Fattening Up My Gsd's

Tazar

Hi,

My GSD's are lean, they get loads of self instigated exercise and are both at least couple of kilos too lean and I would like to fatten them up a bit over the winter. I know they are best lean but it is so cold where we live.

Their current diet is Black Hawk dry about 7-8 cups, bones daily, couple of eggs 2-3 time a week, tin of sardines 4-5 times a week, each.

Tonight I cooked them up rice and mixed it all in and they ate it so I could keep doing that but thought I would see if anyone else has any ideas.

Found Black Hawk useless to maintain weight .

With large dogs i wouldn't want to feed that many cups of dry anyway.

Not all GSD tolerate meats but you need to add more bulk & maybe look at a dry more known for good weight.

Royal Canin 3600 energy is excellent in weight gain .

Add raw meat & other stuff.

Sardines eggs & rice aren't going to help with weight

Ok, will try another dry. I think 7-8 cups is too much too. Sardines and eggs are good for them though aren't they??

And will add in porridge :)

Edited by Tazar

Wow thats a huge amount of kibble, i would change it too.

sardines and eggs are good for coat.

what others said add some raw meat if they tolerate it, and change the kibble.

My guess is that the Black Hawk, at 17% fat, is simply too low in fat.

Switch to a "performance" food in any of the better brands. I'd be going for anything 20% fat or better. The higher fat Royal Canins tend to be popular with those with dogs with very high energy requirements.

Some lamb flaps and perhaps even something like organic coconut oil might help.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

They sleep in crate-a-la-Hilton, doona's inside, blanket wrapped around the outside then crate covers, tarps over the top of all of that, oh and cardboard between the crate tray and the bottom of the cage. They have coats on too, one of them has a double coat on, Sherpa lined (and I thought I was being ridiculous).

It is not freezing but has been getting down to 5 degrees over night.

Just changed the order to Advance :)

They are off the ground Juice, on the porch. Microwave pads sound good.

Looking at the bigger picture, should GSD's need heated beds?? Hey if the answer is yes then I will order some tomorrow, any suggestions on brands, where I should get them from?

(my newest addition, a foster I could not let go, Lab x mastiff from central NSW, must be bloody freezing)

I ditched Black Hawk a while ago found my gsd was dropping condition on it since the new packaging changed, he's now on TOTW and his condition is back, when I want to fatten him up a bit I give him warm oats and honey mixed with his kibble and more meaty stuff ie lamb flaps, lambs necks and lamb shanks :)

Dogs need meat mixed in. I feed mine on Advance Active and it's very good for putting on weight and keeping condition....

7-8 cups a day of dry is so much, I have heard Black Hark quality has changed too....