What Is The Cheapest Quality Dry Food?

Ok, first post after years of lurking! Cotsco Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato IS Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream with Roast Salmon. I did all the research, all Kirkland pet foods are made by Diamond Pet Foods in the USA. I am absolutely stoked to find TOTW (made by Diamond) in a bigger bag and less than half the price.

If you don't believe me, just check the labels, even the phone number for advice is the same on both bags. Kirkland just repackage it into their own bags. The ingredients are identical. My dogs do brilliantly on it and for the price, it can't be beaten. Many of my friends are now using it after discovering the same thing, last bag I bought 2 weeks ago was $43 for 16kg.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, first post after years of lurking! Cotsco Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato IS Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream with Roast Salmon. I did all the research, all Kirkland pet foods are made by Diamond Pet Foods in the USA. I am absolutely stoked to find TOTW (made by Diamond) in a bigger bag and less than half the price.

If you don't believe me, just check the labels, even the phone number for advice is the same on both bags. Kirkland just repackage it into their own bags. The ingredients are identical. My dogs do brilliantly on it and for the price, it can't be beaten. Many of my friends are now using it after discovering the same thing, last bag I bought 2 weeks ago was $43 for 16kg.

Thanks Scarlett - that is really interesting. No Costco near me though unfortunately :(

Thanks Scarlett - that is really interesting. No Costco near me though unfortunately :(

Just make sure it's not caught up in the recent recall by Diamond Foods

Guest Maeby Fünke

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything that had been manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods.

Off Topic:

Since Oscar's diagnosis of Multiple Mast Cell Tumours, I have decided to feed a homemade diet and I won't be buying commercially made dog food again. I don't mean to scare anyone, or judge other people on what they choose to feed their dogs, but I have come to the conclusion that a dry food diet is one of the factors that have contributed to his condition.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything that had been manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods.

Off Topic:

Since Oscar's diagnosis of Multiple Mast Cell Tumours, I have decided to feed a homemade diet and I won't be buying commercially made dog food again. I don't mean to scare anyone, or judge other people on what they choose to feed their dogs, but I have come to the conclusion that a dry food diet is one of the factors that have contributed to his condition.

if you have a breed prone to MCTs, diet may have had little to do with it. :shrug:

Guest Maeby Fünke

Off Topic:

if you have a breed prone to MCTs, diet may have had little to do with it. :shrug:

I know what you mean and I have a good answer, but it's really hard to explain! :laugh:

I think, *because* his breed is prone to MCT's, that he shouldn't have a commercial diet...

For one thing, most commercial dog foods have the incorrect ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6. Too much Omega 6 has an oxidising effect on the body. I have done a lot of reading on what causes cancer in dogs (sorry, I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all :laugh: )... And I believe that cancer is caused by certain conditions in the body... And I think these conditions are a combination of: infection, inflammation, oxidisation, and over-toxification... And that this combination somehow has an effect on the DNA and causes genes to mutate, sending the wrong signals on a cellular level and causing cancer... Well, that's my theory, anyway (and some canine oncologists actually agree!) :laugh:

Sorry to take the thread Off Topic :)

I know what you mean and I have a good answer, but it's really hard to explain! :laugh:

I think, *because* his breed is prone to MCT's, that he shouldn't have a commercial diet...

For one thing, most commercial dog foods have the incorrect ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6. Too much Omega 6 has an oxidising effect on the body. I have done a lot of reading on what causes cancer in dogs (sorry, I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all :laugh: )... And I believe that cancer is caused by certain conditions in the body... And I think these conditions are a combination of: infection, inflammation, oxidisation, and over-toxification... And that this combination somehow has an effect on the DNA and causes genes to mutate, sending the wrong signals on a cellular level and causing cancer... Well, that's my theory, anyway (and some canine oncologists actually agree!) :laugh:

Given your experience with MCT's I have no doubt you've researched them heavily.

The issue of course, is whether a home diet is automatically better. Bear in mind that due to commercial diets, some dog health conditions are pretty much a thing of the past. It's up to each of us to decide. I feed a mix of raw and commercial.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Given your experience with MCT's I have no doubt you've researched them heavily.

The issue of course, is whether a home diet is automatically better. Bear in mind that due to commercial diets, some dog health conditions are pretty much a thing of the past. It's up to each of us to decide. I feed a mix of raw and commercial.

Please understand that I'm not trying to 'preach' to anyone... I'm just trying to do all I can to keep my MCT-prone dog cancer free :)

One of the things I discovered, when I first started reading about canine cancer, is that oncologists recommend that you change from a commercially made to a homemade diet... This is because they believe that cancer thrives in an acrid (salty) and acidic (caused by high, refined carbohydrates) environment.

There is a leading oncologist called Dr Greg Ogilvie, and he recommends that dogs with cancer have a diet containing at least 70% protein... And Hills Science have a cancer-specific product that is based on his diet.

Again, I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all; I just find this stuff really interesting :)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Please understand that I'm not trying to 'preach' to anyone... I'm just trying to do all I can to keep my MCT-prone dog cancer free. One of the things I discovered, when I first started reading about canine cancer, is that oncologists recommend that you change from a commercially made to a homemade diet... This is because they believe that cancer thrives in an acrid (salty) and acidic (caused by high, refined carbohydrates) environment.

There is a leading oncologist, called Dr Greg Ogilvie, and he recommends that dogs with cancer have a diet containing at least 70% protein... And Hills Science have a cancer-specific product that is based on his diet.

Again, I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all; I just find this stuff really interesting :)

Jysus.. that's one hell of a load on a dog's kidneys! :eek:

If canine oncologists recommend a home made diet isn't a commercial cancer diet an oxymoron?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Guest Maeby Fünke

Please understand that I'm not trying to 'preach' to anyone... I'm just trying to do all I can to keep my MCT-prone dog cancer free. One of the things I discovered, when I first started reading about canine cancer, is that oncologists recommend that you change from a commercially made to a homemade diet... This is because they believe that cancer thrives in an acrid (salty) and acidic (caused by high, refined carbohydrates) environment.

There is a leading oncologist, called Dr Greg Ogilvie, and he recommends that dogs with cancer have a diet containing at least 70% protein... And Hills Science have a cancer-specific product that is based on his diet.

Jysus.. that's one hell of a load on a dog's kidneys! :eek:

I don't remember reading anything about a high protein diet being a strain on the kidneys... But I may have overlooked that because Oscar doesn't have a kidney problem. It's a very interesting point, though, and I may just look it up! :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

If canine oncologists recommend a home made diet isn't a commercial cancer diet an oxymoron?

Sorry, I missed this...

Apparently not - because the only one they recommend is Hills Science, which is based on Dr Ogilvie's diet. Personally, I wouldn't buy it because it contains beef (and I don't like feeding beef to dogs).

The problem with cancer is that nobody really knows what causes it - so you just have to try and cover all bases (well, that's my plan, anyway :) ).

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Sorry, I missed this...

Apparently not because the only one they recommend is Hills Science, which is based on Dr Ogilvie's diet. Personally, I wouldn't buy it because it contains beef (and I don't like feeding beef to dogs).

The problem with cancer is that nobody really knows what causes it - so you just have to try and cover all bases (well, that's my plan, anyway :) ).

Why no beef?

The problem with cancer is living causes it. You can certainly adopt strategies to lower cancer risk but sometimes it just bites you in the arse anyway. :(

Guest Maeby Fünke

Sorry, I missed this...

Apparently not because the only one they recommend is Hills Science, which is based on Dr Ogilvie's diet. Personally, I wouldn't buy it because it contains beef (and I don't like feeding beef to dogs).

Why no beef?

The problem with cancer is living causes it. You can certainly adopt strategies to lower cancer risk but sometimes it just bites you in the arse anyway. :(

I agree... It's pretty unfair :(

I'm about to have dinner, but I will be back with my theory about beef! :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

Sorry, sorry, sorry...

What I meant to say earlier is that oncologists recommend that you change to a *high protein/low carbohydrate diet*, and apparently this is best achieved through a homemade diet. And Hills Science make a cancer-specific one, but not all oncologists recommend it.

Does that make sense?

Sorry, sorry, sorry...

What I meant to say earlier is that oncologists recommend that you change to a *high protein/low carbohydrate diet*, and apparently this is best achieved through a homemade diet. And Hills Science make a cancer-specific one, but not all oncologists recommend it.

Does that make sense?

Yep. Most seem to warn owners off grains.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Okay, this is my theory about beef :laugh:

I don't feed beef because, out of all the meats, it has the second lowest levels of Omega 3... And it takes the longest to digest, so it has a heating* (as opposed to a cooling) effect on the body. Now keep in mind that this idea is based on theories from Alternative/Traditional Chinese Medicine, so not everyone is going to agree with it.

In terms of highest levels of Omega 3, the list goes: chicken, pork, lamb, beef, then kangaroo.

*In Alternative/Traditional Chinese Medicine, eating a diet containing too many 'hot' foods can cause an imbalance in the 'liver energy' (Qi or Chi), leading to conditions like skin allergies and arthritis.

Edited because I forgot kangaroo.

Edited by Maeby Fünke