What Is The Cheapest Quality Dry Food?

Hi all,

Funds have gotten extremely tight for me of late and so I have to look at some dry food alternatives to Artemis (current food). My girl is predominantly fed raw but I like to feed dry food every few nights for various reasons.

I have been looking at Black Hawk which seems to be marketed as an affordable quality food but have noticed that Canidae is very close in price (depending on the online store) and seems to have better ingredients.

Anyhow I am looking for something I can buy in bulk, that doesn't cost the earth and then some, but is also considered a quality and healthy food.

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think recently there was this supposedly premium brand grain free dog food (that was sold by Saveway/Woolworths) discussion somewhere here in this forum. A lot of people testified it was good. Can't remember the brand name, though.

Otherwise, I do recommend the Canidae All Life Stages. Generally pretty good online prices.

I think recently there was this supposedly premium brand grain free dog food (that was sold by Saveway/Woolworths) discussion somewhere here in this forum. A lot of people testified it was good. Can't remember the brand name, though.

Otherwise, I do recommend the Canidae All Life Stages. Generally pretty good online prices.

That would be the VIP Grain Free from Woolies, my two greys have been on it for about 8 months now and I'm very happy with the results

$29 for a 7kg bag.

I second the VIP grainfree dogfood from Woolworths.

It is a basic dogfood using grainfree alternative which from memory is sweet potato.

You can always add some Omega 3/6 oil to it.

I have been feeding the VIP also - the ingredients look just as good to me or even better than some of the premium brands. I wouldn't think that Canidae is inexpensive though?

I can find a 20kg bag for $100 which is on par with the Black Hawk.

I will check the local Woolworths for the VIP Grainfree. Thanks for the suggestions.

Pailin if you have a Costco near you there is a food, Kirklands All Natural or Natural Selection (or something similar it's in a blue bag with a Sibe on it) that is grain free and about $40 for 15 kilo.

My dogs love it and have been doing great on it.

Edited by Bjelkier

Pailin if you have a Costco near you there is a food, Kirklands All Natural or Natural Selection (or something similar it's in a blue bag with a Sibe on it) that is grain free and about $40 for 15 kilo.

My dogs love it and have been doing great on it.

Unfortunately, no. There does not appear to be any Costco stores in QLD. Thanks though- sounds like a real bargain!

Holy wow, I need to go to Costco, I've heard really good things about Kirklands!

The normal one (ie; non grain free) looks horrid, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole (personal opinion, YMMV).

I have been looking at dog food content and have found that the cheapest commonly available quality dry food to be Optimum.

Actually, Costco Kirkland is the best (again based on content) for the price. They're under $50 and if you read reviews online they are rated even higher than expensive brands such as Royal Canin.

I have been looking at dog food content and have found that the cheapest commonly available quality dry food to be Optimum.

Actually, Costco Kirkland is the best (again based on content) for the price. They're under $50 and if you read reviews online they are rated even higher than expensive brands such as Royal Canin.

Never heard of Kirkland brand before but a quick review tells me thsi is good stuff!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/kirkland-signature-dog-food/

I'll be interested to grab one. Especially from Costco where you buy things really cheaply in bulk (how can it not be bulk for a Labrador?!)

Hi Jess, Kirkland is Costco's own brand so they are only available from Costco. From my experience with Kirkland products they are not at all like Woolies Homebrand, etc... they are more at par with quality brands.

Never heard of Kirkland brand before but a quick review tells me thsi is good stuff!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/kirkland-signature-dog-food/

I'll be interested to grab one. Especially from Costco where you buy things really cheaply in bulk (how can it not be bulk for a Labrador?!)

That review is totally weird, and I'd be questioning his opinions of a lot of those fillers and ingredients!

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1031&cat=all