesses. This ensures they meet basic animal welfare standards required by law”. So why aren't

Oscar’s Law Advocates Program Page | 5

local councils enforcing the mandatory code of practice? What are they doing with our money?

This is an absolute misuse of public funds as Local and State Governments have failed to use this money to enforce the law both at puppy factories and back yard breeders and consequently the breeding dogs are suffering. How totally irresponsible it is to allow the mass production and then the mass killing of companion animals. How effective is the Governments Responsible Pet Program which is financed by you — the tax payer.

Oscar’s Law will change the way that animals are kept, bred and sold.

OLAP Overview

After completing the intensive two day program, Advocates will be able to more effectively lobby for the causes and address the animal welfare concerns within their schools, universities and communities. The comparative advantages of the Oscar’s Law Advocates Program are its:

• Comprehensive program of skills-building, networking, advocacy, and academic coursework.

• Emphasis on individual and organisational awareness building.

• Affiliation with Victoria University and its location in Melbourne.

Advocate Tools

Each Advocate will receive the following tools necessary to delivery their Oscars Law presentations.

• USB containing Oscars Law Animal Advocate approved Power Point Presentation (including the pre school, high school and adult versions)

• Oscars Law Animal Advocate Name Badge

• Oscars Law Animal Advocate Satchel

• Oscars Law Animal Advocate Training Manual

• Oscars Law Pen

• Oscars Law Animal Advocate Cap

• Oscars Law Animal Advocate Accreditation."

No one mention of the source of the statistics, no facts to back it up, just emotive garbage, and the fact that even all the stuff they are giving their disciples is all prepared, in 3 different versions, for them to go forth and spread the word, without 1 statement as to how exactly they are going to achieve any of this, other I guess than by their goal of getting rid of any breeders at all. The Law of which they speak is a furphy.

Oh, but of course, it is still perfectly OK to have animals in pet shops though if they are rescue dogs, just not ones from breeders of any kind.

Totally do not support this group at all, but know many misguided breeders who have stupidly fallen for their spiel, thinking if they align themselves with them, that their supporters will distinguish between the evil puppy mills, and themselves.

Well if you didn't keep asking the same question when it's been answered multiple then you might not get less than diplomatic answers. I'd still like you to go to FB and ask some questions so you can get banned and see for yourself :laugh:

I wasnt asking the same question.

I knew I would somehow get blasted for posting this thread...I was asking some innocent questions out of curiousity and get patronised for it.

Well if you didn't keep asking the same question when it's been answered multiple then you might not get less than diplomatic answers. I'd still like you to go to FB and ask some questions so you can get banned and see for yourself :laugh:

I wasnt asking the same question.

I knew I would somehow get blasted for posting this thread...I was asking some innocent questions out of curiousity and get patronised for it.

Call it preparation for asking Oscar's Law to actually explain what they do and what their "law" is :laugh:

Edited by minimax

Trust me, you haven't been blasted :laugh: You kept asking why people weren't supporting them even after you were told. But you are all enlightened now :thumbsup:

There is a reason many refer to it as Oscar's Flaw.

Trust me, you haven't been blasted :laugh: You kept asking why people weren't supporting them even after you were told. But you are all enlightened now :thumbsup:

I know people answered my question, but I replied with more questions..

Thanks for your replies. :)