Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers

OK, still probably a lot lower than my kelpie and basset then I would imagine? At least being smaller a couple of those wouldn't take up the whole boot like the girls do now LOL

No breeds shed more than the short coated ones :eek:

It could be worse - you could have Pugs or JRTs.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So so the welsh and lakeland shed? The irish looks like it would shed?

To be honest any breeds sheds but some do it less to minimal.

Schnauzers for example in a stripped coat do shed if the coat isn't worked on because the coat dies & the new coat regrows so after a point it will fall out.

What you need to consider is whilst these breeds don't really shed the wiry coats when worked on falls out like crazy because that is how the dead coat come out .

So if you wished to maintain the harsher coat yourself you will get hair .

Compared to say a Wheaten ,when you brush it you get coat but not the work to keep it.

Schnauzers when clipped have a softer coat that doesn't shed compared to the traditional hand stripped coats .

Yor Fauve would have the same style of coat as the Irish where very easy to keep but you would need to work on it so that part could affect you ??

Having said that we breed Mini Schnauzers & some people are allergic to them so whilst breeds are listed as non shedding it doesn't guarantee they will still be suitable .

We get some that come out who are reactive to poodles coat & not minis & it occurs with other breeds .

The Asthma foundation use to recoomend certain breeds until it was obvious it was no guarantee .

I don't actually get asthma from the dogs themselves it just seems to be if the fur is all over the place, so it's more a matter of not having fur all over the carseats, etc I prefer the softer coat and no matter what I had it would most likely be clipped fairly short to help guard against ticks.

If you're really keen on the idea of terriers, there are so many that could suit your lifestyle. Norwich Terriers are on my 'to own one day' list and I'll never be without an Aussie. Aussies are generally only around the 6 to 10 kilo mark, so smaller than you're looking at, however, they are big in personality and toughness. People often assume that because they're small, that they are fragile or delicate and get quite the surprise when they see just how rough and tumble they are.

Neither the Aussie nor Norwich Terriers shed and hand stripping is required.

As far as price goes, Aussies are around the $750 to $900 mark whereas the Norwich Terriers are around $2000+. Norwich Terriers have small litters of around 3 puppies and they are not at all a common breed here in Australia.

Aussies are also a very hardy breed with very few, if any, health issues. They are fantastic with kids (Poochie grew up with 5 kids ranging from 4 to 12 years) and love being with other dogs too. Of course they are still a terrier so I doubt you'd fully be able to trust them around your chickens, however, they can be taught to coexist with cats -- Poochie was the 'Otis' to our cat Calypso's 'Milo'.

Aussies can also be quite stubborn, so a firm hand is needed -- you need to have them understand that you're the boss, not them. They really are a delightful breed to have around and I can never sing their praises enough; in fact I wish everyone knew about them!

I have owned a beautiful Standard Poodle who I lost suddenly to cancer at the age of 13 years. They are a beautiful breed and unfortunately get judged by their looks most of the time and people think of them in the show clips and assume they are fragile, snobs or not a 'mans dog' - I had a lot of people mention these exact things to me when I told them I owned a poodle but then those who met her, quickly changed their minds and couldn't believe what a robust, fun and solid dog she was! The only down side is the grooming and in your situation it might be a bit difficult having a breed that requires so much grooming because unless you are willing to spend hours upon hours clipping yourself (which I did) then you would need to pay for them to be clipped at least every 6 weeks… I can imagine all the dirt and sticks etc that would get caught in their coat… or any long haired breed for that matter.

I now have a Hungarian Vizsla (gundog) and they only have a single coat, shed very very minimal coat (Have been known to be hypoallergenic or suitable for people with allergies), no dog odour and are drip dry. They are medium sized, quiet, clowns and FULL of energy so would love bushwalking or running around on a farm however, have high prey drive being a hunt/point/retrieve breed so may not fair well with chickens etc. I would certainly not recommend this breed for everyone though as many cannot handle their energy levels and their NEED to be with their owners whenever possible. They are called the 'Velcro Vizsla' and will follow you into the shower if you let them! Anyway, maybe a gundog would suit your situation? Whichever breed it sounds like a great lifestyle for any dog on your property! Good lucksmile.gif

What about a Bedlington Terrier..? Not sure if they would be ok around chooks but it can get down to the individual dogs temperament and training.

I don't know what shedding is like with the Wire haired Fox Terrier but their size may suit you...

Just read this thread, lakelands are great dogs but I don't think you could keep them safely around chooks or any other small animal.

No, I'd agree with you - don't think any terrier would be good with chooks.

My neighbour's chooks are on the other side of a wire fence and mine watch them with great interest!