Cocker Spaniel Needs Help

I knew one person that went through dogs like they were dirty socks. In the time I knew her she never kept a dog past 3 years of age and had over 6 of them in a 3 year period. Her excuses for getting rid of them were stupid. Some people just shouldn't own dogs.

I don't know this little one's story but I hope he now gets the wonderful home he deserves.

The pound will be so stressful for him:(

Yes, I thought the same thing.

Depends a lot on the "accommodation" and the people looking after him. If they are experienced and caring, he might even feel a damned sight better than he would have living with people who sound inexperienced and not really in tune with a dog's needs.

Going a bit OT...is the pound stressful for all dogs, do you think?

I would hope that a cocker x may be so happy to have company and some understanding that it may feel a bit more relaxed than constantly getting into trouble or not having company. That is going on my incredibly limited (to 1!) knowledge of the breed. I reckon that, as much as Hector loves being here, he may well have preferred the pound to his previous home. Obviously, a caring home environment is going to be better, though.

ETA Just saw your post DD :)

Edited by Tintin Jac

Going a bit OT...is the pound stressful for all dogs, do you think?

I would hope that a cocker x may be so happy to have company and some understanding that it may feel a bit more relaxed than constantly getting into trouble or not having company. That is going on my incredibly limited (to 1!) knowledge of the breed. I reckon that, as much as Hector loves being here, he may well have preferred the pound to his previous home. Obviously, a caring home environment is going to be better, though.

ETA Just saw your post DD :)

As you would have seen from my post, TintinJac, I think it is a valid question. I am sure for some dogs, for a while, the right pound might seem like a haven (if not heaven :) ) for some dogs. Warmth, food, company, gentle hands, ailments and neglect addressed, etc etc. Depends on the pound, depends on the environment the dog has come from, lots of variables.

Have a look at May's thread too (15 year old cattle girl). From Nic's description, May seemed to be happy and confident in her few days spent there.

I will help anyone to rehome their dogs and spend a lot of time doing it, I always ask if they have others helping as well, this lady said no and now find out that Burkes has spent a lot of time as well and this is the end result.

I am sure people think we have nothing else to do but take their dog.

I am hoping he settles in the pound, he will probably get more attention now than what he has got for the first 17 months of his life, he has things to look at, people walking by, walking etc no wonder he ripped up their garden and had no respect for the young owner.

I will call in today to see how he's going and report back, also see what they have told the rangers.

Maree

CPR

Dog was adopted I did say to the rangers that I hoped his new owner is home a lot otherwise he is going to be no better off than where he came from and may end up back there, I am going to positive with this one without judging the new owner, I just don't know anything about them.

Maree

Wow, I hope he was properly assessed prior to adoption and went to a home that understands his issues. I also hope that they disclosed fully his issues and didn't put him in a home with younger kids who might grab his collar without realising.

Wow, I hope he was properly assessed prior to adoption and went to a home that understands his issues. I also hope that they disclosed fully his issues and didn't put him in a home with younger kids who might grab his collar without realising.

The staff passed on his history to the new owner along with his meds, I am thinking positive about this one and feel the new owner knows about his issues and will deal with them, I can't imagine they would take on the dog with known issues and just dismiss them, people usually bypass these types of dogs, we will know if it goes belly up if he ends up back at the pound or is listed on Gum Tree/allclassified.

Maree

CPR