Very Thick Coat On English Cocker

Hi just wondering how people keep there cockers is good coat condition

I feel terrible, did not get to brush our girl for 2 days (was not well) and she had 2 matts

one under her arm and the other along her tummy, she has a very thick coat

do people thin the hair under there arms

finaly worked out that lifting up her paw and brushing under her arm is not enough

I have to lay her on her back to get under her properly

any hints or knowledge to do with a cocker coat care would be greatly appreciated

post-32672-0-90200700-1367367685_thumb.jpg

Invest in some good quality thinning scissors, and use them on the heavier areas but from the underneath of the coat. Use a long pinned slicker after each 2-3 cuts with the thinners. and has been said, clip out the parts that cannot be seen, especially underarms and inner legs.

I second the thinning scissors - I bought a single sided pair and trim Em's paws, feathering on the hock, feathering up to her "wrists" and tail. So easy to use and it doesn't look like someone with no idea (i.e. me!) has done it. My ESS does not have a long or thick coat but she does train/trial in some pretty nasty prickles etc. She looks really neat and tidy but still has the pretty coat that I love.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Don't use thinners it wont do what you are planning.

Thinning coat cuts it in varying lengths meaning when the coat regrows the shorter bits knot quicker into the longer areas & if you decide to regrow it latter on it just doesn't happen over night.

Providing you are using the right tools for brushing maintaining a nice coat is very easy.

You can certainly trim out under the arm pits so it isn't noticable & we do this wih all the cockers we groom although you don't have to .

It comes down to brushing technique & what you are using .

Thinners can be an option but they come with consequences & you need to be aware of what they do & what affect on the coat they have

Don't use thinners it wont do what you are planning.

Thinning coat cuts it in varying lengths meaning when the coat regrows the shorter bits knot quicker into the longer areas & if you decide to regrow it latter on it just doesn't happen over night.

Providing you are using the right tools for brushing maintaining a nice coat is very easy.

You can certainly trim out under the arm pits so it isn't noticable & we do this wih all the cockers we groom although you don't have to .

It comes down to brushing technique & what you are using .

Thinners can be an option but they come with consequences & you need to be aware of what they do & what affect on the coat they have

thanks! what are the right tools?

Looking athe photo her coat is n't thick but Cockers often have a course coat that feels heavier.

A good brush,comb & slicker brush will do the job easily .regular brushing make work easier & as you say laying down or what ever method that works for you fro under arms .

Us show people don't clip out the under arms just brushing thoroughly .

Don't get me wrong Thinning scissors have there place but understanding what they do & how it leaves the coat is important

The right tools are good quality double sided thinning scissors and agood quality long pinned slicker. Look for a flexible slicker. Ask your breeder to show you how to use the thinners. No cocker owner should be without them.

Totally agree with show dog!

The dogs i have groomed that have been thinned are the ones that knot up faster the next time around.

Section up the coat, so when you brush you are going from root to tip and only a small enough section that the brush/comb will easily go through the whole of the section, so the brush isn;t just skimming the surface and missing the start of knots underneath.

Areas to watch are the underarms and inside back legs - both these can be clipped off in a pet dog without it showing when the dog is stood up. You can also clip the hair off from inside the ear leather, this will also have the benefit of more air flow into the ear canal to keep it healthier.

Tools - gentle slicker, deep tooth metal comb, small scissors to slice through any knots in the direction of hair growth so matt can be pulled apart and brushed out and also use to trim under the feet.

If you are not going to get your dog pro-groomed, then there are other tools for stripping the body coat.

Totally agree with show dog!

The dogs i have groomed that have been thinned are the ones that knot up faster the next time around.

I agree too. Step away from the thinning scissors. As a groomer I very rarely use them but notice on here that owners use them a lot. I suppose it doesnt really matter either way as IMO, it is whatever works best for the owner, but I have found that hairs swirl and knot when thinned on certain coats.

thanks for all the info it is very helpful

the breeder is in a different state and not very interested

I will persevere with the brushing, sectioning the hair sounds like a good idea (should have thought of that)

lol she chewed up the pin bush, but I have been useing a slicker bush and comb

this will be our first winter with her, lol wet feet and ears every morning

thanks again for the help, I love the look of her coat and want to do the best for her

post-32672-0-00220400-1367494903_thumb.jpg

It is always a pitfall that new owners encounter when they brush what they can see and don't get right down to the skin.

Definitely teach the dog to lay down to be brushed. On its side is fine, then you can line brush (you might like to google this but basically you brush the dog from the belly up or back down - whichever is easiest for you - in layers/lines and making sure that every piece of hair is brushed). Get yourself into a rhythm of "brush comb", brush first and then comb. The comb will uncover any bits of hair that you've inadvertently missed.

thanks for all the info it is very helpful

the breeder is in a different state and not very interested

I will persevere with the brushing, sectioning the hair sounds like a good idea (should have thought of that)

lol she chewed up the pin bush, but I have been useing a slicker bush and comb

this will be our first winter with her, lol wet feet and ears every morning

thanks again for the help, I love the look of her coat and want to do the best for her

Winter is the most important time to keep on top of brushing & especially between the toes if you are keeping the coat longer.Many owners never brush there & the matts that form are awful .This is a suitable area for thinners to be used if your grooming yourself .

Layer brushing although the way & above all feel ,your hands are the most important tool if you feel a knot deal with it ,it will take a few mins compared to the heartache latter on pplus the dog disliking being groomed.

Cockers are like moisture magnets in winter & there oats can knot & get smelly quickly so just keep up with the brushing & blow drying a damp coat is good as well .

But brushing more leads to less work