Price Of Whippets?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a Whippet but what the hell - the biggest sighthound.... clearly intimidated by the 15 year old Miniature Poodle behind him ....

Yes, the poodle's jaw IS dropping :dropjaw: :laugh: The Whippets must have been hiding inside.

post-43174-0-96156800-1367663026_thumb.jpg

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Baby Dodger - what went wrong :laugh:

What colour is Dodger and what do you think he'd produce? Do whippets carry colour genes like horses do?

To my red brindle and white it could be a lottery, she doesn't have any dilutes until you get a few generations back.

The trouble with a lot of the Whippet pedigrees is that they don't necessarily indicate the dilutes correctly, there's also some amazing colour descriptions in there, so unless you've seen them in the flesh sometimes it's hard to tell exactly what they are.

What colour is Dodger and what do you think he'd produce? Do whippets carry colour genes like horses do?

This is Dodger now. He is a solid blue fawn. His mum is blue fawn and his dad is blue brindle. Whippet colour genetics is fascinating.

Here's a really good website

i have no idea what he'll produce. There is colour behind him but also a lot of solids. To a highly marked bitch? I'd expect some colour. Friend of mine recently did a solid fawn to coloured mating and got some solids (fawn and red brindle) and some brindle partis. Another got mostly solid brindles.

post-43174-0-93520700-1367665793_thumb.jpg

I'd love something 'not normal' lol it would follow on from my horse loves, appaloosas, my gelding is a large loud coloured black and white near leopard and my mare is a bay roan with some spots but the way she's roaning is unusual :)

Sounds like whippets are a little like them, the motto is 'never know what you are going to get' LOL

I'd love something 'not normal' lol it would follow on from my horse loves, appaloosas, my gelding is a large loud coloured black and white near leopard and my mare is a bay roan with some spots but the way she's roaning is unusual :)

Sounds like whippets are a little like them, the motto is 'never know what you are going to get' LOL

You can get black and white partis and roans in Whippet (check out the colours in the genetics link I sent you) but they aren't all that common.

I quite like solid whites but they are also uncommon and it's hard to get a good one. Here's a nice one though.

Kamada_s_Million_Dollar_Baby.jpg

Also, every ding they get is very obvious - marks on whippets are pretty common due to their thin skins.

You also get unusual markings like clown faces in Whippets.

Obviously temperament and confirmation like horses is of utmost importance but there is nothing wrong with loving colour and wanting it :D

I'm reading through the link and then it's links, bit like appy genetics, a lot to get your head around :)

Gorgeous white girl (I'm guessing).

This is Dodger now. He is a solid blue fawn. His mum is blue fawn and his dad is blue brindle. Whippet colour genetics is fascinating.

Here's a really good website

i have no idea what he'll produce. There is colour behind him but also a lot of solids. To a highly marked bitch? I'd expect some colour. Friend of mine recently did a solid fawn to coloured mating and got some solids (fawn and red brindle) and some brindle partis. Another got mostly solid brindles.

That outcome marries up with what I'm reading, they can have solid and parti or solid and extreme white or solid and Irish marked but never all of the 'other than solid' together, if that makes sense.

Lewis is quite pushy and can be a bit of a pain if not given enough to occupy his mind, I love it though, he is my velcro boy who would get inside my skin if he could.

Rommi is happy to lay next to you or touching your skin. She LOVES working as well and is very good but will work to a point, Lewis would work until he dropped dead from exhaustion if you asked it of him.

He did a 20km endurance trial and was still raring to go :)